LIVE From The Flower Power Cruise: Peace, Love & Rock & Roll On The Infinity

vtcruising

2 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Wow, Marilyn...it looks like you had a marvelous time...I finally had time to read all of this!  Thanks for sharing!

Suzy

Yes, it was wonderful! We can't wait until next year!!

You must be getting excited about your upcoming cruise!! Are you going LIVE?

Thanks again for your righteous review✌️😎  Following your adventures has been so much fun. Will you do your Blu review, and Edge/Infinity comparison here, or in a separate review? 

What did you use to upload your photos? Only 19 more days....

Edited by Silkroad

4 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Thanks again for your righteous review✌️😎  Following your adventures has been so much fun. Will you do your Blu review, and Edge/Infinity comparison here, or in a separate review? 

What did you use to upload your photos? Only 19 more days....

I am working on the final review - hopefully will be done today or tomorrow. It is harder to get my hands around than I thought it would be - a very intense experience! That, coupled with the post-FPC depression, has hampered my writing. 😉  Our cruise buddies have been texting up a storm and are also in FPC withdrawal so we can commiserate.

I took pictures and videos with my iphone and they are uploaded into Shutterfly. I brought my laptop on the Edge and using Shutterfly worked well. For some reason, my laptop would not connect to the Infinity WiFi and I just gave up and just posted using my iphone and directly adding photos and videos. I do much better on my laptop, hence the posting errors!

19 days! I can't wait to hear how you like your cabin and the Edge! It's funny, but now that people have altered their expectations about the IV, they seem to often be enjoying them more than they thought they would. The same thing is true of the lack of smaller lounges and other Edge differences. Before our last cruise on the Edge, my DH and I talked about changing our expectations for the Edge since this is a totally different concept and we needed to let go of pining for S or M Class features - we really enjoyed the Edge for being the Edge! 🙂

• Like 2

14 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Yes, it was wonderful! We can't wait until next year!!

You must be getting excited about your upcoming cruise!! Are you going LIVE?

I am sure someone will...it would be great to have a variety of posters on one thread, sharing viewpoints and events.  Silkroad is the writer in our group of six; Yvette and I love to do pics...there will most likely be several!

I am still hoping that we can go, as I feel this way until the ship sails...always so many issues with my dad and pup!  However, both are  doing better than last week!

Edited by Lastdance

17 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I am sure someone will...it would be great to have a variety of posters on one thread, sharing viewpoints and events.  Silkroad is the writer in our group of six; Yvette and I love to do pics...there will most likely be several!

I am still hoping that we can go, as I feel this way until the ship sails...always so many issues with my dad and pup!  However, both are  doing better than last week!

Uh ohhhh, did somebody just try to throw me under the “live review “ bus?😱🤣  Seriously, I’m not sure I’m ready to go fully live. I wonder if there is still enough interest, as there have already been many excellent reviews. A non-live review takes an amazing amount of time, even without tons of photos to resize to the CC limits, so I can only imagine how much time a live review takes. 

Listen, my friend, you’re going to be there when the ship sails. Repeat after me...”must get to FLL before the 28th”. Chant it over and over until you’re at sail away with your crazy friends😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

As long as one of you guys keeps us updated! I hope your dad and pup stay stable so that you can have the cruise you have waited for so long. 🤞

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Uh ohhhh, did somebody just try to throw me under the “live review “ bus?😱🤣  Seriously, I’m not sure I’m ready to go fully live. I wonder if there is still enough interest, as there have already been many excellent reviews. A non-live review takes an amazing amount of time, even without tons of photos to resize to the CC limits, so I can only imagine how much time a live review takes. 

Listen, my friend, you’re going to be there when the ship sails. Repeat after me...”must get to FLL before the 28th”. Chant it over and over until you’re at sail away with your crazy friends😎

You can have fun, but just "write home" to us once in a while. We will be dying to know what's going on!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, vtcruising said:

19 days! I can't wait to hear how you like your cabin and the Edge! It's funny, but now that people have altered their expectations about the IV, they seem to often be enjoying them more than they thought they would. The same thing is true of the lack of smaller lounges and other Edge differences. Before our last cruise on the Edge, my DH and I talked about changing our expectations for the Edge since this is a totally different concept and we needed to let go of pining for S or M Class features - we really enjoyed the Edge for being the Edge! 🙂

No pressure from me regarding your review. I just wanted to know where to look for it. Thanks for the photo tips. I intend to write a review, with photos, but I’m undecided about whether it will be live, semi-live, barely live, or post-cruise.😉 

I am sure I will love Edge herself, her art collection, many of her venues, and some aspects of our IV. We are still disappointed by the lack of forethought X displayed regarding the IV veranda dimensions & functionality. However, we had thought we might enjoy the additional privacy & space, and I believe we will. 

I agree that the three ship classes have many differences, and I would actually prefer that X didn’t try so hard to make them all seem exactly the same. It’s like saying we cannot have Ella, Aretha, and Adele as individuals, but must instead have a bland Muzak blend. Impossible!

We look forward to comparing our Concierge Veranda (last year) on Silhouette with our Concierge IV on Edge. Another thing I’ll compare is the Concierge presence & the Concierge amenities between the two ships. Our Concierge on Silhouette (Vannessa) was fabulous! She greeted us while we were waiting to check in, made sure we knew where to go for the luncheon, and provided helpful information almost daily thereafter. Above all, we’ll have a great time exploring Edge, being away from work, hanging out with our friends, seeking our personal Fernando🍷,  and did I mention being away from work?🤣

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

No worries, VT...it will happen, but we love to relax and also cause trouble onboard TA’s...it is what we do!😜

Silkroad...we would never throw you under the bus; ship, but not bus!🤪🤪

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lastdance said:

No worries, VT...it will happen, but we love to relax and also cause trouble onboard TA’s...it is what we do!😜

You beat me to it! I was going to tell her that if she looks for Edge on a spotter app, and sees this 😈🍹, instead of this 🚢, don’t worry 😉 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Silkroad said:

You beat me to it! I was going to tell her that if she looks for Edge on a spotter app, and sees this 😈🍹, instead of this 🚢, don’t worry 😉 

Now I am really sad about not being on that cruise - Trouble is my middle name! 😉

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Now I am really sad about not being on that cruise - Trouble is my middle name! 😉

Love it! We’ll be singing, “Bad girls, bad girls....” 😈  Of course, that quickly dissolves into a lot of laughter.

If only we could add Cheech & Chong, and John Belushi (RIP) we’d have crazy perfection😜

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Love it! We’ll be singing, “Bad girls, bad girls....” 😈  Of course, that quickly dissolves into a lot of laughter.

If only we could add Cheech & Chong, and John Belushi (RIP) we’d have crazy perfection😜

I would love following an impromptu hourly/daily group feed.  Bring it on!

• Like 2

I will first do an overall review of the Flower Power experience and then do an Infinity review.

Booking:

They have outgrown their success with this cruise - last year they said that ~ 85% of the people rebooked for this year and the cruise was sold out within a week or so after the cruise. They do have a fair way for people on the waiting list for a cabin or for changing their cabins. Every Tuesday night at 8:00 PM, a list of any available cabins is posted and it is first come first served. The agents are very nice if you have any questions.

Program:

This being our third FPC, we have seen the experience evolve and improve in many ways since the inaugural one in 2016. There are more musicians and activities now, which has pluses and minuses. The pluses are obvious - more variety and fun! The minuses are that there is more to squeeze into the venues and it is hard to not try to do it all (my DH just can't help himself and stayed up until 1:30 every morning). They said that there will be 50 bands onboard next year - our friends said that my DH will be in a coma next year, trying to see them all.

They seem to try to have a balance of bands, with a few headliners and a mix of other 60's bands so that there are favorites for all. They also have several tribute groups/individuals (the Beatles tribute bands are especially wonderful and even have a guy who does a great Ed Sullivan) and a couple of talented current bands who cover 60's music. This year they had the Newbies and the LSB's - both were excellent and worth hearing on their own right. They also have Hal Bruce who is an excellent performer (singer/guitarist) and is often performing in the Foyer or by Cafe al Bacio.  Peter Asher has been the host for the last few years and does an excellent job of introducing bands (he usually has known them for years so always has some interesting stories to tell). He also does a show that is phenomenal in the theater and an acoustic show in Constellations at midnight one night that brings in most of the entertainers for one last blow out. The acoustic show is informal and lots of fun. The talent in the room is over the top.

They also have had Joel Mason, a great musician and comedian doing shows and helping with events like Family Feud, Gong Show, trivia and a comedian - last year we had the Unknown Comic (hysterical guy - the one who would come on the Ed Sullivan show with a bag on his head) and this year Cheech and Chong.

They also have had the Beatles expert and Woodstock expert each year for lectures (this year they had the couple who were on the cover of the Woodstock album), trivia, a wine tasting with some of the performers and a Vow Renewal ceremony with Peter Asher.

They have one big show each night, one at 6:30 for the Gold group and one at 9:00 for the Silver group. They may or may not have the same show at night, but both groups will see all 7 shows. I’m not sure how they choose the headliners (the acts that are done on the 7 nights in the theater). Sometimes we feel that some of the groups that are performing in the smaller venues are actually more talented than some of the headliners. It may have to do with the bands’ contract demands. There are shows at the pool every day, generally 2-3 of them at 11, 2, 4 or 11PM. There are shows every night in the Constellation Lounge and in Rendezvous.

Highlights:

-Beach Boys were a surprising highlight for me  - I wasn't really into the early surfing and car songs as a wee lass (I was a bit young when they started out), but did like Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations. For their concert last week, I liked it all! They did not stop playing for ~ 90 minutes - what a great scene and there were good vibrations in that room! When they did Wouldn't It Be Nice? and In My Room, I was teary - love those songs - they meant so much to me way back when!

-Jefferson Starship - What a great concert that was!   David Freiberg, at 85, could still belt it out and Cathy Richardson was magic in White Rabbit. Jude Gold was fantastic on the electric guitar and Donny Baldwin amazing on the drums. Their Q+A was very interesting as well. I would love to see them again.

-Peter Asher as the host and his shows were just amazing - we laughed, we cried, we took a trip back in time. Very, very special feel - I would go to a show with him reading the phone book! 😉

-Gary Puckett and the Union Gap - We did not like his show that well in 2016, but really enjoyed it this time. He is a really nice person, very introspective and put a lot of feeling into his songs. I melted with Young Girl - that was my song back in the day. Again, I left the concert with a lovely feeling of happiness.

- Chuck Negron of Three Dog Night - This pool concert was so much fun - his voice sounds great (despite needing to be attached to oxygen), his band so good and we were rocking by the pool. The energy and happiness were palpable! My favorite songs were One and Easy to Be Hard - they sang them beautifully!

- The Box Tops - They only sang twice on this cruise - I hope they will invite them to come back! The  group has some excellent musicians and a great backstory. Their Q+A was so interesting. Bill Cunningham is a fascinating person - I loved listening to his interview. They sang really well and were very charismatic. The Letter and Cry Like a Baby were favorites for me. Hope to see more of this group!

-The Cowsills - They are an interesting band (started out as 5 brothers and their little sister, Susan and their mother - the Partridge Family TV show  was based upon their story). Some of the brothers have passed and John Cowsill is the drummer for the Beach Boys now. Susan, Paul and Bobby sing as the Cowsills and really perform well. They seem like such nice people and are so down to earth and friendly. We loved their Q+A - they pick on each other like siblings do and have had to work for a living so have some interesting stories. Their energetic concerts were so much fun and they were asked by some of the bands to come up and join them for a song. My favorites were Hair, The Flower Girl, Indian Lake. It was a real thrill to chat with them in the elevator and then joke around with them in the Ocean View Cafe at 1:30 AM after the midnight show.

-All the pool concerts were such a blast!  In addition to the Chuck Negron and the Cowsills, we enjoyed the Yardbirds, who were extremely talented and rocked the ship. The Family Stone was phenomenal and a favorite of ours. The Ides of March were also top notch! Joel Mason's Rock Comedy was excellent - a fun mix of music and comedy.

-The jam sessions in Constellation were fantastic - so much talent on this cruise and everyone was generous with sharing the spotlight with other bands and tribute artists. It made these less-rehearsed sessions so much fun!

-Cheech and Chong were a highlight - naughty, but couldn't help but enjoy it. We will talk about that show for a long time!

-The Gong Show - This talent show for the guests was so much fun and a highlight for me the last two years.

-All the Q+A's and Live interviews of the performers were fascinating looks into the lives of the performers and the origins of groups and songs. It was a fun trip back into the past.

-Beatles and Woodstock lectures - such a pleasure to learn more about the music and events of the 60's from people with in-depth knowledge and love of their subjects.

- The hosts, MC's - Peter Asher, Jason Venner and Joe Johnson are all very professional, very funny with great comedic timing and good at asking questions of the performers. They were the glue!

Misses:

-Tommy James and the Shondells concert - This was held in San Juan in the Pan Am Terminal right next to the ship. I had heard that Tommy's wife was ill and he wanted to do just one concert and get back to his wife (I also heard that he didn't like water or being on ships). Since the theater couldn't hold all 2000 people, they set up the terminal as a concert venue and billed it as a "stadium-style" venue (like we went to as teens). They gave us cushions to sit on and coupons for a free drink (and the option to buy more drink coupons ahead of time). The night of the show we ate at Le Petite Chef and weren't done eating until 6:30 (concert started at 7:30). We went to line up and had a very short walk from the ship to the venue. It had a combination of folding chairs and bleachers. We got there too late for the chairs so were in the bleachers. Luckily for my knee, we had front row seats on the bleachers. We actually could see the stage well and were happy that we weren't in the sea of chairs. The cushions turned out to be of no use - they were way too thin for our old butts. 😉

I went to the drink line to get a water for me and a coke for my DH - neither of us felt like drinking at that point. I ended up giving my drink coupons I had purchased to some happy guy in line and we had a nice chat while waiting. It was finally my turn to get drinks and I went to one of the available bartenders. I asked for a Coke and a water. The bartender didn't speak much English and poured Jack Daniels in 2 cups (lots of it) and I said "No, please just a water and a Coke." He then poured water in one of the cups of Jack and Coke in the other. I kept saying "no, just water and Coke." I finally gave up and took them. I can tell you right now that Jack and Water is horrible and the Jack and Coke was barely drinkable. We ended up throwing those away and just laughed about it.

The concert started and Tommy James was quite personable and they rocked the place, but the acoustics were horrendous and the music way too loud. We stayed for a half hour or so and then went back to the ship to see the Box Tops. I am sure that Star Vista got an earful about the concert and won't try that again soon. They had tried hard to come up with a solution but just didn't know that the acoustics would be so bad most likely. I think everyone would have dealt with the discomfort if the concert was pleasant to listen to - my DH had one ear that hurt for a couple of days after the concert. This band was never a favorite for either of us (though like ther songs Crimson and Clover and Crystal Blue Persuasion), so we weren't really disappointed. We did feel for the people who were big fans.

-The Theater works well for concerts at night. People who want the front row line up an hour or more early and those of us who are happy with an end seat in the middle can get there 30 minutes ahead of time as they open the doors. We always got decent seats with just half the group in attendance. Unfortunately, they do many concerts of the "lesser" bands and Q+A's in Constellation and they often fill the venue and some don't get in (they do put in the FPC FAQs that these are first come first served). We have learned to get there early to get decent seats, sometimes leaving other events early. We have learned to live with this and take turns getting seats - we bring a good book and know exactly which seats we like so know where to find each other. Many of us have suggested changing these popular events to the theater (though they may conflict with sound checks for the nightly concerts) or have Gold and Silver separate events. I think this is the biggest complaint that they get - it is sad for people to be turned away from a favorite band concert or Q+A. They do often have autograph signing after the Q+A's so they could join in for that at least.

Those were the only significant issues for us in an otherwise fantastic FPC experience. There were some trivial issues that we just dealt with because the overall experience is so worth it. We go with the flow and relax and embrace the whole Love and Peace mantra onboard.It makes for a wonderful experience!! ✌️❤️

Things I wish I had seen/done:

- I never made it to the morning yoga/meditation - it was up on the Rooftop Terrace and those steps were a bit much for my knee this year. I was up early every day and it would have been fun to join in - I hope to do that next year, if they return.

-Trivia with the performers - some of the trivia sessions were led by the band members. Hope to do some of those next year.

-Karaoke would have been fun on this cruise - I never made it it to one of those sessions.

-Vow Renewal with Peter Asher - We had planned to do it but really wanted to go to the Cheech and Chong Q+A at the same time. Maybe next year...

-I wish I had a clone so that I could see and do it all!!

Next Year:

I am really looking forward to Peter Noone again - he has been on before and still has his voice, his moves and his million dollar smile!

Arlo Guthrie was my heartthrob during my hippie years so am so looking forward to him - I will freak out when he sings City of New Orleans and Alice's Restaurant!! I may even bring an album for him to sign, if he does signings. ❤️

The Buckinghams were a favorite last year so really looking forward to seeing them again.

The Hollies are still an excellent band (saw them last year) and the Grass Roots have a special place in our heart. Our first date many, many years ago was a Grass Roots concert at Thunder Road Race Track in VT. I still remember the magic of that fall night well. 😊

We haven't seen the Zombies before and love their music, so really looking forward to seeing them.

Most of all, we look forward to being part of a very special experience with 2000 other like-minded people. 😎

That concludes my review of the Flower Power Cruise portion (will review ship experience separately).  I've washed all of my tie dye shirts and put them away for next year, though we are still humming the 60's songs with big smiles on our faces. 😁

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thanks again for the great review , will check tomorrow to see what cabins are available for next years cruise should not spend the money since we already booked royal suite for rock and romance but Arlo is one of our favorite performers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, George C said:

Thanks again for the great review , will check tomorrow to see what cabins are available for next years cruise should not spend the money since we already booked royal suite for rock and romance but Arlo is one of our favorite performers. 

That's great that you got a Royal Suite.  Being a charter, does it still come with the usual RS amenities (beverage package, 2 bottles of liquor, internet package, etc.)?

50 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

That's great that you got a Royal Suite.  Being a charter, does it still come with the usual RS amenities (beverage package, 2 bottles of liquor, internet package, etc.)?

I believe so since you normally get all suite perks but not status like elite perks , but at least we have a amazing suite , will update after we sail . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, George C said:

I believe so since you normally get all suite perks but not status like elite perks , but at least we have a amazing suite , will update after we sail . 

That would be great, but should be nice either way!! 🙂

11 hours ago, vtcruising said:

That concludes my review of the Flower Power Cruise portion (will review ship experience separately).  I've washed all of my tie dye shirts and put them away for next year, though we are still humming the 60's songs with big smiles on our faces. 😁

Don’t put those shirts in deep storage! What about Woodstock? Please don’t tell me you’re wearing an ecru ensemble to Woodstock😱😂  You’ve got me humming the 60’s songs too. While reading your summary, I kept breaking into little song segments.🙂 

Thanks for your outstanding summary! Not having been on a music cruise, I’ve found your descriptions of the logistics very helpful. Reading your post, it suddenly “clicked” that the music cruise works very much like a professional conference on land (with more comfortable attire, better food and beverages, and much better music lol).

I’m still trying to convince myself that we can fit the 2020 cruise in, but we already have a long itinerary scheduled in May (and we have work schedules to juggle). Looking at the available cabin classes, I see no suites, but Aqua is still available. If you hadn’t gotten a suite, would you have booked Aqua again, or a Veranda instead?

Edited by Silkroad

17 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Don’t put those shirts in deep storage! What about Woodstock? Please don’t tell me you’re wearing an ecru ensemble to Woodstock😱😂  You’ve got me humming them too. While reading your summary, I kept breaking into little song segments as I read it.🙂 

Thanks for your outstanding summary! Not having been on a music cruise, I’ve found your descriptions of the logistics very helpful. Reading your summary, it suddenly “clicked” that it works very much like a professional conference on land.

I’m still trying to convince myself that we can fit the 2020 cruise in, but we already have a long itinerary scheduled in May (and we have work schedules to juggle). Looking at the available cabin classes, I see no suites, but Aqua is still available. If you hadn’t gotten a suite, would you have booked Aqua again, or a Veranda instead?

Oh yes, we will be wearing tie dye for Woodstock so they will need to come out then.🙂

Yes, it is sort of like a land conference, only more fun!

Yes, we would have kept AQ 1106 for next year, if the suite didn't come through. We did put down 1138, 1141 and 1140  (aft AQ with larger balconies), if a suite wasn't available, but doubt they were available. 1106 is likely available and very handy to the elevator/stairs (one floor down is the OVC) and for going outside on 11 for a short walk to the pool concerts and to the Constellation Lounge events. Everything was in good order in the cabin (AC, sliding door, etc., unlike our friends' AQ on 9, which had some issues).

We have a Jan cruise and a May cruise next year too and just not sure yet if one has to go since we are now committed to the FPC again...😞

Edited by vtcruising

25 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Yes, it is sort of like a land conference, only more fun!

I believe you😊 I meant in term of the logistics (needing to choose between three of your favorites seminars/bands scheduled simultaneously, needing to leave one early to get seats for another). 

Oh boy, you have a schedule like ours😂 We have one in December and the long one in May (not b2b, but same schedule impact).

Thanks for the Aqua cabin information. You mentioned some issues in Blu, and I know you’re planning to cover those in your Infinity summary, but do you think Blu is worth the premium over the MDR (on this ship)?

Edited by Silkroad

1 minute ago, Silkroad said:

You mentioned some issues in Blu, so do you think Blu is worth the premium over the MDR? 

I'm working on that review now. There were some complaints about the MDR from a couple of people on the roll call (no lobster or crab options, overall less quality food, felt rushed), though I know that is subjective. I think you would probably meet more people in the MDR, if that is important. We like the better service, less people/noise, a little more flexibility in timing (and chose our seats) and breakfast option in Blu (and our friends are in Blu). It is worth it for us, but others might want to save some $$ and go with the MDR, since the music is the main focus on this cruise.

I'll post the dining review with more info today. 🙂

• Thanks 1