Life hacks on board

Fixit2010

On 5/1/2019 at 11:40 AM, OT-Miami said:

We use a flameless pillar candle on the floor against the wall to illuminate the path to the bathroom at night.  I like the room very dark at night and this candle generates a soft glow at floor-level only.  It's just bright enough to avoid trip & falls without keeping me awake.  It also has a built-in timer so I don't have to remember to turn it on/off, which saves battery life.  Since actual candles are not allowed onboard I pack it in my carry-on to avoid a trip to the naughty room 😁

Pretty cool but I wondered why you felt it might be a naughty room item.  Not an actual candle and probably less dangerous than a cell phone.   Then it hit me (aha!).  I could see how they might mistake it for an actual candle.  

11 hours ago, Blazerboy said:

My hacks are all food related...

1. At lunch, go to the burger bar and order a Turkey burger.  It takes about 15 minutes.  While that cooks, go through the buffet, get some blue cheese on a small plate.  Right as your burger is ready, give the burger bar chef the blue cheese, and ask to have it melted on your burger.  Ask for the sauteed mushrooms, too.  Best burger ever! Add the sauteed onions to take it over the top.  And then gloat at dinner to your tablemates about the "custom burger bar" that only those in the know get to go to...

2. When they have the softer cookies at the ice cream bar, ask for two on a plate, then ask for a scoop of ice cream, and make your own ice cream sandwich.  Take back to the pool chair you've been hogging all day, and make everyone jealous!

3. Go to the salad bar, get some spinach, the good marinated olives and some artichoke hearts on a plate.  Find the charcuterie board, and grab some cured meats.  Then go to the pizza maker, and ask him to make you an amazing "Antipasto Pizza."   (Might be worthwhile to have a five-spot with you the first time).  Share a photo at the Martini Bar, and ask your fellow cocktailians if they've discovered the gourmet pizza specialty restaurant.  Note: don't try this on ships with Lawn Club Grille- it'll confuse the cruise newbies, making them spend unneeded hours standing up on the lawn at lunch, waiting for a pizza chef to come by, with nothing but some Antipasti to keep them from going hungry.

Andrew

number 1 & 3 are perfect. I never through of modifying with using stuff from the buffett 

Some good suggestions on here that I will have to try, especially the flameless candle and the straw/necklace idea!

We bring the over-the-door shoe organiser and put loads of stuff in the pockets, from suncream to packets of chewing gum. Works much better than having bits in a muddle in a drawer.

I always have a couple of plastic carrier bags to put wet shoes on. 

Earplugs and an eyemask.

Small first-aid kit, including plasters and I bring along extra medication in my checked bag as well as in my carry-on, just in case. I also carry copies of my prescriptions.

Eyeglasses repair kit. Even if you don't wear prescription or reading glasses you can do a quick fix to sunglasses.

This one may sound silly but we have used it on some cruises but not needed it on others - a little squeegie thingee to scrape the spray off of the balcony doors. 

Thermal mugs - I'm a poor sleeper and it's so nice when waking up in the middle of the night to have a hot drink out on the balcony. Very peaceful and beautiful! And we usually bring back a plate of pastries to the cabin in the evening to nibble along with the hot drink.

7 minutes ago, Railwaylass said:

Some good suggestions on here that I will have to try, especially the flameless candle and the straw/necklace idea!

We bring the over-the-door shoe organiser and put loads of stuff in the pockets, from suncream to packets of chewing gum. Works much better than having bits in a muddle in a drawer.

I always have a couple of plastic carrier bags to put wet shoes on. 

Earplugs and an eyemask.

Small first-aid kit, including plasters and I bring along extra medication in my checked bag as well as in my carry-on, just in case. I also carry copies of my prescriptions.

Eyeglasses repair kit. Even if you don't wear prescription or reading glasses you can do a quick fix to sunglasses.

This one may sound silly but we have used it on some cruises but not needed it on others - a little squeegie thingee to scrape the spray off of the balcony doors. 

Thermal mugs - I'm a poor sleeper and it's so nice when waking up in the middle of the night to have a hot drink out on the balcony. Very peaceful and beautiful! And we usually bring back a plate of pastries to the cabin in the evening to nibble along with the hot drink.

Great ideas and I have a couple more that I would recommend.

1.   Dental repair kit.   Includes dental glue to temporarily re-cement a crown that fell off and to fill a hole if you loose a filling.   I've never used mine but glad I have it in case of emergency.

2.  Cold Medications,  mosquito repellent if in an area with mosquito as well as a bug sting cream.