Drastic changes to FF miles programs

Hawaiidan

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Or, you could get a cash back card.  Cash can be used at any airline, hotel, restaurant, rental car agency, etc.  And, the value doesn't fluctuate.  

Check with some folks in Venezuela and Argentina about that last line.

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I wonder how much frequent flyer miles are worth on the black market in Venezuela?

Topic drift here, but a lot of airlines pulled out of serving Venezuela in recent years because the Venezuelan government set it up so they had to act as a pass through when people bought airline tickets there and then refused to release money used to pay for tickets to the airlines that were owed it.  So the answer would be 'not very much' for a while given the scarce number of airlines and routes from there and how hard it was likely to find award availability for a while there. (It's my understanding that the Venezuelan government has started to cough up at least some of the impounded funds so I'm not sure if that's seen a return to flights. I do know that the airlines who remain flying there typically do not allow crew to remain overnight in Caracas because of security concerns, so many airlines send them onward to the Netherlands Antilles until they're legal to fly again) 

My current airline strategy is to prefer Skyteam options, so I just stick with my Delta AmEx Platinum because I do generally reliably get more than 2 cents per mile cash value on award ticket redemptions with them despite the 'Sky Peso' reputation. I supplement this by using an AmEx Everyday card at grocery stores (2x member rewards points) and then holding those until the annual 25-30% bonus transfer for Air France/KLM Flying Blue, which changed the rules last year to make it easier to keep points from non-flight activity from expiring. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

I visited Zim a few years ago when breakfast at our hotel cost Z$10 Billion.

Say,,If you go again, I was recently told they they have 5 million US dollars that they would  like to send me...... Could you find time to pick it up for me....I will give you half. !!!

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The point is this:  those FF miles are worth whatever the airlines decide their worth. 

So too with currency....  Hey you like cash ...cool    To me cash is a liability in this economy.