Insight To A German Cruise - TUI Cruises Mein Schiff 1 - Canary Islands And Madeira

TUI Cruises 'Mein Schiff 1' - 7 Nights Canary Islands And Madeira - September 2018

Las Palmas - Funchal - La Palma - Tenerife - Fuerteventura - Las Palmas

Open the full report with 68 images at janswebsites.altervista.org, also availabe as PDF with 56 pages.

Or search for "! Jan's Websites ! Travel" including exclamation marks at major search engines.

My CruiseCritic Review: Mein Schiff 1 - Solid German Cruise-Craftsmanship by JMHamburg

i3ei9h37.jpg
Mein Schiff 1 · IMO9783564 · 13may2018 2006CEST (Hamburg)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've just found this. My family and I have been on 4 Mein Schiff ships but not on the new Mein Schiff 1. I agree with most of your comments. The smoking is annoying. We were lucky most of the time with our non smoking balcony neighbors.

I thought that the food in the buffet was much more varied and of better quality than on other mainstream cruise lines such as Princess and Holland America. Although Mein Schiff includes most alcohol and pours very generously, it is not really a premium line. The ships are too large and impersonal for that. 

Just  a short comment on your description of the cabin. It has a desk with drawers. A commode is a toilet.  😉

11 hours ago, Floridiana said:

A commode is a toilet.  😉

9 hours ago, Langoustine said:

In America, yes. Not in many other parts of the world.

In the UK a commode is a chair with a po (chamber pot) underneath the seat. Usually an elegant & comfy upholstered chair, its purpose hidden underneath, and sought-after as antiques.

And I guess there are more-practical & less elegant modern versions still in use in hospitals & nursing homes.

But since the OP had a bathroom I doubt that a "commode" in the cabin has the same meaning :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

The writer is probably German and fell for a false friend between English and German. "Kommode" is  a piece of furniture with drawers. The combination of stool, commode, and drawers … I hope he comes back to this thread and has a good laugh.

Back to the Mein Schiff ship. We'll be going around the British Isles on one of them in the summer of 2020. I actually forgot which one, probably 3.

Wow!  A new and much larger Mein Schiff!  FWIW, the original (?) Mein Schiff 1 was a repurposed Celebrity ship (Galaxy or Mercury).  We sailed on both those Celebrity ships and liked seeing them under their new names when we cruised in Europe.  And, yes, the Mein Schiff are German-speaking ships from what I understand.

Here is another definition:

"A chest of drawers or chiffonier of a decorative type popular in the 18th century Master cabinetmakers fashioned a low chest of drawers, which differed from the bureau commode, or large table with drawers, that was crafted in the baroque period.