I just booked my 18th Cunard voyage, Can you get too much of a good thing ?

Bigmike911

I just booked my 18th Cunard voyage. Another westbound T/A from Hamburg, So the answer in my case is NO. Interestingly enough, the 9 day westbound was 20% less in July 2020 than my 10 day westbound this year in September, and I got $800 OBC and the Drinks package too, for the exact same accommodation. I don't know if Cunard has suddenly gotten generous, or my Travel Agent has worked another of her miracles. When I figure out how to build a new Clock I will add it. 

Edited by Bigmike911
  • Like 1

No you can't get too much of a good thing. We will have our 20th Cunard voyage later this year.

But - shock horror - we have just booked our first non-Cunard cruise for August next year on P&O's new ship. Mainly because there will be no QE in Southampton next year which leaves us with little choice for Cunard.  Although we still hope to find something to fit in.

P&O have made sure there is plenty of choice in the school holidays so we're taking family. Also we fancy trying the Conservatory Suites which we booked.

I only hope the QE is back in Southampton for 2021. Having just two ships in Southampton next year is a bad idea IMO. They should have waited for the new ship in 2022 to drop a ship.

12 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

I just booked my 18th Cunard voyage. Another westbound T/A from Hamburg, So the answer in my case is NO. Interestingly enough, the 9 day westbound was 20% less in July 2020 than my 10 day westbound this year in September, and I got $800 OBC and the Drinks package too, for the exact same accommodation. I don't know if Cunard has suddenly gotten generous, or my Travel Agent has worked another of her miracles. When I figure out how to build a new Clock I will add it. 

Why do you keep coming back? What are your favorite things to do whilst aboard? I would love to travel on all the Queens some day. Alas, finances restrict me. But I am curious to discover what you love about Cunard voyages. 

11 hours ago, Tonopah said:

Why do you keep coming back? What are your favorite things to do whilst aboard? I would love to travel on all the Queens some day. Alas, finances restrict me. But I am curious to discover what you love about Cunard voyages. 

Those are good questions. Initially it was because the ship was new and destined to become the only ocean liner afloat today. QM2 is not a cruise ship.

Then after a few voyage, I came to value the variety and the competence of their speakers. And when you are at sea for seven days, these fill the time well, and I have actually learned a lot from them and enjoyed them as well.There is also plenty of other entertainment as well. 

Thirdly I have made friends who remain friends today. The guests are more mature, a bit more worldly, and as a result interesting people to get to know. I am of an age where people dressed more formally, and I enjoy wearing my good formal and informal clothes  for the formal events and dinners.  And I will have to say I agree with Lanky Lad on the quality of the food, and the service as well. 

If you find you only have enough to travel on one Queen, make it Queen Mary 2. 

Edited by Bigmike911
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Thank you for you response. I’m always interested to discover what people love about the Queens. We were on the Queen Mary 2 last year. We thought it was going to be a “once in a lifetime” experience but we loved it so much we have booked a crossing for next year. 

We missed much of the experience as we were traveling with an educational group and were in seminars every morning while crossing. But we so enjoyed our evenings and danced until closing in the Queens Room every night. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tonopah said:

Thank you for you response. I’m always interested to discover what people love about the Queens. We were on the Queen Mary 2 last year. We thought it was going to be a “once in a lifetime” experience but we loved it so much we have booked a crossing for next year. 

We missed much of the experience as we were traveling with an educational group and were in seminars every morning while crossing. But we so enjoyed our evenings and danced until closing in the Queens Room every night. 

Good for you. My first voyage was also my 'once in a lifetime' as well. The lady did her magic on us and now we have 18 sailed or booked. 

Edited by Bigmike911
  • Like 2

My first trip was also 'once in a lifetime' and our first cruise - a Westbound TA followed by a 5 night NY-NY calling at Boston and Halifax for our honeymoon. A little less than 4 years later we're about to do our 8th cruise (all with Cunard) and 3rd TA. So much for once in a lifetime!

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 10:11 AM, Ray66 said:

No you can't get too much of a good thing. We will have our 20th Cunard voyage later this year.

But - shock horror - we have just booked our first non-Cunard cruise for August next year on P&O's new ship. Mainly because there will be no QE in Southampton next year which leaves us with little choice for Cunard.  Although we still hope to find something to fit in.

P&O have made sure there is plenty of choice in the school holidays so we're taking family. Also we fancy trying the Conservatory Suites which we booked.

I only hope the QE is back in Southampton for 2021. Having just two ships in Southampton next year is a bad idea IMO. They should have waited for the new ship in 2022 to drop a ship.

I agree with you Ray - I hope Cunard brings QE back to Southampton in 2021 as she is my favourite ship. We are going on QV this November to Spain & Italy but haven’t looked in detail about 2020 itineraries yet - I expect I’ll do this ahead of our November cruise and if there is something which catches our attention, we’ll then book onboard or purchase a future cruise deposit so that we get the extra OBC.  If none of the longer itineraries appeal, then we might just do a short trip in 2020 and use the FCD for 2021 (assuming the full schedule will be available to book before the FCD expires). 

On 4/24/2019 at 9:22 PM, Lanky Lad said:

I say no, but my waistline may not agree. 🙂

We must be related Lanky Lad 😄

I commence my pre-voyage diet next month - a year in advance - but I need all the help I can get 😂

Can't be squeezing in to clothes on the way out!

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2019 at 10:49 PM, Bigmike911 said:

Those are good questions. Initially it was because the ship was new and destined to become the only ocean liner afloat today. QM2 is not a cruise ship.

Then after a few voyage, I came to value the variety and the competence of their speakers. And when you are at sea for seven days, these fill the time well, and I have actually learned a lot from them and enjoyed them as well.There is also plenty of other entertainment as well. 

Thirdly I have made friends who remain friends today. The guests are more mature, a bit more worldly, and as a result interesting people to get to know. I am of an age where people dressed more formally, and I enjoy wearing my good formal and informal clothes  for the formal events and dinners.  And I will have to say I agree with Lanky Lad on the quality of the food, and the service as well. 

I think you have captured it: in a nutshell, I would say QM2 has “evolved” less than most other ships - retaining more of what originally attracted us to sailing.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 3:49 AM, Bigmike911 said:

Totally agree with your valuing 🙂

We thoroughly enjoyed being on a voyage rather than a cruise.

We made good use of the lectures on our first voyage and look forward to doing so again.

We have remained in touch with a lovely couple with whom we were privileged to share table in the Britannia restaurant.

We are not clubbers but conversationalists and found both the company and the surroundings superb.

Hoping we will be just as fortunate next voyage 🙂

• Like 1