Trip to Cairns

3 hours ago, bostonstrong17 said:

We are booked on the Ovation next February.  At the end of the cruise ( March 12th) we are considering flying to Cairns from Sydney to see the Great Barrier Reef.  Is March an ok time, weatherwise, to visit Cairns.

Thats the cyclone (hurricane)season and very unpredictable.It could be ok or the whole north could be washed away.

As Chilli says it could go either way, we have had great weather visiting March/April, and massive Cyclones, it is really the luck of the draw, make sure you have insurance to cover you, then hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Edited by GUT2407

12 hours ago, bostonstrong17 said:

We are booked on the Ovation next February.  At the end of the cruise ( March 12th) we are considering flying to Cairns from Sydney to see the Great Barrier Reef.  Is March an ok time, weatherwise, to visit Cairns.

The weather is fine with a couple of caveats.

It's the wet season, so it will rain. It's tropical rain, so the best option is to ignore it and dry out later.

It's the cyclone season. Although you would have to be very very unlucky to visit Cairns at the same time as a cyclone. The last big cyclone to hit Cairns was probably Yasi in early 2011.

It's stinger season. So you have to wear stinger suits when snorkeling, even out on the reef.

Apart from that it's fine. Seriously, it actually is.😀

If that’s what you want, I would book it but HAVE A ALTERNATIVE PLAN.

If the weather is bad you’re travel insurance should cover cancellations and do something else.

I lived in port Douglas for 6 years and you don’t know.

• 2 weeks later...

It differs from year to year. We have been in Cairns 20 years and there is no consistency. Up until last week we have had rain pretty much non stop. It is the wet season/cyclone season but that shouldn't stop you coming up for a visit. Today the weather is spectacular! We haven't had a big cyclone come through Cairns for many years (hope I haven't just jinx myself).