New to Disney Cruise Line

maryandmarge

Planning cruise to Disney with family members in 2020.    Can anyone tell me if the queen beds in the balcony room can be split into 2 separate beds like on other cruise lines?    Looking at pictures it seems they have one big headboard so it wouldn't allow them to split them.    2 Grandmas sharing a room and would like separate beds.    Am I missing something in my searches?   Looks like we will probably be on the Disney Magic.    I appreciate any feedback you can give me.    I'm sure I'll have more questions as we go along but for now that's the only one that is jumping out at me.    

2 hours ago, maryandmarge said:

Planning cruise to Disney with family members in 2020.    Can anyone tell me if the queen beds in the balcony room can be split into 2 separate beds like on other cruise lines?    Looking at pictures it seems they have one big headboard so it wouldn't allow them to split them.    2 Grandmas sharing a room and would like separate beds.    Am I missing something in my searches?   Looks like we will probably be on the Disney Magic.    I appreciate any feedback you can give me.    I'm sure I'll have more questions as we go along but for now that's the only one that is jumping out at me.    

As noted, the queen bed cannot be separated.  Time was it could - it was two twins (as on other cruise lines), but that changed a number of years ago.

Besides the queen bed, there's a sofa bed.  Not your typical pull out (uncomfortable) sofa bed, but a pullman-style fold down bed (twin size).  And some rooms also have an overhead bunk bed (also twin sized).  There are also Murphy beds in some of the Family Oceanview rooms (again, twin size).

315888435_fantasy20144Averandahbedsopen23091P10305661500.thumb.jpg.ed389ba55a5b8fb39755ecc34c9f9d0f.jpg

Thanks so much for the information and the picture.   I was afraid that's what someone was going to tell me about not being able to split the bed.  I've slept on the regular sofa beds that you had to fold out and it wasn't the most comfortable but I was on vacation with 2 sisters and right next to the balcony doors which at that time we would leave open at night so I thought I had the best spot.   The sofa bed in the picture doesn't look bad at all.   The other Grandma has never cruised so I would give up the bed to her if that's what we end up doing.   We are trying to plan the best and most cost efficient way for us to do this trip for 13 people:  2 adults and 2 kids - 2 adults and 3 kids / 4 grandparents consisting of one couple and 2 grandmas....this should be fun!!  Any suggestions people might have on that stateroom possibilities would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again and happy travels

Just out of curiosity, are you locked into Disney? Don't get me wrong, it will be a great experience, but another line might be more cost effective, plus you will get beds that split.

A few years ago, DCL made the decision to have standard queen beds since the bulk of bookings are families (1 set of parents and kids) in the same room. It appears to be the exception to want the beds split, so they went with a single bed.

Thanks for the suggestion.  They have their heart set on checking out Disney Cruise ship.    We've done a week at a Disney Resort the last 2 years and they decided this would be something different and fun for the kids.    The kids range from 3 - 8 so it's more about the characters on this cruise than the cruise itself.    I'm pretty sure this will be one and done because of the prices on Disney.   The price for a 5 day Disney cruise is comparable to what I'm pricing out for a 13 day NCL New England fall foliage from Quebec to New York this fall which includes the air fare.   So this one is all about the kids....  I welcome any comments   

• 1 month later...

I'm following this with great interest as we are planning a 2021 Disney cruise with our 3 adult children and their young families.  We are just waiting for the itineraries to open up and will be searching the most cost effective way of getting us all on!

7 minutes ago, canuckgardener said:

I'm following this with great interest as we are planning a 2021 Disney cruise with our 3 adult children and their young families.  We are just waiting for the itineraries to open up and will be searching the most cost effective way of getting us all on!

The most cost effective way is to book on opening day.  Typically prices go up on DCL as the space fills, and the lowest prices are then on starting day.

• 2 weeks later...

Connecting rooms can help given the littles a bit more room to  move.

You can also save money by putting some folks across the hall in an inside cabin.  Where you are signed up and where you actually sleep can be different.  DCL does't do bed checks. 🙂