Tahiti Wi-Fi vs on board PG Wi-Fi

theNJR

It doesn’t seem like anyone here on the PG forum has ever mentioned Tahiti Wi-Fi, but the company is brought up on a lot of other forums. 

Tahiti Wi-Fi is $22 a day for essentially unlimited Wi-Fi (It’s technically 2GB/day at full speed then they throttle you). You pick up a battery powered router/cell modem from their stand at the PPT airport and then bring it with you wherever you need internet. 

The reviews have said that when at port the coverage is great, and people who sailed Windstar said it was a lot faster than what was offered on the ship. It’s also about $10/cheaper. It does not work at all when you are out of port, however. 

Three questions:

1. Has anyone recently used the unlimited Wi-Fi onboard and have some perspective on speed? Would be amazing if you ran a speed test. 

2. Does the onboard Wi-Fi work when you are out of port? 

3. Does anyone have any other opinions on Tahiti Wi-Fi?

I have a few minor work things to handle when I’m sailing in a few weeks(!!). I’d do that either early morning or later at night, so I’m trying to figure out the best course of action. 

Any thoughts would be great! 

5 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Is it supposed to work while near all of the islands you're going to be visiting?

Yes, the PG wifi works while at sea, although it's notoriously slow.

It looks like it does cover all islands on the 7 day tour, here is the coverage map.

I think you all miss the important fact that this isn't Hawaii or the Caribbean, your in the South Pacific where things are bit more sparse thus slower speed wifi. This is particularly true when your moving around in high waves. I've had reasonable speed wifi when the ship isn't moving and at certain times of the day when the demand for wifi is slow. 

The trick is to make sure your jpeg files are small, under 100K. Plus you construct your email in a word processing program and then copy and past to the email when you go on-line. This will use considerably less of your allotment if you have anything other than unlimited and the smaller size jpegs will allow for quick uploads.