Coming back to RCI

My family and I (DH, myself (both in our early 40s) and 5, soon to be 6, year old boy/girl twins) will be sailing the Brilliance of the Seas, Western Caribbean Itinerary, next April.  We have sailed RCI before but it was before kids.  We've sailed NCL the past few years so I have a few questions regarding RCI:

1.) What are the children's programs like?  Does anyone know what the hours are?  On NCL you can drop them off for three hours in the morning, three hours in the afternoon and then there are night hours

2.) Talk to me about the drink package, the good, the bad and the ugly.

3.) We are deck 7 with a balcony, come to find out after we already booked it that it has obstructed views (I know, I know, I should have done my research prior to booking but it all kind of came together quickly), does anyone have experience with obstructed views on RCI ships?

4.) Talk to me about My Time dining, we are used to FreeStyle Dinning so give me the good, the bad and the ugly.

5.) Any other tips, tricks and things I should be aware of.

It's been 9 years since we sailed RCI so I imagine things have changed.  

Thanks for all your help!!

We were on Brilliance last year. Older ship, doesn't have a Royal Promenade but a huge atrium instead.  We liked much of the layout, especially round the Schooner Bar areas.

Dont have kids, so can't help on that.

Drinks packages are as you will know the subject of much debate here on CC.

We always buy them. On our first cruise they werent offered; the following year they were offered. We looked at our bar bill printout from the previous year and the package was about $100  cheaper.

It all comes down to the individual. If you enjoy a drink, without having a specific high-end brand that you simply must have, then the drink package works fine.  Bear in mind that all adults in the stateroom have to have the same package.

It does include soft drinks (you'll get an insulated coca cola cup to use) speciality coffees, water... these can quickly add up.

Restricted view balcony may just mean that you can't look directly down at the sea - you may look down on the outside edge of a lifeboat.

Haven't done MTD, always done traditional  so can't help on that.

We found staff on Brilliance excellent, and less pushy on the upsell than other RCL ships.

I'm sure you will get the details you need well before you sail.

Have a great time looking forward to your RCL return!

Specifically on Radiance class ships, the Deck 7 "obstructed balcony" cabins look onto the flat white cover over the lifeboats.  It's not a problem for me, but it means that you have to be standing up to look down onto the water.  When seated, you just look out over the sea, which works fine for me.

300balcony%20overhang.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Redsky5292 said:

1.) What are the children's programs like?  Does anyone know what the hours are?  On NCL you can drop them off for three hours in the morning, three hours in the afternoon and then there are night hours

2.) Talk to me about the drink package, the good, the bad and the ugly.

3.) We are deck 7 with a balcony, come to find out after we already booked it that it has obstructed views (I know, I know, I should have done my research prior to booking but it all kind of came together quickly), does anyone have experience with obstructed views on RCI ships?

4.) Talk to me about My Time dining, we are used to FreeStyle Dinning so give me the good, the bad and the ugly.

5.) Any other tips, tricks and things I should be aware of.

It's been 9 years since we sailed RCI so I imagine things have changed.  

Thanks for all your help!!

1. Pretty much close to the same as NCL. We took our grandson and DD with us last cruise on Anthem and she'd drop him off during the three periods at times, pretty much during our evening dinner he was there. At the time, he wouldn't do so well with us at the dining table (all over the place).
2. Drink packages are great. Did them once, but you have to look carefully at the cruise itinerary. On a med cruise you're gone all day and into the nights while in port so the value of the package is adversely affected and not worth the money (to us anyway).
3. Never had an obstructed view and hope we don't. One thing I know - I hope we never get stuck in a wheelchair accessible room again (urine smells from the spilled urine bottles at the bed side....the attendant filled us in so we moved to another cabin fortunately).
4. MTD - we've had to wait a while and we hated MTD because we love large tables with new people. With MTD you're stuck alone at a table for two mostly.
5. Get to the terminal early. Spend the night at the port the night before so you're well rested and not panicking about getting there on time. Buy t shirts and junk the last night of the cruise, you'll save 50% or more on shirts at least.

WELCOME BACK to the best cruise line!!!