Nieuw Statendam obstructed view verandah stateroom on Norway cruise worth it?

zzzz8888

I'm thinking of going on the 14 day Voyage of the Midnight Sun cruise on the Nieuw Statendam.  I definitely want a verandah stateroom - and the obstructed verandah staterooms seem to be a good deal.  However, the nonobstructed verandah staterooms don't seem to be that much more expensive.  How obstructed are the views?  Is it worth it to save a few hundred dollars on an obstructed verandah stateroom - or should I just bite the bullet and get a nonobstructed verandah stateroom?  I'm leaning more towards the latter because I would make full use of a nonobstructed verandah stateroom on a Norway cruise as I can imagine the views will be spectacular.

If I'm paying to have a veranda, then I want to be able to see what's out there. Norway has gorgeous scenery, and I would hate to have even part of my view blocked.
With the potential for rain, winds, and cold, sometimes it's necessary to switch seating position on the veranda to be comfortable. An obstructed view would limit the ability to move and still see.

Difficult one!

In most cases the 'obstruction' to the view is downwards or near. In Norway the view is mostly horizontal to upwards. From your verandah you will only see one side. Sometimes the bow of the ship is opened for viewing purposes and that is the place to be. Also there is a great view from the aft lido deck.

• Thanks 1

I think I would choose unobstructed for Norway.   The views, and the reflections in the water would make it worthwhile.  As VMax says, you probably will want to go to the bow, if it is open, but if you happen to be in your room at a time when the scenery is good, you'll want to be able to see all.  And in the fjords, you'll go in, turn around and come out, so you will have the ability to see both sides.  We even decided it would be worth having a Neptune suite for the expansive views.