Quebec City to Niagra Falls

barbrdunn

My party of 4 would like to do Niagara Falls/Buffalo after our cruise and then fly home from Buffalo to the west coast as it is so much cheaper than from Montreal or Toronto.  It seems quite easy to get from Quebec City to Toronto on the train, but quite a hassle to get from Toronto to the Buffalo airport to rent a car.  I know we can't rent the car in Toronto and return it to the Buffalo when we fly home.  Any suggestions?  

Edited by barbrdunn
add more info

Why can't you rent the car in Toronto and return it in Buffalo?  There will likely be a one way dropoff charge, but this shouldn't be hard to arrange.

There is Greyhound and MegaBus from Toronto to Buffalo, but I'd do the rental if given those two choices.  Or you could bus from Toronto right to Niagara Falls.

Edited by Nitemare

This may be overkill but rent a car for 1 day in Toronto.  Drive to Buffalo and rent another car.  Return first car and you are done. Might be the easiest logistically but not time wise.  Just a thought I had.

There's also the Amtrak train from Toronto to New York, which stops in Buffalo (two different stations) as well as the US side of Niagara Falls (the town).

But I agree that there is no legal issue with a one-way rental car - it USED to be problematic the other way, with Canadians not allowed to drive US rental cars over into Canada, but that law changed a decade ago. Now it's purely logistical - but the major rental companies with cars at Buffalo airport will have cars available from Toronto or even Quebec City airports too (sometimes even downtown offices will rent one-way). If you get super-lucky you might even score a free trip - as rental cars do need to get back to their home country eventually, so it's cheaper to cut a driver who wants to go their a deal than actually ship the car on a truck!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to point out that QC is about 923 km (570 mi) from Niagara Falls so, by car, it's a very long day or more plus you have to go through/around two major cities:  Montreal and Toronto.  We've taken the 401 from Quebec and it's a freeway so traffic moves along--probably would be better to do it over the weekend.  If you can go by train, it would seem to be more hassle-free.

Taking a car over the border is not a problem. Someone sideswiped us coming home from Florida on I75 in Ohio 20 years ago. We were "fine", but our mini van was totalled. Rented a Hertz car in Ohio and dropped it off at our local Hertz rental in Ontario.