Island Princess May 8 Voyage of Glaciers lazy live

1 hour ago, momK said:

How has Club Class dining been for you on this trip?

We have really enjoyed it. The head waiter Adrian often whips up a special pasta dish at lunch or dinner and will customize it to your liking. He is really wonderful and makes your dining experience special. I can’t say enough great things about Olesisky (sp?) and Reynoldo. They are subdued in their service but are old school style and deliver absolutely impeccable service. Reynoldo hails from Silverseas and it’s obvious he has great pride in his job. We go there for lunch and dinner. 

That said we tried CC once for breakfast but went straight back to Sabatinis. 

The second picture is what you get when you ask for poached eggs in CC but in sabatinis you get real poached eggs. Your waffles and toast arrive piping hot as it’s cooked right there. You get all the free mimosas, cappuccinos, hot cocoas you want. 

Plus you get Uros (see photo...not such a great one of me because I’m cracking up. Sit in his station). Jayson, Able and Emilio are also fabulous. Paula is the food and beverage supervisor who overseas sabatinos and she is incredible too. 

F2C7996F-D06C-4EFD-A3EB-A8CD6F7D1221.jpeg

31FBAA24-3F7D-4331-BEDF-3D2015BF1B0C.jpeg

2E6A708D-790E-445A-A645-39A74312A66E.jpeg

A79536BD-47AF-4686-B134-5EBF3D6581B7.jpeg

25697F35-ACA7-450B-8559-176CA71B8A01.jpeg

F51A5BA3-A936-403A-9F76-3C89080EB6DE.jpeg

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1

Your eggs are making me hungry, lol! 😛     Did they offer Tracy's crab shack in Juneau again today? In the MDR?  Would that be for dinner?  I think the dh & I will be eating at the Red Dog Saloon while we're there (he's not a seafood fan 😮 )... so I may end up missing King Crab all around unless they serve it for dinner. 😕   I really want to try it!! Doesn't have to be from Tracy's, either. 🦀Just give me the crab, please! 😉   When do you get the dinner menus? The night before?  I guess that's when you get the Princess Patters as well?   
You've been so gracious to share some of your trip with us and I appreciate it. Thanks!

Thanks for the review and pics.  How many cabanas are available in the Sancuary?  We are on the Royal in August.  Not doing a B2 , but sailing in a suite so hoping to score a cabana.  We embark in Vancover. I guess we will get there early.  I guess I thought the Sanctuary would cost more on Glacier Bay Day. 

Did you try the Crab Pot? I saw the it on a blog that had the platters. Nit sure if it us though n your sailing too. 

2 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Yes you can rent the cabana even if you are the only one using it. The price stays the same. Some chairs have better shade than others. We took the Island on the full transit in the same suite we have now. .....

The cabana has a ceiling fan and the sanctuary has an outdoor shower to cool off too. I think the cabana would be great just for the shade. 

Thank you for the information and the pictures of your Panama cruise.  I am prepared to pay the same price as if there were two people in the cabana.  I am looking at a cabana particularly for the shade.  I am going from Vancouver to FLL.  Will head up to the sanctuary as soon as I get on board.  Have a mini suite booked.  This trip going solo as family have to work and friends not available for three weeks.  You only live once and I am fortunate to be able to travel several times a year.

Did you do a live blog on your cruise through the Panama?  If so, I will enjoy looking at your pictures and reading your review.

Thank you once again for the information.  

Edited by Safety Squirrel

On 5/19/2019 at 12:06 PM, milolii said:

Thanks for the review and pics.  How many cabanas are available in the Sancuary?  We are on the Royal in August.  Not doing a B2 , but sailing in a suite so hoping to score a cabana.  We embark in Vancover. I guess we will get there early.  I guess I thought the Sanctuary would cost more on Glacier Bay Day. 

Did you try the Crab Pot? I saw the it on a blog that had the platters. Nit sure if it us though n your sailing too. 

On 5/19/2019 at 11:11 AM, SETexaslady said:

Your eggs are making me hungry, lol! 😛     Did they offer Tracy's crab shack in Juneau again today? In the MDR?  Would that be for dinner?  I think the dh & I will be eating at the Red Dog Saloon while we're there (he's not a seafood fan 😮 )... so I may end up missing King Crab all around unless they serve it for dinner. 😕   I really want to try it!! Doesn't have to be from Tracy's, either. 🦀Just give me the crab, please! 😉   When do you get the dinner menus? The night before?  I guess that's when you get the Princess Patters as well?   
You've been so gracious to share some of your trip with us and I appreciate it. Thanks!

So I keep getting dropped after typing a bunch so I’m going to be brief

yes king crab in MDR once on each leg fabulous ate two servings

did not try the crab shack on board

menus come in morning make sure to ask steward on embarkation day to deliver daily

Patters come night before 

not listed in patters but every port day day from noon to 2 at grill they have some local restaurant specialty. Fish tacos, chowder, crab cakes depending on port. 

Island has 3 cabanas Royal may have more. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

So I keep getting dropped after typing a bunch so I’m going to be brief

Oh no!  Not cool!  Sure was hoping they would get that Medallion Net settled before I got on. Other ships appear to be having great service with it.  Thanks so much for the info on the King crab and to ask the steward to deliver the menus. Thanks for the heads up on the port day grill. Cool!   😀

1 hour ago, SETexaslady said:

Oh no!  Not cool!  Sure was hoping they would get that Medallion Net settled before I got on. Other ships appear to be having great service with it.  Thanks so much for the info on the King crab and to ask the steward to deliver the menus. Thanks for the heads up on the port day grill. Cool!   😀

I gave up on medallion net. It drops me and it’s a 4 step process to get back on. The IT guy said it works for those that pay for the all you can eat plan. I just want my free elite minutes. And it doesn’t work well for that. 

I’m using my phone and tethering my iPad. 

• Like 1

One more quick note about this ship. Our NB leg was not sold out and we did not have trouble getting seats in theater or other shows. Now on the SB trip it seems much fuller and we have to get to shows 20 minutes early to nab a seat. 

CC & bayou/sabatinis were super chill on the way up and on the way down it’s all bustling and busier. Service is still great and never a wait in CC. 

Also folks don't seem to be dressing for formal night in general. Shirts with collars and buttons. Dresses and nice pants/ tops. A few exceptions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Negative on the suitcase. Not have they even located it. 

A couple of more notes about the ship. 

The carpet on passenger decks gas green dots for starboard and red dots for port. 

There is absolutely no smoking on the promenade deck. So I can do my 4 laps around to get 1.25 miles in and no smoke to get in the way. 

Public viewing areas without that annoying blue shield are:

forward deck 10 and 11.

aft deck 8. 

For both forward and aft just go all the way thru past pax rooms and open the unmarked doors at the end of hallway. 

Side views: go to aft elevators exit deck 14 and there’s a good bit of open area on both sides. Also deck 15. 

Heres the dvd library for anyone in a full suite. You have to ask for the DVD player. 

359871C7-C12F-41D3-9F78-44A7A38FADCC.jpeg

FCCC19DB-E6A4-456A-B494-1E3CA57E720D.jpeg

6C8FC19D-7A68-433E-8495-C4FF6A377439.jpeg

3880288E-7FB7-41F7-86F1-D7AEF66B0EE9.jpeg

E155EB94-DD46-4E68-A41C-F137949A089F.jpeg

• Like 1

So sorry about your luggage! And so sorry that your journey ends tomorrow. 😞

Thanks so much for your wonderful travelog! It has given us such great insight and even more excitement for our coming cruise to Alaska on the Island Princess. Your info has answered so many of the "I wish I had thought to ask about that!" questions. It looks like our weather should be pretty good----of course, that can always change in a heartbeat.

Awesome pics...bring back memories of our years living up there.  I'm glad you were at least able to see a sample of the Northern Lights.  Of course, the best time is in the dead of winter when it's very clear out (which normally means below zero temps).  If you ever get a chance to visit Anchorage in the winter, take it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, momK said:

So sorry about your luggage! And so sorry that your journey ends tomorrow. 😞

Thanks so much for your wonderful travelog! It has given us such great insight and even more excitement for our coming cruise to Alaska on the Island Princess. Your info has answered so many of the "I wish I had thought to ask about that!" questions. It looks like our weather should be pretty good----of course, that can always change in a heartbeat.

Yes it can!  We’ve gone from T-shirt’s to fleeces then added waterproof windbreaker scarf/mittens on then off all on the same outing. One thing I have used daily is sunblock and one thing I really miss having is a wide brimmed hat that ties to my head and stays on in the wind. 

Our last sea day is s gorgeous sunny 63 degrees. Just getting to the inside passage where we hope to see more whales porpoises and such. The naturalist starts broadcasting on channel 35 and 36 soon. 

What a fabulous way to end 14 days at sea!!!

i saw the thread on the November 2020 itineraries being deleted for the Island and the future cruise desk on board said they’ve not been given any info on what’s going on. But did confirm those leaving in Oct were still a go. 

However he added that princess has decided to not release any Cuba sailings. He said they were supposed to get released today.   

Picture of my promenade today and what we learned in the arts and crafts workshop this morning. Napkin folding. It was fun!   

75C4CDE9-4AE7-4D02-A805-225B0717F24C.jpeg

871DAB11-2F80-4BFB-85E0-7CFF95EE54F8.jpeg

F63B3127-253E-404B-9150-25CD5D028E8C.jpeg