Alaskan weather in September?

kstrittm

Looking at booking a HAL Nieuw Amsterdam cruise September 14 - 21.  It is RT Vancouver with stops in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.  Does anybody have experience with a late season cruise?  How is the weather?  Are the tourist spots still open (i.e., stores, parks, etc.)?

Thanks in advance...

Spent September doing Alaska cruises 2 years in a row and the only guarantee about the weather is that no 2 cruises were the same. Best guess on temperatures is 50's to 60's, although I have experienced some really nice days in the 70's.

In mid/late September be prepared for rain. On both my years in Alaska we experienced 1 significant storm during the month of September.

Best advice is bring layers and good rain gear that cuts wind.

• Like 1

It might be 48, rainy and windy,  or it might be 60 and sunny.  

Look thru the late season trip reports posted at the top of the page to see what past travellers experienced.

Besides the risk of a Fall storm, the other big disadvantage to travelling late in the season is the loss of daylight hours. 

3 hours ago, kstrittm said:

Looking at booking a HAL Nieuw Amsterdam cruise September 14 - 21.  It is RT Vancouver with stops in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.  Does anybody have experience with a late season cruise?  How is the weather?  Are the tourist spots still open (i.e., stores, parks, etc.)?

Thanks in advance...

Did Alaska the last two years in early September and the end of August. Both were 14 day cruises and both weather wise, were different. The first was early September and we experienced all but warm weather. There was fog, rain, overcast skies, and some sunshine. The temp probably averaged 50 degrees. The second we had very nice weather, only a sprinkling of rain, sunshine and moderate temps. The only places we had fog, drizzle, and overcast was at Glacier Bay and Icy Strait Point. Pack for all types of weather.

It depends on what area you live in how cold or comfortable you will be with the temps.  I am from the mid west so if it is 60 degree's it is comfortable for me. Others might be cold.  I have been in the ports you are going to in May and  Sept 6 times and have worn jeans, a t shirt, hooded sweatshirt over that and had a lightweight nylon hooded rain jacket packed in my back pack in case I needed it. Water proof your comfortable shoes.  I was very lucky with the weather in May and Sept and didn't run into rain, others have, so be prepared for rain or shine.  Layers are key.   Have a great time.

Plan for any type of weather. Our last two cruises were completely different. 217 we sailed from Sept 2 to Sept 16. The weather was in the  high 40s low 50 s. We had rain, drizzle, fog, overcast and very little sun. Last year we sailed Aug. 25 to Sept 9 and the weather was really nice. Had sunshine everywhere except in Icy Strait Point and a little morning drizzle in Skagway. Temps were in the 50s. Glacier Bay was overcast and rainy the first cruise and overcast the next one. Temps were in the high 30s.