Fairbanks - airport to AirBNB

bobbismith

Uber and Lyft were illegal until about two years ago.  Our state legislature had to modify wage and hour laws, so they are now operating in the state.  But neither company has much of a presence as of yet.

There are ALWAYS taxis meeting the planes at the Fairbanks Airport -- no matter what time you arrive (ie: 1:30 AM).  After you leave the baggage claim carousels, walk out of the closest exit and look to your left.  Taxis, from all companies, will be lined up.  

On 5/21/2019 at 6:43 AM, Northern Aurora said:

Uber and Lyft were illegal until about two years ago.  Our state legislature had to modify wage and hour laws, so they are now operating in the state.  But neither company has much of a presence as of yet.

There are ALWAYS taxis meeting the planes at the Fairbanks Airport -- no matter what time you arrive (ie: 1:30 AM).  After you leave the baggage claim carousels, walk out of the closest exit and look to your left.  Taxis, from all companies, will be lined up.  

Hello there!

I see you are from Fairbanks. I'm wondering if a Arctic Circle Fly/Drive tour is worthwhile in July. 

The morning departure costs $469. I'm not sure if the scenery from the air and on the highway is worth the price.

Also, if I take that tour, I have to be at the gathering point around 5a.m. or earlier. Is it easy to get a Uber or Lyft before 5a.m.? Or should I book taxi service in advance?

Thank you for your info!

As someone who also lives in Fairbanks I have found ALL of our taxi companies both reliable and safe.  And if any one of the companies doesn't operate 24 hours a day that is news to me.  And since we either drive ourselves or have a friend take us to the airport I have no idea how easy it is to get an Uber or Lyft at an early time.

This state is so large that I am always amused when folks tell me that they saw "all" of Alaska on a quick land tour and a seven night cruise.  I have no idea what company our OP is considering for their Arctic Circle excursion, but have found that Northern Alaska Tour Company is highly reputable and excellent.

On 5/26/2019 at 11:46 AM, Rafabril said:

Hello there!

I see you are from Fairbanks. I'm wondering if a Arctic Circle Fly/Drive tour is worthwhile in July. 

The morning departure costs $469. I'm not sure if the scenery from the air and on the highway is worth the price.

Also, if I take that tour, I have to be at the gathering point around 5a.m. or earlier. Is it easy to get a Uber or Lyft before 5a.m.? Or should I book taxi service in advance?

Thank you for your info!

We rented a car from Arctic Outfitters in Fairbanks to drive the Dalton Highway as far as Coldfoot and back two years ago this month. It might be a little different in July but I felt it was well worth the time, effort and cost.  We were doing a two week road trip starting and ending in Anchorage.  The Dalton/Coldfoot day was our favorite.  The scenery is interesting to see - some lush forest, some stark tundra, etc. It's all beautiful in its own way.  I don't know how it would look from the air - it probably depends on how high they fly.  Driving was cool because we were able to stop as long and as often as we wanted and we stopped A LOT.  There's just too many interesting things to investigate.  The road was much better than I anticipated and we had PERFECT weather.  It was around June 1st so it never truly got dark - it was actually bright enough to drive without headlights.  If we get another chance we want to devote at least three days and go all the way to Deadhorse and back.  Good luck!

On 5/27/2019 at 10:33 AM, Taters said:

Eagle/Yellow taxi company is reliable and safe.  They operate 24 hours a day.  You can call the when you need them or set up a time call with them. 907-455-5555.

Thank you for the useful info!

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 10:55 AM, Northern Aurora said:

As someone who also lives in Fairbanks I have found ALL of our taxi companies both reliable and safe.  And if any one of the companies doesn't operate 24 hours a day that is news to me.  And since we either drive ourselves or have a friend take us to the airport I have no idea how easy it is to get an Uber or Lyft at an early time.

This state is so large that I am always amused when folks tell me that they saw "all" of Alaska on a quick land tour and a seven night cruise.  I have no idea what company our OP is considering for their Arctic Circle excursion, but have found that Northern Alaska Tour Company is highly reputable and excellent.

Thank you for the recommendation. I think I'll do a tour with that comany:)

12 hours ago, SuperCrewBear said:

We rented a car from Arctic Outfitters in Fairbanks to drive the Dalton Highway as far as Coldfoot and back two years ago this month. It might be a little different in July but I felt it was well worth the time, effort and cost.  We were doing a two week road trip starting and ending in Anchorage.  The Dalton/Coldfoot day was our favorite.  The scenery is interesting to see - some lush forest, some stark tundra, etc. It's all beautiful in its own way.  I don't know how it would look from the air - it probably depends on how high they fly.  Driving was cool because we were able to stop as long and as often as we wanted and we stopped A LOT.  There's just too many interesting things to investigate.  The road was much better than I anticipated and we had PERFECT weather.  It was around June 1st so it never truly got dark - it was actually bright enough to drive without headlights.  If we get another chance we want to devote at least three days and go all the way to Deadhorse and back.  Good luck!

Thank you for sharing!

Since I don't drive, I have to take a tour, though it means we can't make stops whenever we like.

Your words assure me that the tour is worth the money and time:))