Palermo, Italy transportation question

styles27

Hi, 

Does anyone have any insight on getting from the cruise port (we’ll be on MSC Divina) to public transport?  This is the only port we haven’t booked a tour and we’re wondering if we should or if we can get around on our own.  

Just looking to get to some sort of seaside town for lunch and maybe wander around shops etc.

You may not even need public transport.  If you are planning on just walking around downtown then you can simply walk from the port.   Palermo is a pretty large metropolitan area with a real downtown having shops, stores, and restaurants.  Not sure what you mean by "some sort of seaside town" but that is the kind of thing you should research before your visit.  If you want to go out of Palermo, doing so via bus might be a challenge due to routes and the language barrier.  

Hank

On 4/11/2019 at 12:14 PM, Hlitner said:

You may not even need public transport.  If you are planning on just walking around downtown then you can simply walk from the port.   Palermo is a pretty large metropolitan area with a real downtown having shops, stores, and restaurants.  Not sure what you mean by "some sort of seaside town" but that is the kind of thing you should research before your visit.  If you want to go out of Palermo, doing so via bus might be a challenge due to routes and the language barrier.  

Hank

Thanks Hank...my error,  that should have said some sort of “seaside restaurant” for lunch, not town. I need to proofread before hitting submit.

We’ve been watching some youtube videos of walking from the ship to different landmarks, like the cathedral and the old historic part of town.  It looks pretty easy.

We’ll download some street maps to our phones also.

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

Thanks Hank...my error,  that should have said some sort of “seaside restaurant” for lunch, not town. I need to proofread before hitting submit.

We’ve been watching some youtube videos of walking from the ship to different landmarks, like the cathedral and the old historic part of town.  It looks pretty easy.

We’ll download some street maps to our phones also.

I will share our favorite thing in Palermo.  It is a very macabre place called the "Capuchin Catacombs."  You can Google this place and from your own opinion, but visiting this place will have you talking for days :).  The capuchin catacombs are NOT within walking distance of the pier but can easily be reached by taxi.  We went out there by using the local buses (which can get you within a couple of blocks) but the bus system has its own challenges.

Hank

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I will share our favorite thing in Palermo.  It is a very macabre place called the "Capuchin Catacombs."  You can Google this place and from your own opinion, but visiting this place will have you talking for days :).  The capuchin catacombs are NOT within walking distance of the pier but can easily be reached by taxi.  We went out there by using the local buses (which can get you within a couple of blocks) but the bus system has its own challenges.

Hank

We just watched a video on the Capuchin Catacombs...very interesting indeed!  We just may have to check that out now that you’ve recommended it! 

We drpveinto, and through Palermo several times on our 2/3 week driving holiday in Sicily.   I would not bother trying to get transport to some other seaside town.  Lots to see and do in Palermo.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1