Our Carnival Magic Spring Break Review

brookeq

Hayden and some cousins went and watched venom.

We decided to go around and  take funny pictures.   We made the three brother in laws get a cheesy picture together.

2019-04-05_23-08-33_000.png

We joined this fun couple for a pirate one.  If you are reading this sorry for barging in on your picture. 

2019-04-06_18-51-27_000.png

The teenagers took some really funny ones with the pianos.  I wish I had a copy of them. 

Amelia took some with her cousin and her friend that was also sailing.  They got along great all week.

2019-04-06_07-07-33_000.png

We spent some time at the alchemy  bar.  Mike had something blackberry.  I forget what I had.

2019-04-05_20-00-14_850.jpg

Hayden earned some money for the arcade for having good behavior.  My husband didn’t want to go with him so he loaded $25 to his card.  I explained to Hayden that the money goes fast so be smart.   Well he burned thru it so fast and insisted that he didn’t spend it all.   I knew one of us should have went with him.  He was so mad and couldn’t recover for the rest of the night.  

Edited by brookeq
photo placement
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 12:58 PM, brookeq said:

We had to get up really early for our day in Belize.  We booked a tour to the Xunantunich Mayan ruins.   Before I write about our day I am going to give a little information about choosing the tour and how we got some money back. 

We had been to Belize on a previous cruise when Amelia was 3 years old.   We couldn’t do a ruins tour because she was not old enough.  We ended up going to Goff’s Caye with Island Marketing and had a great day.  You can read about it my signature under the Carnival Dream link.  We liked our day there but I didn’t want to do  it again.  Our family decided that they wanted to do that, so they would be there.

We have been to Tulum and Chichen Itza before we had children and enjoyed the tours.  I like to have one non beach day if possible on a 4 stop cruise.  I usually don’t book tours thru the cruise company.  I like smaller tours or even private ones if possible like we did in Roatan.   And I like to find a good deal!   But the ruins are two hours away so I won’t risk it.  So we booked with the cruise line. 

The reason we chose Xunantunich:

1.        I wanted to see some big structures.  There were some ruins a bit closer but they didn’t look as impressive.  And they still weren’t that close.  Might as well go all out!

2.       The Lamanai ruins looked nice.  They were just as far but involved a bus and boat.  The kids have been on plenty of boats where they would not find that very exciting.  I thought the bus would be a good chance to unwind and just rest.  We would bring the tablets and they could watch a movie and unwind.  

I saw on the port of call board on here that people were getting the price guarantee for the Lamanai Ruins tour.  Not one person mentioned the Xunantunich tour.  But I figured it can’t hurt to try.  I found a tour online that was as close to the carnival description.  The amount of time wasn’t the same but I tried anyways.   I am happy to say that they sent me a confirmation email very quickly and were given on board credit for the difference.  $28 each for 2 adult tickets and $11 each for 2 kids tickets. 

Can you tell me more about the price guarantee?

3 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I feel the same way. No way will I go near them. Even if it was a freak accident, it happened to a pretty experienced person. Nope. Not going near them.

It is rare for them to release a barb. The problem was not the barb but that they pulled it out improperly . 

2 hours ago, brookeq said:

Hayden and some cousins went and watched venom.

We decided to go around and  take funny pictures.   We made the three brother in laws get a cheesy picture together.

2019-04-05_23-08-33_000.png

We joined this fun couple for a pirate one.  If you are reading this sorry for barging in on your picture. 

2019-04-06_18-51-27_000.png

The teenagers took some really funny ones with the pianos.  I wish I had a copy of them. 

Amelia took some with her cousin and her friend that was also sailing.  They got along great all week.

2019-04-06_07-07-33_000.png

We spent some time at the alchemy  bar.  Mike had something blackberry.  I forget what I had.

2019-04-05_20-00-14_850.jpg

Hayden earned some money for the arcade for having good behavior.  My husband didn’t want to go with him so he loaded $25 to his card.  I explained to Hayden that the money goes fast so be smart.   Well he burned thru it so fast and insisted that he didn’t spend it all.   I knew one of us should have went with him.  He was so mad and couldn’t recover for the rest of the night.  

Had to laugh at your son blowing through $25 in arcade. I have to tell you that when we sailed NCL Getaway with our daughter and her family in 2018, the Guest Services called my SIL on day three of our cruise to let them know that their children had already run up $600 worth of charges in arcade! 😱

It was the 80’s deck party night.  We knew about this ahead of time and were supposed to have a family costume contest.   We talked about it and confirmed before we left that each family would be participating.  Well only the kids ended up so I felt a little dumb.  I even made our fun costumes. 

2019-04-05_22-31-53_183.jpg

We were pac man and the ghosts.  Hayden refused to go.  I made him come just for the contest that didn’t happen.  So he was really mad.  He left after this picture. 

We headed to the deck party and were having a pretty good time.They taught some line dances to songs.   We danced to a few songs.   songs.  I don’t know what happened after those few songs because Amelia wasn’t feeling well and wanted to go back to the room.  So 80’s night was kind of bust for us.   I took her back and we went to bed.

2019-04-05_22-25-31_999.jpg

2019-04-05_22-32-18_456.jpg

Edited by brookeq
photo placement

Our last sea day...

I was up early as usual.  I went to the lido and got some hot chocolate and sat on one of the couches in the shade on deck 11.   I read my book until everyone got up.   

There were a ton of loungers open by the pool that morning.  But all of the couches/chairs in the shade on deck 11 had towels on them.   I guess everyone had enough sun.   I got a little burnt on the boat so shade it was for us.  

2019-04-06_07-51-54_202.jpg

When Hayden woke up he didn't want to go to brunch.  So he sat on our couch with the tablet and we went to brunch.  We met up with one of SIL.   I wanted to try the Michaels Crafts they had but brunch took too long. 

Here is a brunch menu for anyone who hasn't been on Carnival before.

2019-04-06_07-32-10_000.png2019-04-06_07-32-17_000.png

I had the mac n cheese with bacon.  It was pretty good.   My husband and Amelia had the chocolate pancakes.

2019-04-06_09-39-44_725.jpg

Edited by brookeq
photo placement

The guys went and played dodge ball.  Kids did the water slides a few times.   The ropes course was closed all day.

We played some mini golf.

2019-04-06_13-17-03_368.jpg

We also played shuffleboard down in the pub on deck 5.  And some fusball.  

2019-04-06_11-51-29_209.jpg

Hayden wanted to eat lunch.  He  loves noodles and finally could go to the pasta bar.   He really enjoyed it. 

We watched the hairy chest contest and the ice carving.  I read my book most of the day.  It was a fun but tiring week so I was happy to relax. 

Edited by brookeq
photo placement

We went to the chocolate extravaganza. 

2019-04-06_12-16-51_517.jpg

We had some desserts that were good.   This chocolate cake was probably the best.  

2019-04-06_12-20-27_748.jpg

The chocolate mouse thing in the middle of this picture was so gross.   I liked the desserts we had the conquest last year better.   

2019-04-06_12-20-29_348.jpg

Edited by brookeq
photo placement

I made a scavenger hunt list so the cousins did that.  They really enjoyed it.  They liked it so much the at three youngest (my two and one other one) kept making new lists and would  time each other.   My son participated for like an hour!

We did Groove for st. Jude.   No fun line dances like last time on the conquest and breeze. 

Amelia spent the last of her money on a blow fish cup.   She had been eyeing that up all week. 

None of the kids wanted to go to dinner.   We made  sure they ate.  Burgers/pizza I think.   The waiters seemed sad they weren’t there.  

2019-04-06_12-46-10_656.jpg

I got the mango soup.  I really enjoy all of the fruit soups.

I also got a casaer salad.  It was was to fishy for me today.

Mike got the flatbread.

I got the pork.  This was my only main course that I didn’t really like.  

My husband ordered the Indian/vegeterian meal.  He really liked it.  I tried to tell him all week to get that.   But he didn’t listen.  It was a lot of food.

Dessert was baked alaska.  I got a chocolate melting cake. 

Ooops edited because I forgot to add the photos of the food!

2019-04-06_18-37-45_147.jpg

2019-04-06_18-41-56_507.jpg

2019-04-06_18-57-45_150.jpg

2019-04-06_18-58-35_088.jpg

2019-04-06_18-58-37_287.jpg

2019-04-06_18-37-48_249.jpg

Edited by brookeq
add photo

8 minutes ago, brookeq said:

There were a ton of loungers open by the pool that morning. 

OMG...did some of the chair hogs...surrender?  That is almost unheard of, I wish I was on your cruise.  We can only cruise during the summer due to school and work schedules, which also is the time chair hog density is at its highest. 

3 minutes ago, Allura_317 said:

OMG...did some of the chair hogs...surrender?  That is almost unheard of, I wish I was on your cruise.  We can only cruise during the summer due to school and work schedules, which also is the time chair hog density is at its highest. 

I know I was shocked.   I have never seen that. 

There was a fight over chairs early in the week.  i did not witness it but many people on our roll call did.   The people on the roll call did say they saw the 40 minute stickers on chairs by the pool.  I wasn't down there.   

The chairs on the upper decks 11/12 seemed to be the ones that were always covered but not used.  I never saw any of the 40 minute stickers up here. 

i didn't get any chance to go on the serenity deck this trip so i can't comment on that.   Chair hogs were bad there our last cruise.  

Edited by brookeq
add more

We peaked in at the lip sync battle.

2019-04-06_19-44-19_901.jpg

And went to the balloon drop.  the kids put a ton of balloons in.  But didn't win.  it was packed down there!

2019-04-06_19-47-42_496.jpg

Edited by brookeq
photo placement

9 minutes ago, brookeq said:

I got the mango soup.  I really enjoy all of the fruit soups.

I also got a casaer salad.  It was was to fishy for me today.

Mike got the flatbread.

I got the pork.  This was my only main course that I didn’t really like.  

My husband ordered the Indian/vegeterian meal.  He really liked it.  I tried to tell him all week to get that.   But he didn’t listen.  It was a lot of food.

Dessert was baked alaska.  I got a chocolate melting cake. 

Ooops edited because I forgot to add the photos of the food!

2019-04-06_18-37-45_147.jpg

2019-04-06_18-41-56_507.jpg

2019-04-06_18-57-45_150.jpg

2019-04-06_18-58-35_088.jpg

2019-04-06_18-58-37_287.jpg

2019-04-06_18-37-48_249.jpg

We ordered the Cesar salad the first day and found it way too fishy, I avoided it the rest of cruise. 🤮

We used up the last bit of our on board credit and our free drink coupons for being gold status.  I purchased our photos too.

2019-04-06_20-55-54_294.jpg

The family got together to play games one last time.  And we took some pictures with the photo booth props i made and forgot about until I was packing!

2019-04-06_21-56-34_572.jpg

2019-04-06_22-27-40_965.jpeg

2019-04-06_22-28-14_513.jpeg

2019-04-06_22-28-15_930.jpeg

Edited by brookeq
photo placement

Oops I forgot to add that the main deck and the pool closed very early on our last night (maybe at like 4 or 5pm).   The sailing after ours was a chartered cruise.   Janet Jackson was set to perform  and so they were building her stage.  You couldn't access one of the bars and the whole pool deck area.  Lots of people were upset.  It didn't really affect us too bad.  It was annoying that the sail away and 90's party was down in the atrium.  It was just way too crowded down there.

Ours have done the kids club in the past.  they used to enjoy eating dinner with the kids club.   

This year They have older cousins that they went with.  They had to stay with them or go back to the room.  (my rule)  Guys burgers is open until 5 i think.  Pizza and deli are open late.  And there was always the buffet.   

• Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:41 PM, brookeq said:

I saw in the fun times that tea time was listed in the afternoon.  Amelia and I headed down to try it out.   My mother in law and her friend joined us.  We all enjoyed it.  The teas were under $2 (lipton was free).   My mother in law got a coconut one she enjoyed.  I had the mint.  The dessert cart was the best part.  The chocolate cake, apple crumble, and biscuit were very tasty.  My mother in laws friend loved the cucumber sandwiches (not my thing).   Overall it was a fun experience and my daughter says she would like to do it again. 

2019-04-01_15-12-49_295.jpg

2019-04-01_15-13-19_610.jpg

2019-04-01_15-13-16_693.jpg

Hey homies, tea time around here in the Burgh is a cold iron and a Primanti's haha! Thanks for the review, I hail from Beaver County, but am a Yinzer through and through. We got an upcoming in August on the Sunshine. Our last was the Pride out of Dirty Bird town, Baltimore. There were still a lot of Steeler jerseys, mine included. Everyone was good natured about it and some of my best acquaintances were Raven fans. Great cruise, that one. Talk atcha later n'at.

10 hours ago, chilly1470 said:

Hey homies, tea time around here in the Burgh is a cold iron and a Primanti's haha! Thanks for the review, I hail from Beaver County, but am a Yinzer through and through. We got an upcoming in August on the Sunshine. Our last was the Pride out of Dirty Bird town, Baltimore. There were still a lot of Steeler jerseys, mine included. Everyone was good natured about it and some of my best acquaintances were Raven fans. Great cruise, that one. Talk atcha later n'at.

We usually travel in the winter and always wear our Steeler jerseys in the airport.   I am not sure why we didn't wear our Pens gear this time.  Oops.