Explorer suite photos

flyers

Here are two photos taken from the balcony of Explorer 921 in the few times that it could be used. The substitution of steel rails instead of glass and the outward protrusion of the Balcony made this balcony totally unusable on the crossing.

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

Interesting - I have never once had a suite on any Regent ship with glass on the balcony and not the steel rails you see in your photos.    

I have done a lot of TAs on several different ships.  Aside from the very front suites where there is a wind problem even on a perfect day whether one can use the balcony or not depends on the air temperature.  We have had crossings - especially one in November on the Voyager - where we almost lived on the balcony.  On others, even in late summer (September on the Queen Mary) we weren't able to get outside much.  

Your photos are lovely.  Wish I could take such crisp and "well composed" ones.

Flyers, why did the rails vs glass make the balcony unusable?  We were on Mariner for 44 nights and it also has the rails. I loved them!  I could sit and put my feet on the rail, the view was never interrupted by salty glass, etc.  I know it's personal preference, I much prefer the rails, but not sure why it changed the usability of the balcony. 

I can't help but think that even if Regent DID have glass instead of rails, the balconies would be no more or less usable than with the rails.  As low as they are, the wind-blocking capabilities are minimal and the glass would be covered in mist and salt spray.

I'll take the rails any day.

Edited by UUNetBill
Clarity
  • Like 1

Dave I guess its a matter of what you are used to. Most of our cruising is on Seabourn where the balcony is protected by glass (see photo) and yes spray does collect but the balcony remains useable.

DSC00627.JPG

33 minutes ago, flyers said:

Dave I guess its a matter of what you are used to. Most of our cruising is on Seabourn where the balcony is protected by glass (see photo) and yes spray does collect but the balcony remains useable.

DSC00627.JPG

I'm not sure as I've never asked directly, but I think the ship may have 'child-proof' panels they can put up - I'm not sure if they're transparent or if they even still have them but it might be worth asking at the desk if that's possible.  Seems to me I read about someone asking for a solid type enclosure...