Missing Port

lisagro

I know from reading other peoples' posts that Kona is a tender port, and sometimes the weather is bad, and the ship misses that port. What happens? Do you stay on the ship, or port somewhere else? I know some ships stay in Honolulu, but my ship will be in Maui the day before Kona, and is scheduled to be in Kauai the day after Kona. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks for your input.

15 hours ago, lisagro said:

I know from reading other peoples' posts that Kona is a tender port, and sometimes the weather is bad, and the ship misses that port. What happens? Do you stay on the ship, or port somewhere else? I know some ships stay in Honolulu, but my ship will be in Maui the day before Kona, and is scheduled to be in Kauai the day after Kona. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks for your input.

Check your ship itinerary. Does you ship dock in Kona or tender? We are scheduled on Radiance next May, and our itinerary says "docked" in Kona. We only tender in Maui.

1 hour ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Check your ship itinerary. Does you ship dock in Kona or tender? We are scheduled on Radiance next May, and our itinerary says "docked" in Kona. We only tender in Maui.

No cruise ship docks at Kona. It is a tender only port.

Now if you are talking about "Maui" as a stop, docking or tendering becomes confusing, because you can dock at Kahalui, or tender  (only) at Lahaina.

10 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

No cruise ship docks at Kona. It is a tender only port.

Now if you are talking about "Maui" as a stop, docking or tendering becomes confusing, because you can dock at Kahalui, or tender  (only) at Lahaina.

I swore I read "docked" in Kona, but can't find it now. I must have mixed it up somehow. I know we tender in Maui to Lahaina (on Radiance in May 2020).

3 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

I swore I read "docked" in Kona, but can't find it now. I must have mixed it up somehow. I know we tender in Maui to Lahaina (on Radiance in May 2020).

Sometimes the term "docked" is loosely and incorrectly used to mean a ship is in a particular area - though not necessarily at a dock.  CruiserBruce is quite correct, and a CC website puts it this way:

Port of Kona

While cruise ships call it "Kona," this stop on the western part of the island of Hawaii is actually a region rather than an actual city. Ships anchor in Kailua Bay and tender their guests to the Kailua Pier, which is right in the middle of Kailua Village, the historic heart of Kailua-Kona.

• Like 1