Tamron 18-400 on sale till May 12th

Hubby has been considering the Tamron 18-400 for our Alaska cruise .  Noticed last night that Tamron has s $100 instant savings promotion going on... see http://www.tamron-usa.com/product/lenses/b028.html.   Wanted to pass that info on as like most of you need to save where I can

We are still going back and forth between this lense and the Nikkor 18-300 for his Nikon D7200

any thoughts which one we should get???? 

Yep we did buy it today at our local photo shop for $549!  I’m excited now to play with it... note this pricing expires May 12th

hubby still thinks the Nikkor lens is sharper based on his reviews he read  but the extra reach and the price drop won us over...

20 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

The electronics super store (Best Buy) near me normally sells the lens for $649 but now it is $549 with the instant savings.

Thanks for the information, quite a difference.

I followed the Online Purchasing thread and looked at B&H prices for things. Lenses much cheaper. RX10 and FZ2500 about the same, more expensive after shipping and Oz taxes. Save a small fortune for a Hasselblad (but I don’t have the other part of the fortune to buy one).

• Like 1

Generally, the broader the zoom range, the worse a lens will be optically. The 18-400 wins on convenience, but when compared to other lenses in the same price range, won't be as clear/accurate. Up to you to decide if that's a factor.

I rented and tested both on my Nikon D500.   The Nikkor is sharper,but not THAT much sharper at equivalent lengths.  The Tamron loses a little at the 400 end, but it HAS a 400 end.  The versatility was more important to me than the difference because while saying that the Nikkor is sharper implies the Tamron is not sharp and its not true.  It's more of a comparison to good/very good than bad/good.

Except for wildlife or landscape runs, the 18-400 rarely leaves the body now.