Seas in the Med in October and Thereabouts

Thinking about an autumn cruise in the Med on a small (Azamara) ship, but a bit wary of rough seas.  Can I ask what is likely in the Med at that time of year and if we could have different experiences depending on location i.e. West or Eastern Med.  I know the Eastern Med will be warmer, but thinking more of rough seas.  We are also wondering if seas may, on average, be a bit better early or late autumn (September or November).  I realise that it will not be hot and sunny all the time and that we can encounter rain.

I know that weather can never be predicted for any given month, but if anyone can comment on general weather patterns, it would be very useful to us, especially as we are thinking of travelling on a small ship.

Edited by tring

We have cruised in the Med in October, November and in December and had very smooth, calm seas each time.  This was the Western Med. 

Just an FYI, our daughter and SIL cruised in the Med in July.  They had calm seas for most of their cruise, but one day was very rough and lots of people were sea sick.  So you never know what type of seas you will encounter. 

Also, the heat in July was oppressive.  On the other hand, we had great weather on each of our fall sailings.  Plus the crowds are not as big as in the summer time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daisyloo said:

Also, the heat in July was oppressive.  On the other hand, we had great weather on each of our fall sailings.  Plus the crowds are not as big as in the summer time

This is why we prefer the shoulder seasons (spring/fall). We have visited the med in Oct & Nov - no issues with rough seas.

• Like 1

Thanks for both of those replies.  I had forgotten how hot it can get in the med in the summer, which pretty well cinches it.  We are looking at a cruise with little distance between the ports anyway and no sea days, so as long as we are armed with the travel sick tabs (which we always are) it will be no problem at all.

I've taken seven Med cruises in October and November on Aegean Odyssey (~350 passengers) and one on Swan Hellenic, same size. Out of those cruises, I can recall three days with seas that I'd consider rough. One at Rhodes, one with high winds that prevented us entering the port at Civitavecchia, and one sailing out of Palermo and east. (The first and last ones were on the same cruise, so really seas only impacted two of my cruises in any way...)

I think that's a pretty good ratio.

• Like 1