Sold out a year ahead?

Teedlebeet

•  

I really want to go on a particular RCL cruise in March of 2020. It looks like they are only doing this particular itinerary for one 11 night cruise. We are a year out and it is showing all the balconies and the suites are sold out. What are the chances of a balcony opening up? Has anyone experienced this? Should I book a window room and try to upgrade later? Do rooms open up closer to the sailing date now that they mostly do non-refundable deposits?

Just to be clear on a point you made, RCI does not now do mostly NRD's.  The refundable option is always available at a higher stateroom rate.  The NRD rate is the lowest rate offered and by default is what appears first when looking a pricing.  It is always your choice as to which option and pricing level under which you wish to book. 

The cruise lines prefer NRD's as that tends to limit the amount of booking changes that would be made by a customer, with the incentive being a lower price.  But refundable deposit rates are always available and are quite frequently used.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

I agree with checking around at different travel agencies. If you really want to do the cruise, book it and keep an eye out for a better room. I assume March is peak time due to spring break. I notice my March cruise had the suites book up a year in advance (albiet there are probably few suite cabins). Did you try vacations to go?

• Like 1

A travel agent is the way to go. Different agencies will buy up cabins to offer them at a discount price vs the cruise line. One that I use is Cruise One. it is the largest. However the againt is the key to helping you. Booking with the same travel company can bring you perks not offered by any cruise line. Usually more OBC. Cruise one probably has an agent in your town. one great thing about that. You can go and sit with them and discuss your wants and needs.

A great site to check on any cruise, ship or cruise line is vacations to go. I used them for many years till I found Cruise One. Sometimes however, vacations to go may also have a better deal.  There website is about 95% accurate and mostly up to date. You can get an idea of the cost of a cabin immediately. however, remember it will be the lowest price but probably not for the cabin you want. Even though. A great starting point. No taxes or port charges are included. you can get that info from the cruise lines website. If it shows a price for a cabin, it is probably available. maybe no the exact one you want. So check both of them out for your RCL March 2020 cruise.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...