Travel Insurance

silversurf1

Looking to book a cruise starting 20 months from now. We would like an accessible cabin as I use a wheelchair and I know these book up very quickly.

I always get an insurance quote before I book as due to medical issues and our ages it is now proving expensive.

Unfortunately I can’t find any company willing to insure us more than 12 months ahead.

i know several of my fellow Cruise Criticers use wheelchairs or scooters, how do you get insurance please?

i have already phoned a couple of travel agents who can’t help.

Generally speaking the 12 month rule is universal.  It is possible to obtain annual travel insurance and then renew it after the first twelve months which is expensive.  Alternatively you can do single trip insurance but wait to purchase the insurance within a twelve month period covering up to the end of your cruise date.

The thing to remember is that the insurers are risking one of the things covered from start of policy until the end of the cruise.  Twenty months ahead nearly doubles their pre-cruise risks so they all limit this to a maximum of twelve months.

What you are risking without buying insurance after booking in the early days is the deposit money which could be around 10% this amount increases to a tier of higher percentages as you get nearer sailing date.  Your booking conditions and contract in the back of the brochure should outline all the percentages and days prior to sailing figures.

Disabled access cabins are very limited in supply and will typically be sold out if you do not book months ahead of time.  If it were me I would initially get a quote from insurance suppliers to see what a realistic premium is based on my accurate personal details but give them similar cruise details to the one I am interested in but tell them my proposed cruise is only nine/ten months away.  They should give you a price but obviously you do not book it up.  If it is one that you can afford you can have a reasonable expectation that if you wait until twelve months prior to your genuine dates they will offer a feasible figure within your budget.

Once you establish that insurance will very likely be available later in the year just make your booking.  Wait until you are within twelve months of completing your cruise then buy the insurance.  Your risk during your "uninsured wait" is going to be around 10% i.e. the deposit money. Read the contract and booking conditions carefully to assess your financial risk.  I should not pay more than the minimum earlier than you have to i.e. do not pay for the whole cruise at the start.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Perfect reply John.  I was going to say pay the deposit, and pay for insurance at the 12 month mark..and by ringing round insurers  before that date you will have some idea of the amount you are looking at.

Ofcourse if things go pear shaped you could lose your deposit, or maybe  look at moving the cruise to a later date.

It is possible to get travel insurance more than 12 months in advance. When we booked our cruise for Sept 2020 on launch day last year we also purchased our single trip insurance through our TA no problem.

If you take more than one holiday per year you might find it cheaper to take out an annual policy. These are often issued on a rolling basis with automatic renewal unless you instruct otherwise, efffectively giving continuous cover - but watch the small print!

Thank you everyone for your help.

Rupert, I checked out the company you mentioned and they do insure up to 18 months ahead, but I did a dummy quote for our upcoming cruise in June this year and the price was nearly double that which we are paying and no mention of cruise cover. Also as they are an Irish company we could not complain to UK ombudsman if anything went wrong.

Holiday extras won’t insure us, whether because of our ages or medical conditions, not sure.

So I will have to wait until 12 months before to book anything.

29 minutes ago, silversurf1 said:

Thank you everyone for your help.

Rupert, I checked out the company you mentioned and they do insure up to 18 months ahead, but I did a dummy quote for our upcoming cruise in June this year and the price was nearly double that which we are paying and no mention of cruise cover. Also as they are an Irish company we could not complain to UK ombudsman if anything went wrong.

Holiday extras won’t insure us, whether because of our ages or medical conditions, not sure.

So I will have to wait until 12 months before to book anything.

Strange about the 18 months because ours was 24 months ahead. We did book it through a very well know TA as it was there preferred company and we found it very reasonably priced, perhaps there are different t's & c's if booking direct. Also surprised about holiday extras, as they are p&o's preferred company they must have loads of people with pre existing medical conditions regardless of age. Still you live and learn.

Deposits are low. Be a devil and chance it that you won’t be cancelling early. Then book insurance when inside 12 months.Wwe actually have a rolling annual travel insurance policy but then we do 3 holidays a year one of which is usually an expedition trip. Bizarrely our annual cover was cheaper than getting a single trip cover for our last Antarctica adventure.

In the past we have had annual travel insurance but because of age insurers are not keen to do this.  As I have many medical issues our insurance is expensive.  The cost of insurance can be as much as the deposit so we don't worry about insuring (single trip) until about to pay the final balance.  We just have to accept that in the event of the need to cancel we would lose our deposit.  Able2travel have proved good and we have recently had a quote from medicaltravelcompared.  Banks and many well known insurance providers are no good for us.  Good luck.

4 hours ago, 2irisheyes said:

medicaltravelcompared

Very helpful post - thank you. I have been searching for travel insurance for my 81 year old mother who has several medical conditions (including stroke) and medicaltravelcompared have worked out way cheaper than any of the ones I tried. Thank you!

Tracey

14 hours ago, jones721 said:

Very helpful post - thank you. I have been searching for travel insurance for my 81 year old mother who has several medical conditions (including stroke) and medicaltravelcompared have worked out way cheaper than any of the ones I tried. Thank you!

Tracey

You're welcome.  Glad to help.  I know what a chore it can be spending time on the phone answering all the questions and being disappointed at the end of it.  Just a note - their cheapest one for us didn't include baggage and cancellation cover and had a high excess but the second cheapest was fine.

In the past, Insureandgo have allowed us to pay for an annual policy but defer the start date.  It meant we had no cover until the start date kicked in, but we were happy with that risk.  With pre-existing conditions it worked well for us, medical cover abroad was our priority.

• Thanks 1