Playa Mia Excursion - Cozumel

Hey,

I have just booked the Playa Mia excursion at Cozumel for my family via Royal Caribbean. After booking I saw in the calendar that it states 9am - 2pm (5 hours).

Are these times changeable, say if we wanted to go 10am to 3pm? or even 9am to 3pm (6 hours)?

I don't want to be restricted to exact times etc so if I can't adjust I will cancel and book it with Playa Mia direct with transportation rather than via Royal Caribbean.

Thanks

Edited by ElliotReevey

We have done the excursion as set by the cruise line and we have done it twice more on our own. We much prefer to do it on our own as we can choose when to arrive and depart. The cruise lines times are set. It is very easy to get a taxi there and back. It is also much less expensive to do the excursion on your own. 

As far as going to Playa Mia, with RCI you will meet at the end of the pier at 9 AM to get your wristband.  If you don't show up until 10 they will basically list you as a no-show and if you go later they won't know you are part of the group and will have to pay again.

Cozumel tours do tend to use taxis a lot, so you might be put on a taxi as people show up to check in and you might be able to do the same coming back.  But you can't count on this.  You might actually stand around until 9:30 waiting for stragglers to show up.

In your case I agree with Woodmnky - book either directly with Playa Mia or one of the many booking companies like shoreexcursioneer or shoreexcursionsgroup.  Several of these offer discounts.  Direct prices are $30US beach and $60 beach/buffet/bar all-inclusive for an adult. 

Don't buy their transportation!  Playa Mia charges $13pp for this which is good if two or less people are going but  not for larger groups - cab runs $17 plus tip each way.  Cab line is at the port entrance - just tell the dispatcher where you are going and they will put you in a cab sized for your group.  Confirm the price with the driver (although they are pretty honest there).  The cab coming back may not drop you off in the pier area.  Often they will drop you in a shopping center across the street.  Don't be alarmed if this happens.

We also prefer going on our own by taxi since we can get there before the crowds and have our pick of loungers and shade.

We took the cruise line transportation there and got a cab (about 20 bucks to go back when we wanted). If I did it over I would just buy tickets direct and take a cab there and back and be on my own time and not waste 30 mins waiting in line before the excursion. 

I took it a while back and used their transportation. Back then they used buses(motor coaches). Yes the time was restrictive as the bus driver told us what time we had to be on board to return to the pier. we took the bus as we were afraid that the cabbies did not speak english very well and we don't speak spanish. I now understand, they are use to english so no problem.

We went last year but did not book through the cruise line.  When you get off the boat they have taxi's that show you the cost to Playa Mia on a huge signboard (which i believe was $17), there were cabs waiting to go.  and we bought tickets ahead of time online on their website for playa mia which are cheaper.  We saved a ton of money and could come and go as we pleased.  The drive was maybe 10 minutes, but probably less.

On 5/12/2019 at 7:04 AM, ElliotReevey said:

Thank you for the really helpful responses.

I will cancel my direct booking and book either direct or a third party as I think this will be more suitable for our plans.

I see your point but just remember if you book not directly with RCCL they are not responsible if the excursion is late and hold no liability.  A lot of people have been successful with booking with someone else but it is a risk you take even for safety as well. Good luck~

3 hours ago, RCLcruiser2012 said:

I see your point but just remember if you book not directly with RCCL they are not responsible if the excursion is late and hold no liability.  A lot of people have been successful with booking with someone else but it is a risk you take even for safety as well. Good luck~

Not particularly relevant for Cozumel if you are not going over to the mainland.  You can walk back from Playa Mia in an hour or so.  There will be hundreds of people from your ship at the all-inclusives south of the port so even trafffic would not be an issue.

The only real problem with that island is that it is on Eastern Standard Time year round.  So if the ship sails from Florida (Eastern Daylight Time) and doesn't change ship time then Cozumel will be an hour earlier than ship time.  So don't use a phone that automatically adjusts to local time or you will be late.

Edited by LeeW
more