First time TA embarcation tip question

alex_drew

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. We've cruised many times but always starting/ending in the US, so as this is our first time on Cunard and the first time embarking in Southampton, my question is: should we tip the baggage handlers at the port in US dollars or in pounds?  In the US we tip the baggage handlers when they take our bags at the port but in the US these baggage handlers are not affiliated with the cruiseline and I'm just not sure how that works in the UK.  I know that on board QM2 everything is charged in USD, so just want to make sure what is appropriate for the baggage handlers in Southampton, pounds or USD?  Thank you so much for your help with this; when I was trying to organize things  for this cruise earlier today I said to my husband "I'll just post on CC and they will let me know what is correct".  I am very grateful for the info/knowledge on CC!

• Like 1

The baggage handlers in Southampton are employed by the port authorities.

It’s not necessary to tip the  porters, if fact they take away your baggage so swiftly you’d probably not have time to tip them 😀. If you feel that you must tip them, then £s please.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, turnip eater said:

The baggage handlers in Southampton are employed by the port authorities.

It’s not necessary to tip the  porters, if fact they take away your baggage so swiftly you’d probably not have time to tip them 😀. If you feel that you must tip them, then £s please.

Enjoy your cruise!

(bold is mine) That's usually been my experience. I tell them which bags to take, look down to check that I've got all my carry-on stuff, and when I look up the porter and my bags are already on their way.

12 hours ago, alex_drew said:

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. We've cruised many times but always starting/ending in the US, so as this is our first time on Cunard and the first time embarking in Southampton, my question is: should we tip the baggage handlers at the port in US dollars or in pounds?  In the US we tip the baggage handlers when they take our bags at the port but in the US these baggage handlers are not affiliated with the cruiseline and I'm just not sure how that works in the UK.  I know that on board QM2 everything is charged in USD, so just want to make sure what is appropriate for the baggage handlers in Southampton, pounds or USD?  Thank you so much for your help with this; when I was trying to organize things  for this cruise earlier today I said to my husband "I'll just post on CC and they will let me know what is correct".  I am very grateful for the info/knowledge on CC!

If you are going to tip anyone in the U.K. please use Pounds Sterling. I usually give people who help me a two pound coin (there are no one or two pound notes) for every bag. 

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

If you are going to tip anyone in the U.K. please use Pounds Sterling. I usually give people who help me a two pound coin (there are no one or two pound notes) for every bag. 

Ditto!

Tips are more and more becoming the norm in GB as well as in the US. Up until now they just have been lower by about half.

3 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

Ditto!

Tips are more and more becoming the norm in GB as well as in the US. Up until now they just have been lower by about half.

Not sure where you get this information from. The UK is no where near the US in its tipping ‘requirements’ - mostly because the way that wages are structured is different.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mickb said:

Not sure where you get this information from. The UK is no where near the US in its tipping ‘requirements’ - mostly because the way that wages are structured is different.

After 44 visits of 2 -7 weeks each  to London we have noticed TIMES HAVE CHANGED. No longer do you  round up to the nearest Pound but rather most restaurants add 10-12 % tips. Other service people have their hands out similarly to big cities in the US. The amounts are somewhat less but nevertheless tips.

This may vary outside of the Capital.

Thank you all so much for this information; it is exactly what I needed.  We will have our tip (in pounds) in our hands when we arrive at the port, so will be able to tip the hard-working porter(s) before they disappear with our bags! 😊

• Like 3