Skagway - Car rental vs. DIY Jeep

Jhawktraveler

Our group of 4 adults will be in Skagway in late July on a HAL cruise and plan to rent a vehicle to drive the Yukon Highway.  Options appear to by the diy jeep or a regular rental car company like Avis.  The Avis rental for a mid SUV is cheaper than the jeep but I'm wondering if there are benefits to the jeep rental vs. regular rental.  I would appreciate in pros and cons of either from people who have used one or the other (or both).  Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

We did that drive a few years back in a small rental car - its a well taken care of highway, a jeep isn't necessary unless you're going off road somewhere.  Our little car made it up the hill just fine.

• Thanks 1

There is no benefit to driving a jeep on the Klondike Highway  ( NOT the Yukon Highway,  unless you go there on the way to Whitehorse??)     You can NOT go off road with a Jeep rental,  and is purely a more costly option.    In the past a few snacks were included,  with Green Jeep?    

• Like 1

I think I read on their website that they have new iPads that give commentary in the jeeps.

@pbenjamin I’m interested to hear how you like it? We are thinking of booking for early June, but I have booked a regular car in case it isn’t worth it.

6 hours ago, LessWorkMoreTravel said:

Also, we have a Jeep and the back seats are not very comfortable. We are renting a car from Avis when we are there. 

That is funny, and I agree. We rented a jeep in St. Marten and my DS11 in the back seat said he no longer wanted to have a jeep.

• 3 months later...

Update....we just returned from our trip and ended up renting with Avis instead of the DIY jeeps.  It was definitely less expensive and a car is absolutely adequate, maybe even preferred.  We had a small Subaru SUV since there were 4 of us and it was very comfortable.  I downloaded Murray's Guide which was very helpful to track our progress.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jhawktraveler said:

Update....we just returned from our trip and ended up renting with Avis instead of the DIY jeeps.  It was definitely less expensive and a car is absolutely adequate, maybe even preferred.  We had a small Subaru SUV since there were 4 of us and it was very comfortable.  I downloaded Murray's Guide which was very helpful to track our progress.

Appreciate the follow-up; it's always nice when people come back to share their experiences.  We're renting a car from Avis in a few weeks, so this is great info.

• Like 1