Motion Sickness

3smithboys

My 16 year old son has been experiencing feeling motion sickness in the car recently. We’ve been cruising since he’s been little, and he’s never had a problem with motion sickness before. I’m so mad at myself because we were just at the dr and I mean to ask her about this... what are the best things to bring with us? I’m thinking it might be a real problem. Like we might need a prescription... (is there something that really help because I don’t want him not to have a good time.) We aren’t cruising until August, so I have time to contact the dr again if I need to! 

21 minutes ago, 3smithboys said:

My 16 year old son has been experiencing feeling motion sickness in the car recently. We’ve been cruising since he’s been little, and he’s never had a problem with motion sickness before. I’m so mad at myself because we were just at the dr and I mean to ask her about this... what are the best things to bring with us? I’m thinking it might be a real problem. Like we might need a prescription... (is there something that really help because I don’t want him not to have a good time.) We aren’t cruising until August, so I have time to contact the dr again if I need to! 

You've sort of answered your own question:  Back to the doctor.

And all the more so, if your son is having a new health problem/symptom that is continuing.  Could be several reasons for something like this (or nothing at all!).

GC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

You've sort of answered your own question:  Back to the doctor.

And all the more so, if your son is having a new health problem/symptom that is continuing.  Could be several reasons for something like this (or nothing at all!).

GC

Yeah, you’re right. I’ll give her a call. I guess since it’s has been off and on and he’s not much of a complainer, I didn’t think too much about it. Now that I was thinking more about the cruise I was thinking about how it could impact that; however, I should have her check him out again. 

Ask about meclizine. 

The OTC name is Bonine. You can get it at the grocery or drugstore.  Even my grandchildren took it when they started cruising before they were teenagers. One still needs it. 

I get motion sickness in theme parks, riding in cars as a passenger, and even in a glass bottom boat ride. 

I keep it in my purse just in case. 

Sometimes queasiness is a short term thing, just your body fighting something  off. 

Your son’s doctor can advise you. 

20 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Ask about meclizine. 

The OTC name is Bonine. You can get it at the grocery or drugstore.  Even my grandchildren took it when they started cruising before they were teenagers. One still needs it. 

I get motion sickness in theme parks, riding in cars as a passenger, and even in a glass bottom boat ride. 

I keep it in my purse just in case. 

Sometimes queasiness is a short term thing, just your body fighting something  off. 

Your son’s doctor can advise you. 

Bonine is advertised as being non drowsy but everytime I take it I fall asleep.Last year a TA suggested ginger capsules,2 a day prior to the cruise and 1 a day the first 3 days of the cruise.I tried it and it worked great.

A non-medication possibility is ginger capsules, which is herbal, so no side effects to be concerned with. Readily available at WalMart.

My cousin was very susceptible to the ship's motion, and found that ginger alleviated her nausea better than the prescription seasickness patches she tried, plus those patches can have some nasty side effects for some users.

I have no problem with ocean motion, but always bring some with me on every cruise just incase that changes. I have shared them with other passengers now and then when they were having a problem, and they worked well for them.

It might work for your son's car sickness too if he took a capsule before car rides.

16 hours ago, 3smithboys said:

Thanks for all of your suggestions and replies! I will definitely call the dr next week and check in.

Good idea to call his doctor.

Just adding on the positive side:  Not everyone who gets car-sick gets sea-sick.

Our granddaughter gets sick riding in cars but NEVER while cruising.  

18 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Good idea to call his doctor.

Just adding on the positive side:  Not everyone who gets car-sick gets sea-sick.

Our granddaughter gets sick riding in cars but NEVER while cruising.  

Thanks! That’s good to know. I’m really hoping that’s the case for him too. He’s never had a problem before and we’ve been cruising since he’s been little.

• 3 weeks later...