Have you used cruisingexcursions.com

Just recently booked a British Isles cruise and stopping in Kirkwall in August. Private tours on our roll call are full for this small port of call.  I've contacted several tour companies and no luck with availability so far.  The ship still has tours available.

Has anyone used cruisingexcursions.com? They claim to have availability for the tour we're interested in; however, they're a consolidator like Viator and I'm hesitant to book with them, also requiring full payment in advance as many other companies do. Recommendations?

If you do a search, you will find MANY threads discussing the consolidators like Viator and cruisingexcursions.com. Yes,they are less expensive. But if you have any problems (and those other threads do identify possible and actual problems) it is sometimes hard to get answers and resolutions. We have experienced problems...

As a result many here prefer to go direct with local vendors.

• Like 1

I agree that the company is only the middle man so a lot will depend on who they use to do the tour you want to do - some good, some not so good s you have realised. 

We used Viator once and we were delighted but it is the luck of the draw. However it's a very small island so could you not use a local taxi company whether or not they're official guides

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies.  My gut had already said 'no'.  Success!! A private guide replied with just enough seats for us so it appears we're all set now. Glowing reviews, and a seven-hour tour at a reasonable price. She even threw in a great sense of humour! Result... happiness!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 5:29 PM, Adventures ahead said:

Thanks for your replies.  My gut had already said 'no'.  Success!! A private guide replied with just enough seats for us so it appears we're all set now. Glowing reviews, and a seven-hour tour at a reasonable price. She even threw in a great sense of humour! Result... happiness!

Where do you research to find private guides??

11 hours ago, travelingla said:

Where do you research to find private guides??

Where are you travelling? I may be able to recommend companies we've used.

Having a private guide to ourselves isn't in our budget. We often book 'independent' shared tours vs ship's tours. Some have a separate guide and others have a driver/guide where the driver is very knowledgeable but not a certified guide who can accompany you into sites. Sometimes, the ship's tour is the best option.

For cruisers thinking about independent shared tours, you'll find that some companies charge per/person, others charge for the vehicle. In that case, go to your roll call and find other passengers to join your group and share the vehicle. The potential problem with the latter is that there's a chance, that if someone didn't show up at the last minute and refused to pay, everyone would need to cover the extra cost. We've done lots of private excursions and this hasn't happened to us. If you're paying in advance, check the cancellation policy in case you're the one cancelling. 

For Kirkwall, the website for private guides (an association) is www.otga.co.uk. They can arrange for a vehicle. Send an inquiry and an available guide may respond to you. Once you settle on a guide or company, you can google them for reviews online.

For a shared tour, the roll call is your first stop. Someone may have already done the research and is looking for people to fill a vehicle.  

Good luck and happy cruising!

Edited by Adventures ahead
  • Thanks 1

First of all, if you do a search on Tripadvisor for Cruisiingexcursions you probably won’t book with them.

we did a private tour in Kirkwall as OH wanted to concentrate on WWII history. Before I booked I contacted the local tourist board who were ver6 helpful.

i believe there is a local shuttle bus which goes into the centre of town.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2019 at 12:41 PM, Adventures ahead said:

Just recently booked a British Isles cruise and stopping in Kirkwall in August. Private tours on our roll call are full for this small port of call.  I've contacted several tour companies and no luck with availability so far.  The ship still has tours available.

Has anyone used cruisingexcursions.com? They claim to have availability for the tour we're interested in; however, they're a consolidator like Viator and I'm hesitant to book with them, also requiring full payment in advance as many other companies do. Recommendations?

A friend from England, recommended them.

We booked them for a Shetland Islands tour, but  the ship missed the tender port due to weather

and they refunded our charge card without us even calling them.

So, they seem very reputable