Edge - reservation of specialty dining when it is comped

bertrande

Perhaps I should clarify - Fine Cut was not sold out.  However, as we want to eat early (thanks to @vtcruising and also the fact that we have two young children), our preferred slots for all dining is generally around 6/7pm.  For Fine Cut, these timings were full on our preferred days (but other timings were still available).  We therefore took a 6pm on another day and waitlisted for those preferred days.  Hope this helps.  Demand *is* high for Fine Cut but we were also firm on not wanting to eat later than 7pm. :)

• Like 1

After the experience we had of them changing  our early  res to a later time slot without notice ,  we are giving it a pass on our next EDGE cruise...It also seemed like a  hurried  space and was  loud, but seems it is very much in demand.....not  many  choices  with  the same type menu.

Are they using the outdoor  tables?

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

After the experience we had of them changing  our early  res to a later time slot without notice ,  we are giving it a pass on our next EDGE cruise...It also seemed like a  hurried  space and was  loud, but seems it is very much in demand.....not  many  choices  with  the same type menu.

Are they using the outdoor  tables?

I think FCSH is a victim of their own success and rarely using the outside tables (if ever now - a couple of people have reported them not being used on their cruises) cut back the number of tables they probably had originally booked (likely used the total number of tables to book and then couldn't use the outside tables every night).

We had 3 wonderful experiences there and didn't feel hurried.  The first time, we were with a group of 6 deep in the restaurant (on the second cruise, so only a couple of nights experience with guests) and when the Grand Plaza was hopping around 8, I realized the issue they were going to have with noise and reported it on here. We ate there again a few nights later - it was just the two of us and they put us at the rail. We were worried and they said they were keeping it quieter down there during dinner due to complaints. Sure enough, we loved looking down on the GP and it was quiet until about 9:15, when the music started - by that time dinner was winding down and we had a front row seat for the music and Martini Bar Show. The third time, in January, we were with another couple and had a comedian waiter - WE probably were the noise that night - so much fun and another home run on the food. We were in the middle of the restaurant and able to hear each other talk, so I don't think it was overly noisy.

It does sound like the experience there is very variable, noise-wise. With the noise-blocking screens they are planning for the Apex, maybe it be a whole different vibe. Maybe they will have outdoor tables with windscreens so one could have a quieter experience outside.

I'm sorry that your birthday dinner was messed up and that they didn't even let you know before changing the time - inexcusable. Others have mentioned the MD there not having good people skills - hopefully no longer an issue.

We ended up enjoying the night in BLU for the big b day,   It was disappointing at the time,  and handled poorly by the maitre d  who insisted we accept the later time despite our desire to cancel!  People skills were lacking.  

In  fairness, they have had more time by now to get the booking act together! And perhaps we'll try again on APEX!

6 hours ago, bertrande said:

Perhaps I should clarify - Fine Cut was not sold out.  However, as we want to eat early (thanks to @vtcruising and also the fact that we have two young children), our preferred slots for all dining is generally around 6/7pm.  For Fine Cut, these timings were full on our preferred days (but other timings were still available).  We therefore took a 6pm on another day and waitlisted for those preferred days.  Hope this helps.  Demand *is* high for Fine Cut but we were also firm on not wanting to eat later than 7pm. 🙂

We had the same issue when we sailed in March.

I tried to make an early reservation at Fine Cut for my birthday online 1-2 months before the cruise.

Earliest they had was like 8:30 PM.

My travel agent contacted either the Zenith desk or the Shoreside Concierge and was able to get the reservation.

We were the top cruisers and are double Zenith (7000+ points each).

I am surprised that the condition has deteriorated to the point where even the Shoreside concierge cannot get an early reservation for a Royal suite guest!!!