Themed Gala Nights

oregonbill

On our Baltic voyage V918 we will have a Black and White, Roaring Twenties and Royal Cunard themed Gala Nights. I get the B&W and the Roaring 20s, but what is the theme to the Royal Cunard Gala? 

• Like 1

Here's the description I have of the Royal Cunard Ball. It's basically a "Red and Gold" theme.

Theme: Royal Cunard Ball

Available on: All Ships

Theme Description: Cunard's signature gala event, the Royal Cunard Ball, celebrating the glamour and elegance of Cunard through the ages.

Attire Suggestions:

Formal Wear
Red or Gold Dress code
Gentlemen - Tuxedo
Ladies - Evening gown
Appropriate red and/or gold gowns and accessories

The subject of the Royal Cunard Ball has been talked about extensively on another group I follow... and yes, many people have said they choose to wear red, gold, or black... AND there are also lots of people who choose to wear other colors too in their beautiful formal wear... the main thing is to dress in formal attire you love for the Gala night... enjoy the glam! 

• Like 1

We had a Royal Cunard Ball on our crossing. It was just "dress in Cunard colors". I wore a black dress and used a very nice red pashmina wrap. Mister had a red silk bowtie for the evening. Don't worry too much about it. Not everyone followed the theme.

I love the Roaring Twenties formal evening. Whether you join in or admire some of the beautiful clothes worn, it does not matter; it is a formal night so you can just go with that.

Sadly on my next voyage to Cape Town, there will not be a RT’s night, as that is on the next leg to Australia.

2 hours ago, Deafcruise said:

How advance would we know of the themes? We will be sailing in May next year for 5 nights and would like to have time to have a think about what to wear. 

There isn't any set time frame for when the dress code and themes will be announced for any particular voyage. The general rule of thumb is that you should be able to find them listed within the "Full Itinerary View" section of your voyage personaliser about 3 to 4 months prior to your departure date.

Cunard also usually posts master dress code and theme schedule documents covering about 6 to 12 months of voyages at a time, such as those mentioned in the "Updated dress code/theme schedules" sticky at the top of this forum. Those schedules currently go as far as into December 2019. But again those don't seem to be released on any set schedule, so it's hard to predict when those might be released that would include your May 2020 voyage.

We've had the days changed around a few times, so it's not set in stone.

The themes are really aimed at the ballroom dancers who maybe amount to a couple of hundred out of 2000+, so the other 90% just carry on as normal as no other bar or venue participates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

The themes are really aimed at the ballroom dancers who maybe amount to a couple of hundred out of 2000+, so the other 90% just carry on as normal as no other bar or venue participates.

The number of actual ballroom dancers seems to varies.

However, one constant is that the Queen Room ballroom is always SRO on "Ball" nights as hundreds of "watchers" come to observe the beautifully dressed ladies on and off of the dance floor.  It is not unusual to see people in the hallway outside the Queens Room waiting to get inside for the first couple of hours.

On 5/16/2019 at 2:08 PM, BigMac1953 said:

We've had the days changed around a few times, so it's not set in stone.

Hi there BigMac.

I'm afraid to say even on 'Gala 👿' nights on our recent Queen Victoria cruise you'd be lucky to see 20 couples dancing.

Other nights were considerably worse and I'd guess there would have been more activity on the Marie Celeste.

Not that I complained. No one to collide  with on our mach 2 Quickstep. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Hi there BigMac.

I'm afraid to say even on 'Gala 👿' nights on our recent Queen Victoria cruise you'd be lucky to see 20 couples dancing.

Other nights were considerably worse and I'd guess there would have been more activity on the Marie Celeste.

Not that I complained. No one to collide  with on our mach 2 Quickstep. 😀

I believe the number of dancers is largely dependent on the itinerary of the ship.   Even on the QM2, I've noticed fewer dancers on the floor when on WC segments with frequent port excursions as opposed to those on TA crossings, where the dance floor is almost aways packed on formal/Gala nights.

We usually save our Quickstep for non-Gala nights when the floor is less crowded.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:24 PM, oregonbill said:

On our Baltic voyage V918 we will have a Black and White, Roaring Twenties and Royal Cunard themed Gala Nights. I get the B&W and the Roaring 20s, but what is the theme to the Royal Cunard Gala? 

What night is the Royal Cunard gala night? I'm on that cruise (V918B), but don't see it listed. Perhaps, it's because I board in Hamburg. Any help?

23 minutes ago, TV Dad said:

What night is the Royal Cunard gala night? I'm on that cruise (V918B), but don't see it listed. Perhaps, it's because I board in Hamburg. Any help?

The master dress code schedule for voyage V918 (July 14-28, Southampton-Southampton) indicates the Royal Cunard Ball will be on July 26, 2019. Your voyage V918B (July 16-25, Hamburg-Kiel) disembarks the day before on July 25, so it would appear you are going to miss that ball on your voyage.

57 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The master dress code schedule for voyage V918 (July 14-28, Southampton-Southampton) indicates the Royal Cunard Ball will be on July 26, 2019. Your voyage V918B (July 16-25, Hamburg-Kiel) disembarks the day before on July 25, so it would appear you are going to miss that ball on your voyage.

Unfortunately, you can only use the dress code schedule as a general guide since the days and details are sometimes changed once you are on board the ship.  

We were once on a QM2 crossing which the schedule had shown St. Patrick's Day as is being Informal (what is now called Smart Attire).   I purchased a green fore-in-hand tie for that occasion and never got to wear it as the dress code was changed to Formal/Gala after we boarded the ship.

On 5/18/2019 at 4:18 PM, BobBranst said:

I believe the number of dancers is largely dependent on the itinerary of the ship.   Even on the QM2, I've noticed fewer dancers on the floor when on WC segments with frequent port excursions as opposed to those on TA crossings, where the dance floor is almost aways packed on formal/Gala nights.

We usually save our Quickstep for non-Gala nights when the floor is less crowded.

Same here Bob.

Seriously though in all my cruising with Cunard I have never seen a Queens Room so under utilised for dancing.

Whether it was itinerary resultant or the lack of enforcement of dress codes I will now never know.

The continuing downward spiral.