Pinnacle Grill Questions

bartexas

We (couple early 40s and mid 50s) leave on our first cruise a week from today. Oosterdam 7 day Alaska RT Seattle. We're big travelers, but first time cruisers. We're trying to give a sincere effort in sampling what cruises offer. Signature Suite, Elite Beverage Package, specialty dining, excursions booked via HAL.

We had Rudi's booked, but after looking at sample menus, DH liked the Pinnacle menu better, so we switched (and saved a few $). 

Couple questions:

• I know you can order multiple "first courses" in MDR, can you do the same in Pinnacle Grill? For example, a soup and lobster bisque? The menu mentions a $15 supplement for a second main, but doesn't mention first courses.
  • Does EBP apply in the Pinnacle Grill?
  • On the sample menu, there are only 4 wines listed (one is on the EBP), are there more available in the Pinnacle? Similarly, can I order port with my dessert?
  • Is the Pinnacle Bar a full bar?
  • On a lighter note, DH is set on Key Lime Pie (it's a point of contention with him and the owner of our favorite local steak house that they took KLP off the menu), do I want chocolate souffle or baked Alaska?

Hello bartexas, and welcome to Cruise Critic and cruising in general!

1-don't know about the first courses extra charge, if any - be advised that a lot of food is included as well as 

any of the side dishes you choose (potatoes, vegetables, mushrooms, etc.)  It's a lot to eat!!!!

2-Yes, you can use your beverage packages in PG

3-Yes, the PG has a wine list with more than 4 wines listed.  They will tell you which wines by the glass can be had with your beverage package.    

4-yes, Pinnacle bar is a full bar

5-I like the soufflé-on Noordam 2 weeks ago it was a vanilla with berry soufflé (not chocolate)

Have a great cruise in beautiful Alaska!  I just love the Signature Suites!!!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
Added info

1 hour ago, bartexas said:

We (couple early 40s and mid 50s) leave on our first cruise a week from today. Oosterdam 7 day Alaska RT Seattle. We're big travelers, but first time cruisers. We're trying to give a sincere effort in sampling what cruises offer. Signature Suite, Elite Beverage Package, specialty dining, excursions booked via HAL.

We had Rudi's booked, but after looking at sample menus, DH liked the Pinnacle menu better, so we switched (and saved a few $). 

Couple questions:

• I know you can order multiple "first courses" in MDR, can you do the same in Pinnacle Grill? For example, a soup and lobster bisque? The menu mentions a $15 supplement for a second main, but doesn't mention first courses.
  • Does EBP apply in the Pinnacle Grill?
  • On the sample menu, there are only 4 wines listed (one is on the EBP), are there more available in the Pinnacle? Similarly, can I order port with my dessert?
  • Is the Pinnacle Bar a full bar?
  • On a lighter note, DH is set on Key Lime Pie (it's a point of contention with him and the owner of our favorite local steak house that they took KLP off the menu), do I want chocolate souffle or baked Alaska?

We had lunch in the Pinnacle Grill several times last summer on the Amsterdam.  We had a hard time choosing between the crab  cake and the shrimp for our first course, so waiter brought each of us both appetizers.    He did that each time we dined there, and there was no extra charge.

Although only four wines are listed on the Pinnacle Grill menu, you can order any wine from the Pinnacle Bar menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-beverage-menus/pinnacle-grill-bar

Here is a link to the latest Pinnacle Grill menu that shows dessert wines by the glass:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/PG-Dinner-menu.pdf

Definitely the chocolate souffle.

Here is a link to your MDR menus for your cruise thanks to a friend, Gordon, who sent them to me:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/hal-7-day-alaska-2019-menus

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crew News......interesting that the Pinnacle menu listed above is quite different than the menu from the Noordam just eight days ago, both for food and drinks listed.  It shows that things are changing and will probably change again!  On that cruise I had the Chateau Ste. Michelle Canoe Ridge Chardonnay, Washington in both the Pinnacle Grill as well as at the Pinnacle bar and the main dining room with a list price of $10 which worked with my Signature Beverage Package.  Lucky me, because now at $16 per glass I wouldn't have been able to have it.  It would be nice if the ships all get more in sync by the start of the Alaska season (now)!  Thanks for posting the new menus.

~Nancy

49 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Crew News......interesting that the Pinnacle menu listed above is quite different than the menu from the Noordam just eight days ago, both for food and drinks listed.  It shows that things are changing and will probably change again!  On that cruise I had the Chateau Ste. Michelle Canoe Ridge Chardonnay, Washington in both the Pinnacle Grill as well as at the Pinnacle bar and the main dining room with a list price of $10 which worked with my Signature Beverage Package.  Lucky me, because now at $16 per glass I wouldn't have been able to have it.  It would be nice if the ships all get more in sync by the start of the Alaska season (now)!  Thanks for posting the new menus.

~Nancy

All of the HAL Beverage Menus are updating after a glitch with the new vendor being able to supply the new items I learned from the Konigsdam Beverage Manager last December.  The new bar menus are now basically the same with only the first and last pages varying to show speciatly drinks at that bar. 

The Canaletto menu is changing this month and I will scan it while I am on the Westerdam in three weeks.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Crew News said:

All of the HAL Beverage Menus are updating after a glitch with the new vendor being able to supply the new items I learned from the Konigsdam Beverage Manager last December.  

Maybe there is hope that my favorite Sauvignon Blanc, Villa Maria, will again be available!