Our Carnival Magic Spring Break Review

brookeq

On 4/26/2019 at 10:26 PM, brookeq said:

It was.  I never had any interest in Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman.   I would hate that.   This was perfect.  They were friendly and would swim up to you  But if you were noisy or panicky they swam away.  So you didn't have to be near them if you didn't want to be.   

I found a private excursion in Grand Caymen that takes you to Sting Ray City.  We only have 4 of us and it is $500 for the boat but I am hoping to have an awesome experience like you did in Cozumel.  I also have had not desire to see the sting ray's but others do so I am going.  My sister experienced a sting ray barb in the Keys.  It was very rough that day and she was wading out into the water.  She stepped on it and the barb got her in the ankle.  It was very bad because it got infected and she spend 10 days in hospital on antibiotics.  They say you should shuffle your feet when walking out into the water because they like to lay on bottom and cover themselves with sand.  The Australian Steve was swimming and the barb got him in the chest.  I chose the small excursion because I don't want to be with 50 of my closest friends in the water with them. 🙂

3 hours ago, JaniceB said:

I found a private excursion in Grand Caymen that takes you to Sting Ray City.  We only have 4 of us and it is $500 for the boat but I am hoping to have an awesome experience like you did in Cozumel.  I also have had not desire to see the sting ray's but others do so I am going.  My sister experienced a sting ray barb in the Keys.  It was very rough that day and she was wading out into the water.  She stepped on it and the barb got her in the ankle.  It was very bad because it got infected and she spend 10 days in hospital on antibiotics.  They say you should shuffle your feet when walking out into the water because they like to lay on bottom and cover themselves with sand.  The Australian Steve was swimming and the barb got him in the chest.  I chose the small excursion because I don't want to be with 50 of my closest friends in the water with them. 🙂

I  agree.  All those people and all of those sting rays freak me out!   I like that there were only a couple of them..   If they came nearby I swam.  No standing.  i didn't like them at my feet.   🙂

I hope you have a great time on your trip.   

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 2:49 PM, brookeq said:

Hi Everyone.  We are finally settled back into our normal routine after our week cruise on the Carnival Magic...

Thank you for the great review.  we are on Magic January of 2020.  Different itinerary but loved learning more about the ship.

Edited by CruiseJB
spellinh

Getting off the ship:

Getting of the ship wasn't the greatest.   We got our luggage tags the night before on deck 5.   We were zone 3 or 4 I can't remember.   

We went to the dining room for breakfast.   We were not in a rush since we had a late flight home.   I know I had the avocado toast.   It was good.  Mike and Amelia had the pancakes.  

After dinner we met up with my MIL and her friend. and one SIL  Our other SIL was doing self assist.  They had to get to Orlando for their flight.

They kept announcing that the line was cut off and no one should come down.  I don't know what was going on but they kept announcing this.   We sat for a long time.  Hayden and the cousins played some cards and shuffleboard in the pub.  The area was pretty full.

2019-04-07_09-59-23_156.jpg

Finally they called down are zone and we headed down.   It didn't take very long once we got our luggage.  But overall this was the longest it took to get off the ship.  And that includes being in the last groups called.  

We rented a car from the enterprise at the miami airport.  I will never rent from the cruise rental car companies.  They run out of cars constantly and the line can take hours.   So we had to get an Uber.   That was quick.   

While waiting for our car at the airport we talked to my SIL who was on the way to Orlando.   She was in line to get off the ship with self assist as early as possible.  She said it was ridiculous there were only 2 customs agents to let people off the ship so it was taking forever.   

We got our rental car.  So did MIL and SIL.  We decided to meet up at Hollywood Beach and just walk around and have lunch. 

We ate at pizza place.  The pizza was huge.   

2019-04-07_13-13-37_135.jpg

We walked around and got ice cream.  None of the shops were that interesting and they were spread out   My mother in law got bored and just left when we were in a store.  Didn't even say goodbye to us.  Took her car went to the airport (different from us) and was gone.  I do not have the best relationship with her.  She doesn't make any effort with my kids.  But I never say anything.  But to not say goodbye to my kids or her own son when you wont see them for a year was just rude.     

My SIL had an earlier flight that us so we DID say goodbye to them.

We stayed a bit longer.  FLL airport is not my favorite.  We rented bikes for an hour. 

My son wanted one of these. 

2019-04-07_15-36-54_969.jpg

The rest of us rode around on this.

2019-04-07_15-26-29_872.jpg

We checked out the beach.  After the beaches in the Caribbean this one seemed blah.  We are so spoiled. 

2019-04-07_16-01-59_118.jpg

Finally we headed to the Fort Lauderdale Airport.  I hate the southwest wing.  There is nothing to eat there for our family.  JUst an expensive hamburger place and a mexican restaraunt with terrible service.   But we made do.  

The flight home was not fun.  My son didn't do any of his homework and now was mad he had to do it on the flight. 

2019-04-07_23-03-12_013.jpg

He cried and was miserable.   

2019-04-07_20-03-42_783.jpg

Amelia thankfully slept  

WE didn't get home until after midnight.  The kids had to go to school the next day because they have already been written up for too many days missed. (we had an out of town funeral and the flu this year.. bad year).  And we both had to go to work so we couldn't even take them in late.   

So it was a rough way to get back to reality.   

Edited by brookeq
photo placement
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, brookeq said:

WE didn't get home until after midnight.  The kids had to go to school the next day because they have already been written up for too many days missed. (we had an out of town funeral and the flu this year.. bad year).  And we both had to go to work so we couldn't even take them in late.   

So it was a rough way to get back to reality.   

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear this.  I hope everything improves!

This was a great review, thank you so much for taking the time to put it together.  We are cruising Fathers Day on the Magic and it can't come soon enough.  Hope you decide to book another cruise so I can follow along again!

1 hour ago, amyjoy202697 said:

This was a great review, thank you so much for taking the time to put it together.  We are cruising Fathers Day on the Magic and it can't come soon enough.  Hope you decide to book another cruise so I can follow along again!

Thanks. I  keep trying to plan a girls only cruise with my sisters and mom.  But so far only my mom has committed.  Have fun on your cruise!

Edited by brookeq
  • Like 1

I loved this review. I especially liked that you included pictures. Refreshing to read that other families have the same struggles.

Thank you for taking time to record the events you participated in. I know it takes time to do that and it's tempting to just have fun not take time to write stuff down.

We're sailing on the Magic in January 2020 in a cove balcony. I'm stoked already lol

5 hours ago, 1lizette1 said:

I loved this review. I especially liked that you included pictures. Refreshing to read that other families have the same struggles.

Thank you for taking time to record the events you participated in. I know it takes time to do that and it's tempting to just have fun not take time to write stuff down.

We're sailing on the Magic in January 2020 in a cove balcony. I'm stoked already lol

Thanks.  I actually really enjoyed writing this review.  It helped take away the post cruise blues. 

I have never done a cove balcony.  They look nice.  

On 4/29/2019 at 12:42 PM, Shamrock73 said:

Is this done to garner sympathy?

😆

As a Jag fan I do it. 🙂

To the OP, thanks for the review, less than a month out for us. Do you happen to know who the waiters were @ Alchemy?

45 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

great review!!

how much was the fishing with Pedro?  I don't do facebook..what is the best way for me to reach him?

also, how big was the boat? how many people can board?

The boat we were on could probably hold one more  person comfortably.  So maybe like 5 people.    He has a bigger boat also for money but not sure how many that can hold.  Our cost was $375 for the whole day.   I am not sure how else to contact them.   He has a phone number but no email.   

Edited by brookeq

13 minutes ago, hard_eight said:

😆

As a Jag fan I do it. 🙂

To the OP, thanks for the review, less than a month out for us. Do you happen to know who the waiters were @ Alchemy?

There was a guy and a girl but I don't remember.  sorry.  I didn't get down there as much as I would have liked.

I LOVE your 80's costumes.  I just now read through your review because I'm having an unusually slow day at work, but boy am I glad I did! it was great. we are taking this exact cruise in like, 658 or so days..no idea (New year's 2020 into 2021, so it's pretty far out there, but it's never too early to take notes)

Can I ask, what are your kid's age differences?  I have an almost 5 year old boy and an almost 2 year old girl and she has recently learned how to have amazing tantrums because my son is so good at them. :P 

I'm taking her on her first cruise the day she turns 2 so I can offload them into the kid's clubs and have a break.  we haven't had any kind of vacation since I found out I was pregnant with her, so momma needs a cruise!

Did your kids go to the kids clubs at all?  

again, thank you for sharing your experiences and for being so real with your review of your family as well as the cruise.  You are doing a great job momma-ing and one day, your son will look back and remember all these things and love you all the more.