Arrival appointment....really?

HardyVA

20 hours ago, HardyVA said:

I just printed my Xpress pass and at the top it has Arrival Appointment 11:30-12 am.  Really?  We haven't sailed on Summit since June 2018 and it never had that before?  Are they serious?  We have always arrived by 10 am (sailed from Cape Liberty for the last 5 years). and have been on board by 11:30.  Is his something new?  

Crowd control. Arrive when you want. You won't be denied being processed in for your cruise. 

52 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wow... sorry to mislead you.    I erroneously assumed that Celebrity would be consistent on their check in process.   Silly me!

Perhaps it is for certain port or certain Captains Club level only.

4 hours ago, Ereggae said:

I checked in before this feature was implemented but I went back into my booking and added my own estimated time.   Celebrity may have assigned a time, which you can change either on the website or the app, based on your flight information.

....... or not bother to change it at all and just show up whenever you get there.

Most times we don't even know in advance what time we will be boarding the ship on embarkation day as there are too many variables involved.

The only requirement is that we must get there before the official cutoff time for allowable boarding (and in some circumstances there are even exceptions to that).

As others have explained, the so-called "assigned" time is just an attempt to spread arriving passengers out throughout the day so everyone does not show up there at the same time.

Friends who book inside cabins like to kid that they receive VIP treatment by arriving later in the day,  avoiding lines and getting immediate priority boarding without needing to pay big bucks for a suite.

As to concierge class passengers and all others who are eligible for the lunch in the main dining room on embarkation day, as long as you show up there before the latest time posted for the lunch, they will seat you and serve you.

So there is no need to rush to get there as soon as they open.  There are plenty of available tables and they don't run out of food. 😉

That is another place where they keep you waiting in line if you arrive early, but usually not if you come later.