Fly-cruise hand luggage

Tacu

I was going to ask a question but instead decided to Google it, and wow, this is such a nuisance 😞

The Thomson / TUI hand luggage allowance on package holidays is one cabin bag that does not exceed 5 kg and that does not measure more than 55 x 40 x 20 cm. ... All items such as handbags, laptops and duty-free purchases must fit within this one item of hand luggage.

I suppose this means I either need to find a smaller handbag so that I can fit it into my cabin bag with all the other junk I want to carry, or need to find a bigger handbag so that I can fit all the junk into there.

First world problems, I know...

We have flown Tui twice in the last year - one of them on a fly cruise - Oceana in Valetta.  Yes only one item of hand luggage.  It depends on the check in person.  Some demand to see and weigh the hand luggage some just ask to see it - that's our experience.  I have a soft carry on bag into which I put my handbag and laptop and I can then take it out once I'm on the plane. I'm not sure if you're allowed to advertise things on here but anyway I have a Mia Tui carry on bag which has all sorts of different compartments - one for my laptop.  I've found it makes the airport thing much easier.  Of course it depends on how much stuff you want to put in your carry on bag.  It did seem that they were allowing duty free to be taken on separately but I have known it when getting to the gate people being told to put their duty free stuff into their carry on bag.  Oh and don't forget your plastic bag!  I know it's all for our own safety but I do hate the airport experience. 

• Like 1

We fly Tui regularly and I've always had a handbag as well as cabin bag.  My handbag is small, just takes purse and passports etc. I've never been asked to put it in my cabin bag.  However, I have seen people with handbags that I would class as a shopping bag and these are the people who I think are targeted for pushing the rules.

You might be better with just a shopping bag that everything will fit into. 

The size is quite generous, it’s the weight that’s the problem so a light shopping bag could well do. 

Also try to slim down the amount of junk you take on. You don’t really “need” that much. 

Make sure you follow the limits on your cruise personaliser. Assuming it’s a P&O charter the rules may well be different to  a TUI package as P&O decide the rules. 

Edited by Highpeaklad

Just travel with large pockets. When they insist on weighing your hand baggage, if it’s overweight, put stuff in your pockets. You and the check-in staff know that once they’ve weighed it and you’ve walked away, everything will go back in the bag. It’s a game to be played.

Stuart

• Like 2

I'm taking a large carry on, as we arrive into Malta on a late flight and I don't expect to see my case before dinner, so will have a change of clothes in it, plus some basic toiletries.  In this carry on, I will have a small handbag which, once through check in, will be out of the carry on and on my shoulder.  I fly regularly with TUI and have never been asked to put my small shoulder bag inside the larger one.  In terms of duty free, again, every traveller is entitled to one additional bag if they fly out of Manchester so I fill my Duty Free bag with reading material for the holiday plus anything I need in terms of skincare from Boots or the Duty Free shop.  Not averse to a sneaky extra purchase from Monsoon either.  

I realise this does not apply to fly cruises but have surprisingly been made aware by Tui this week that their carry on allowance has been increased to 10kg

from 1 May in respect of package holidays with Tui.  Am just about to go to Cyprus and it was a nice surprise. The baggage to go in the hold remains at 20kg

Like you we are on Oceana this coming November flying to Dubai but the allowances with Emirates are brilliant.

Hope you have a lovely cruise, would be glad to read your report as we have not been on Oceana before.

16 minutes ago, silkworms said:

I realise this does not apply to fly cruises but have surprisingly been made aware by Tui this week that their carry on allowance has been increased to 10kg

from 1 May in respect of package holidays with Tui.  Am just about to go to Cyprus and it was a nice surprise. The baggage to go in the hold remains at 20kg

Like you we are on Oceana this coming November flying to Dubai but the allowances with Emirates are brilliant.

Hope you have a lovely cruise, would be glad to read your report as we have not been on Oceana before.

What are the p&o emirates allowances please?