Life hacks on board

Fixit2010

On 4/27/2019 at 3:15 PM, Raella B said:

I like the over the door hangers too, great for keeping camera, charging cords, all kinds of things handy but out of the way.

On Equinox the soap tray in the shower is wire, I like to place a washcloth in the bottom to keep my razor from slipping through.

Magnetic hooks are great for everything, especially hanging your seapass inside the door.

Great idea for the soap tray! I’ve always had a problem with over door hangers they never seem to fit. 

If traveling with a group, a magnetic dry erase board for the door is great. That way you can leave messages for each other.

I like to take a Yankee Candle car air freshener, and keep it in the bathroom. It's small but does the trick.

I'm a shoe gal, so I bring a hanging shoe organizer to put in the closet. This keeps my shoes out of the way.

I take at least one european electrical plug adapter, and usually use that plug for my phone charger. USB chargers are all dual voltage,

I pack a stash of envelopes so I have them to use for tips at the end of the trip.

I also take a stack of ones for bar drinks, fives for porters, and twentys to put in those envelopes from the previous hint.

🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We went on a b2b2b2b2b, 67 days. I did a lot of research and got very creative to make use of all our cabin space. We used 2 magnets to hang a dowel which we used for more closet space. Hung a plastic hanger with 24 clothes pins that I used for drying under garments or swim suites. Had an over the door shoe storage, and a shelf hung from a magnet. It was our home away from home. 😀

Untitled_Message(1).zip Untitled_Message(2).zip Untitled_Message(3).zip

It is not necessary to bring envelopes from home as they are readily provided at guest relations.

They also exchange large bills for smaller ones (US currency).

They provide free meclizine upon request as well, so for anyone who is at all prone to seasickness, it is a good idea to stop by and pick some up early in the cruise, before you need it.

Edited by varoo

I also pack a "cruise bag"... an old zip top makeup bag with things like a rubber door stop from the $ store, cheap plastic poncho, room deodorizer, tiny sewing kit, velcro straps, little tea light for bathroom, roll of heavy tape, zip lock baggies, etc.  and just leave it packed all the time.

The past few cruises, I had to tape some papers over part of the a/c vent to direct the airflow so it didn't blow right on my head while I was in bed.  That was a life saver and it works great!  

We always pack the luggage with some bubble wrap.  You can then use it to wrap bottles or anything fragile on the way back.  If nothing else - it makes sure you have space in your luggage for everything you bought!  And loads of zip lock plastic bags for things that might leak.  After a disaster on the way out a few years ago with a leaky bottle and formal wear - we always double bag bottles just in case!

On 4/29/2019 at 6:31 PM, Luvcrusn said:

A strip of duct tape works also.

Yes!  It sounds odd, but we always bring duct tape!  We've used it for suitcase repair, to hold a drawer shut which opened and closed with the ship's movement, for the hair dryer button, and even once to repair a shoe.  😆

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BettyLou260 said:

I take at least one european electrical plug adapter, and usually use that plug for my phone charger. USB chargers are all dual voltage,

Can I ask what kind of European adapter you use?  I haven't found one that fits in that silly hole for the European plug.

We boarded a ship last year and it was pouring as we reached the port. We handed over our bags to the porters and went aboard. When our suitcases were delivered one bag (mine) had obviously met with a deep puddle or other VERY wet conditions, because all the clothing at the bottom was SOAKED. Guest services were very nice about laundering and pressing all of the items, but I now line the bottom of our bags with plastic wrap along the zipper seam for extra protection. 

Another hack that prevents leaks of bottles in transit, especially if you're flying to your embarkation port, is to place a small piece of plastic wrap over the bottle opening and then screwing on the cap, then placing the sealed bottles in plastic zip lock bags. We take extra plastic wrap for the way home as well. 

To keep necklaces untangled, slip one end of the chain through a drinking straw, then fasten the clasp.

• Like 1

We use a flameless pillar candle on the floor against the wall to illuminate the path to the bathroom at night.  I like the room very dark at night and this candle generates a soft glow at floor-level only.  It's just bright enough to avoid trip & falls without keeping me awake.  It also has a built-in timer so I don't have to remember to turn it on/off, which saves battery life.  Since actual candles are not allowed onboard I pack it in my carry-on to avoid a trip to the naughty room 😁

• Like 1

I purchased this over-the-door organizer from Amazon years ago: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002V91962/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like others have mentioned, it folds up very nicely and offers tons of organizing & storage space, so I take it with me on land and sea vacations to keep things neat and easy to find.  The hooks are slim enough to fit over the bathroom door.

1 hour ago, OT-Miami said:

We use a flameless pillar candle on the floor against the wall to illuminate the path to the bathroom at night.  I like the room very dark at night and this candle generates a soft glow at floor-level only.  It's just bright enough to avoid trip & falls without keeping me awake.  It also has a built-in timer so I don't have to remember to turn it on/off, which saves battery life.  Since actual candles are not allowed onboard I pack it in my carry-on to avoid a trip to the naughty room 😁

Great idea, using it to light the way! However, I have used flame-less pillar candles for years, as a cruise-ship night light. I've always packed them in my checked bags, and never had them flagged by security.

4 hours ago, Beachlover1989 said:

Can I ask what kind of European adapter you use?  I haven't found one that fits in that silly hole for the European plug.

Here is a link to a pic of the kind of adapter I take. These small adapters won't support a heavy plug, but work well for a phone charger. 

GUEST_0fc51780-bff5-41ce-8f8d-051dc375fd

GUEST_3aca8366-df2d-45c7-8633-9c7deed1c2

New to Celebrity, sailing on Constellation in the fall. Isn’t that a M class ship? Would it also lack a clothesline in the shower? Will it also be able to handle metal clips on walls? I am trying to plan in advance what extra supplies I might need for our inside cabin. 

1 hour ago, azalice said:

New to Celebrity, sailing on Constellation in the fall. Isn’t that a M class ship? Would it also lack a clothesline in the shower? Will it also be able to handle metal clips on walls? I am trying to plan in advance what extra supplies I might need for our inside cabin. 

There is a pull across line in the shower on Connie and the other M-class ships. The magnets should work on the cabin walls. 

On 4/28/2019 at 11:13 AM, chicagopaul said:

We always bring Downy Wrinkle Releaser. As we unpack and hang up shirts, pants, etc. we spray everything as we hang it in the closet. That way when it comes time to wear the items they usually only need a light spray or a quick hang in the bathroom (steam from the shower). 

Dryer Sheets! I notice sometimes if I'm wearing a blazer, etc. for a long period at night it might not smell perfect the next day, especially under the arms. An easy way to keep the coat smelling fresh is to place a couple dryer sheets in the jacket arms. 

Also like Cobeck1234 said above we bring a package of stationary for writing thank you notes or other notes throughout the cruise. The staff really seems to appreciate it and it makes us feel good too. 

Paul- a slight twist to this for you.  We do not carry the heavy bottles of Wrinkle Release.  Instead pack an empty spray bottle and some dryer sheets.  Once in your cabin add a dryer sheet to the spray bottle and fill with water.  Instant wrinkle release!  Try it at home if you are skeptical.  It really works.  Have been using this trick when traveling for years.

• Like 3

A thermal mug to keep the ice a little longer on those hot days.
A nice big smile. It's amazing how much of an effect you can have, by  just smiling. And if you are not feeling very 'smiley'. Go get your mug refilled.

• Like 3

I take a roll of Scotch Tape, a pair of scissors, a dollar store calculator (for adding up all our spending so the final bill is not a shock), small tube of crazy glue (had to fix a pair of shoes once and no one on the ship had glue, so I now carry my own), a small sewing kit, different sizes of band aids...large to tiny, alcohol wipes, and a positive attitude.  

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Paul- a slight twist to this for you.  We do not carry the heavy bottles of Wrinkle Release.  Instead pack an empty spray bottle and some dryer sheets.  Once in your cabin add a dryer sheet to the spray bottle and fill with water.  Instant wrinkle release!  Try it at home if you are skeptical.  It really works.  Have been using this trick when traveling for years.

What a great hack -- especially if you are flying to the cruise port!  You're not struggling to stuff more liquid into your carry-on 'quart bag', or worrying about having fabric softener leak into your checked luggage! When you're done, you just pour out the liquid, toss the dryer sheet, and pack away (or toss) the empty spray bottle! Will try this one, on my very next cruise! 😎

Edited by wwcruisers

31 minutes ago, SFLcowboy78 said:

If you have a drink package it starts the moment you board the ship.... You can't drink all day if you don't start early.

True - when we boarded our first celebrity cruise last year on Solstice, the first thing I said to my wife is "ok lets find a bar and get a drink"! she thought I was mad but I said we need to make the most of our drinks package!

• Haha 1

My hacks are all food related...

1. At lunch, go to the burger bar and order a Turkey burger.  It takes about 15 minutes.  While that cooks, go through the buffet, get some blue cheese on a small plate.  Right as your burger is ready, give the burger bar chef the blue cheese, and ask to have it melted on your burger.  Ask for the sauteed mushrooms, too.  Best burger ever! Add the sauteed onions to take it over the top.  And then gloat at dinner to your tablemates about the "custom burger bar" that only those in the know get to go to...

2. When they have the softer cookies at the ice cream bar, ask for two on a plate, then ask for a scoop of ice cream, and make your own ice cream sandwich.  Take back to the pool chair you've been hogging all day, and make everyone jealous!

3. Go to the salad bar, get some spinach, the good marinated olives and some artichoke hearts on a plate.  Find the charcuterie board, and grab some cured meats.  Then go to the pizza maker, and ask him to make you an amazing "Antipasto Pizza."   (Might be worthwhile to have a five-spot with you the first time).  Share a photo at the Martini Bar, and ask your fellow cocktailians if they've discovered the gourmet pizza specialty restaurant.  Note: don't try this on ships with Lawn Club Grille- it'll confuse the cruise newbies, making them spend unneeded hours standing up on the lawn at lunch, waiting for a pizza chef to come by, with nothing but some Antipasti to keep them from going hungry.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1