Akaroa Giants House

nicky6425

We walked from the tender wharf. It's flat arou d the bay, then a gentle incline up to the driveway leading to the Giant's House. The driveway and final lot of steps are quite steep but it's not a long climb and you can take your time. Plus the gardens go further up the hill. I made it up there a few years ago with a bad knee and very unfit. It's really worth making the effort though, beautiful gardens, interesting mosaic sculptures and stunning views.

Hi OzKiwi.  I'm not the original poster, but I'm also interested in the Giant's House.  I think I want to see it, but only if I can do it on my own (no excursion) and combine it with whatever else I find around Akaroa (lighthouse for one thing) to interest me.  (I love just walking around and taking pictures.)  SO - are you able to give me an idea of how long timewise the walk might be from the tender wharf in minutes?  I'm an older but OK walker, not fast, but steady!    

That view I see from the Akaroa webcam is awesome. 

Also, this is off topic, but since you're from Sydney I can't help but asking this question, which is the reason I came on Cruise Critic this morning:  I'm not sure I want to tour the Sydney Opera House, as I have my own, somewhat unusual plans for Sydney (Watson's Bay exploration, or brief Luna Park visit for another).  However, I would like to walk around the building but NOT take a tour.  If I do that, is there anything inside the Opera House that I could take a look at (I'm a photographer) without paying to get in, tour, eat, or whatever?  And is there anything outside I could see other than the very outside of the building?  Sea lions?Building from an inside passage?  Thanks.  

It would probably take around 30 minutes to the Giant's House walking steadily. I can't be totally sure as it was a very hot day when we did it a few years ago.

You can go into the Opera House foyers without a tour but I'm not sure about anything else. Probably not for security reasons. No sea lions, sorry. 

• 2 weeks later...

We visited the Giants House a few weeks ago (were on Solstice with OzKiwi) and I would say it's a 20 to 30 minute walk. We did it on our own and we're glad we arrived at opening time (11) so it was a bit less hectic. The walk is a steady incline up from the port area and then a very steep climb of about a block up to the stairs.

and I would highly recommend the one hour tour of the Sydney Opera House!