Naples Port Terminal Building!

No Bananas

Just finished a Mediterranean Cruise. Having to disembark in Naples was the worst part of the trip. They make you go down the gangway leading to the street. At this point you see the taxis and private tour groups less than 50 meters to the right. Can you go right? NO! Your forced to walk back into the terminal go back upstairs through the Land of crappy souvenirs. There were elderly people struggling with the distance. Young families humping a days worth of stuff. And its the same thing on return. It was such a money grab Disney Properties would be envious. We're able to do the extra walking but it was difficult for many. I  found it distasteful enough to complain here and a message to RCL.

6 minutes ago, No Bananas said:

Just finished a Mediterranean Cruise. Having to disembark in Naples was the worst part of the trip. They make you go down the gangway leading to the street. At this point you see the taxis and private tour groups less than 50 meters to the right. Can you go right? NO! Your forced to walk back into the terminal go back upstairs through the Land of crappy souvenirs. There were elderly people struggling with the distance. Young families humping a days worth of stuff. And its the same thing on return. It was such a money grab Disney Properties would be envious. We're able to do the extra walking but it was difficult for many. I  found it distasteful enough to complain here and a message to RCL.

Is this a new procedure? We were not forced to go through the terminal on our cruise.

I don't know. I wasn't on the RCL tour, Italy Tour Sharing. But regardless, people that have difficulty moving shouldn't have to schlep all over a terminal. Maybe more experience cruisers can comment.

Not uncommon. Happens in many ports. Happens in airports...our most recent experience at Cabo San Lucas in March. Happens in museums and on tours. Have had several guides joke that in their country/state/city, tours must end in the shops, by law.

The procedure has been around for a few years and I suspect it is more an issue of port security then forcing one to shop.  In the past few years it does seem like that have locked many of the auxiliary gates including many that used to make it easy to walk from a ship right into town.    This seems to be more common as ports try to come into compliance with certain International and national standards.   The last time we were docked in Naples, DW and I tried to quietly sneak out a more direct route to get over to Molo Beverello (the Ferry Port located next door to the cruise port).  We were actually surprised that the gates were secure and we were actually stopped by Port Security (very unusual in Italy).  We had to do a 180, then into the terminal building, up to the 2nd floor, through the large terminal, down the stairs, and we were FREE FREE FREE :).    None of the vendors inside the terminal bothered us.

Hank 

It has been several years (nearly a decade) since I had a port day at Naples but even then this was the process.  I don't remember the specifics but on that cruise I had my mother and my aunt both in wheelchairs so there must have been an elevator available.

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The procedure has been around for a few years and I suspect it is more an issue of port security then forcing one to shop. 

We were there via ship in 2014 and were not required to exit through the terminal. Just wondered if this was implemented since our last visit via ship - not that it really matters to us - should we decide to visit Naples via cruise, it will just take a little longer to get through the disembarkation process. Thanks for your reply.

9 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

IWe were there via ship in 2014 and were not required to exit through the terminal. Just wondered if this was implemented since our last visit via ship - not that it really matters to us - should we decide to visit Naples via cruise, it will just take a little longer to get through the disembarkation process. Thanks for your reply.

I guess the answer is yes although heaven knows what the policy will be tomorrow :).  We have no idea of exactly when they started locking down most of the port gates or if it is an intermittent thing that comes and goes (after all, we are talking about Italy).  But it has been the situation our last couple of visits.  We have another Civitavecchia visit in October and will try to remember to post an update.

Hank