Tips on RCCL

Does any one know if tips are already included in the price of individually purchased alcoholic drinks? I am hearing mixed answers. I know they add an 18% service charge to the packages but what about just a single drink. included in the advertised price or automatically added on top of the price? Thanks for the help.

2 minutes ago, DiMitch said:

Does any one know if tips are already included in the price of individually purchased alcoholic drinks? I am hearing mixed answers. I know they add an 18% service charge to the packages but what about just a single drink. included in the advertised price or automatically added on top of the price? Thanks for the help.

18% is added to individually purchased drinks. 

For cruises based out of the US, 18% is added to the drink menu prices.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

For cruises based out of the US, 18% is added to the drink menu prices.

so if a glass of wine that is listed as say $10 on the menu will have an additional 1.80 added onto the bill making the bill read $11.80 and no additional tip is needed. Is that correct?  (it is not already incorporated into the $10 price? Trying to make an informed decision about purchasing the drink package

so if a glass of wine that is listed as say $10 on the menu will have an additional 1.80 added onto the bill making the bill read $11.80 and no additional tip is needed. Is that correct?  (it is not already incorporated into the $10 price? Trying to make an informed decision about purchasing the drink package

Thats right, tips are added onto the shown price for the drink.

one more question. I have heard that both people in a room need to purchase the drink package. My husband is a diabetic and doesn't really drink. (messes with his medication).  Do you happen to know if RCCL will waive this policy if there is a medical reason. It just doesn't make sense for him to purchase it if all he's going to buy is soda and coffees.

6 minutes ago, dwhe said:

Didn't I read somewhere sailings from some countries ie the UK have to have the tip included in the quoted price? maybe where the confusion is.

That's correct.  May also be true for cruises out of Australia.

3 minutes ago, DiMitch said:

one more question. I have heard that both people in a room need to purchase the drink package. My husband is a diabetic and doesn't really drink. (messes with his medication).  Do you happen to know if RCCL will waive this policy if there is a medical reason. It just doesn't make sense for him to purchase it if all he's going to buy is soda and coffees.

I haven't done it personally, but I have seen others have success by calling and explaining. They might require you to buy the refreshment or soda package for your husband instead - but this is still obviously cheaper than the deluxe package. Good luck.

4 minutes ago, DiMitch said:

They will allow your husband to purchase the Refreshment package instead of the full alcohol package, but that is about as much as they will waive.  You need to call to do this.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

They will allow your husband to purchase the Refreshment package instead of the full alcohol package, but that is about as much as they will waive.  You need to call to do this.

Thanks. All this help is very much appreciated. My Travel agent said it was a no, but I will call and keep my fingers crossed. 

3 minutes ago, DiMitch said:

Thanks. All this help is very much appreciated. My Travel agent said it was a no, but I will call and keep my fingers crossed. 

Call up and tell them. They added it for just me. I purchased the soda package for my boyfriend months ago but I figure with the price of drinks I may as well get the drink package for myself. He doesn't drink out of personal preference.

37 minutes ago, dwhe said:

Didn't I read somewhere sailings from some countries ie the UK have to have the tip included in the quoted price? maybe where the confusion is.

Yes that's correct.

VAT sales tax is included in our shops too.

I always find it strange when we are in the US when you see the price of something in the shops then they stick the state sales tax on top at the till.

Edited by grapau27