Onboard currency exchange

rf52

We will be cruising soon on an itinerary that will require 3 different currencies (Euros, Norwegian Krone, and Pounds).  I plan on bringing some of each from home, and have tried to plan to bring enough of each. 

Does anyone know if the ship will exchange small amounts on board, once I have left a port and will no longer require it?  I could exchange it for the next currency, or simply back to american dollars.

The countries are Ireland, Norway, and Northern Ireland, in that order. 

I do understand that if Celebrity will exchange it, it won't be a very favorable (at least not for me) exchange rate.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

While I've seen minor exceptions in which currency exchange has not been available aboard ship, such transactions can typically be accomplished--within reason, sometimes there are upper limits on transaction size--at Guest Relations.  You are correct, the exchange will not be at the most favorable rates [for larger purchases or larger foreign currency purchases, credit card rates or ATM withdrawal rates can be better depending on the terms of your cards] but--when amounts are not large--convenience, at least for me in terms of securing "walking around" cash,  matters.

Please know that, as is true at many land-based currency exchanges, Celebrity will only issue and redeem foreign paper currency and not coin.  Some currencies--surely true for both Euros and Pounds--use coins at higher denominations than we use in The United States.  Though your instinct may be to pay for shoreside purchases with paper notes, you might want to exhaust your foreign coins first unless you want to bring home a collection of them.

If using credit cards in Europe, know that Visa tends to be most readily accepted while American Express is less commonly accepted...  Be sure to let your credit card issuers [and/or bank if you might use an ATM card] of your travel plans in advance of departure so as to reduce suspicion that your cards may have been compromised.

Edited by Xport

The ship will buy back your leftover foreign currency bills if it is a currency that they sell - and the exchange will be for USD - if you were to want it in another currency, that would be an additional sales transaction and exchange commission.

Since the ship has no minimum amount and no fixed fee in addition to the exchange rate, for small amounts their exchange commission is lower than the overall commission at some on-shore exchange agencies that do have fixed processing fees.