Hello from Bergen

Little Monty

Hello all from on-board Viking Sky. We boarded yesterday (Monday) and sail away at 6pm today for stops along the coast of Norway and then off to Iceland.

As background - this is our 3rd Viking cruise but we were novices when we took our first cruise in 2017.

I know there are other CC members on-board so I don’t want to hog the conversation, so just a few initial thoughts.

The ship is lovely, the staff friendly and efficient, the food is perfect for our tastes, wine selections very acceptable, and (as this is our 3rd time in the same cabin category - so we are very familiar and comfortable) the stateroom perfectly meets our needs.

There are a number of familiar faces (staff) in the World Cafe, bars etc which also makes us feel at home.

I don’t expect we will have any concerns or complaints .. and if we do I believe the staff will do what they can to resolve.

I am a Viking fan but if something is not right I will take the issue up with staff and I will report the outcome here.

Just a couple of asides .. we arrived via Amsterdam (a very nice place for a stopover) and stayed at the Radisson. We were not part of the Viking group who were also there. We walked from the hotel to the ship. Check-in to the ship was quick and easy - there were about 15 check-in desks and only 10 couples checking in so we were served straight away (around 10.45am).

Today we went to Mt Ulriken  - own arrangements, we walked to the bus near the Tourist Office and purchased our tickets at the bus stop. Very nice, but less to do once we got up there compared to Mt Floyen (which we visited last time). The extra benefit of Mt Floyen is the option of a lovely walk down the mountain to town rather than a return trip on the funicular.

The weather this morning was ok, a couple of light showers but also a few sunny breaks.

A word about the weather. In April Bergen had a number of days where the temperature was above 20 degrees Celsius. In early May it reached 25 degrees. This week it is much colder .. 3 degrees at 10am this morning. 8 degrees maximum today and tomorrow. 

Tomorrow we are in Flam where we have the included excursion in the morning and a Viking optional in the afternoon. Rain is predicted to fall most of the day, maximum predicted 8 degrees.

We are in Geiranger in a few days time, where snow is forecast.

My message is .. come prepared.

Bergen is a beautiful location and we are very pleased to be back here .. but also very excited about the days ahead.

I probably wont be watching this forum every day but if you have any questions please let me know and I will see if I can answer at some stage.

Cheers from me, LM

Edited by Little Monty
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

LM, I'm with ya! We are doing this trip next year at about the same time, so I will be hanging on your every word.

One thing that I want to hear about is if you have to skip any ports because of weather. Another is that I hope you will report on the shorex that you do. Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

LM, I'm with ya! We are doing this trip next year at about the same time, so I will be hanging on your every word.

One thing that I want to hear about is if you have to skip any ports because of weather. Another is that I hope you will report on the shorex that you do. Thanks.

Hello Peregrina651 .. yep, I will keep you informed.We are doing a mix of included and optional with a private tour on our second day in Reykjavik. We are doing the 2 day extension with Viking in Reykjavik.

We just found out at port talk that tomorrow is tender rather than docking in Flam. That was news to all .. but no problems, roll with the flow.

8 minutes ago, Lotusgirl22 said:

Thank you, LM.  We are on the next cruise starting in Reykjavik,  so I appreciate this.  You have confirmed my plan to assume that it will be cold and rainy, and hope for the best in terms of weather.

Thanks Lotusgirl22 .. yes hoping for the best but planning to enjoy ourselves regardless. I will keep you posted.

Thank you for starting this thread. We will be onboard with Lotusgirl22 on the reverse trip back to Bergen. We too are packing for cold and hoping warm. Updates are greatly appreciated, shore excursions for sure. But enjoy your trip first!

1 minute ago, jbeeg said:

Thank you for starting this thread. We will be onboard with Lotusgirl22 on the reverse trip back to Bergen. We too are packing for cold and hoping warm. Updates are greatly appreciated, shore excursions for sure. But enjoy your trip first!

Thank you 👍

We are also on the Aug. 13, reverse itinerary, so hoping this thread will continue and “fill out”, so to speak.  Having made the Bergen to Montreal trip two years ago - with Viking, early to mid-September - I can say, as others have, that the secret word is layers and expect the weather to change at a moment’s notice!

1 hour ago, AGG3 said:

Looking forward to your reports.  We are on the Aug. 13th Iceland to Norway Cruise.  First time on Viking.  Thank you for your input.

No worries - thank you.

I try to avoid discussions about food as what is perfect for me might be terrible for you .. and just because my meal was perfectly cooked and presented doesn’t mean yours will be.

Suffice to say however, we think the food on board is fantastic.

But .. we have just finished an early dinner in Manfridi’s and have been reminded of one important issue.

Some of the meals are huge, far too large for most of us mortals. The special steak they serve there is great and I have had it a couple of times, but the 9oz NY rib is just as good and half the volume.

Tonight I had a lovely soup - and then the parmigiana chicken .. thinking the chicken would be ‘normal’ size.

It was huge .. covering most of the plate. I hate wasting food knowing so many are going hungry every night but I only ate half.

My suggestion.. ask about the portion size. I know they do the special steak half size if you ask, I suggest you ask for a half size on the chicken parmigiana as well .. unless you are a sumo wrestler or an NFL Linebacker (I don’t actually know what a Libebacker is or what he does, but I think they are pretty big guys 😀).

The food was delicious.. as was dinner last night and lunch today in the World Cafe - but please do be aware of this issue in Manfridi’s. LM

Edited by Little Monty
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Great background ! GLW and I are also ramping up for our first Viking cruise ex Bergen to Montreal on 12 September this year, so this is a good primer for Bergen as a start, plus Ship feedback especially on dining options.

Luv ya work 

12 minutes ago, BravoTango said:

Great background ! GLW and I are also ramping up for our first Viking cruise ex Bergen to Montreal on 12 September this year, so this is a good primer for Bergen as a start, plus Ship feedback especially on dining options.

Luv ya work 

Thank you.

Too excited to sleep so I am looking at the snow on the hills as we approach Flam.

It’s not snowing at sea level but there is lots of snow not too far up the hills. The weather app says 4 degrees at present heading for a high of 7 degrees later today.

Mobile phone and wi fi coverage both troublesome so I might not get too many more chances to post today.

All good, loving every minute. LM

• Like 1

Arriving into Flam and the sun just peeped through. It’s cold and windy. 

We we are on the first included excursion at 9am but have to meet at 8.15am to prepare for tender transfer.

I’ll check in again later.

LM

DC0F3037-9F61-4370-868B-32EE473D0CAD.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Little Monty said:

No worries - thank you.

I try to avoid discussions about food as what is perfect for me might be terrible for you .. and just because my meal was perfectly cooked and presented doesn’t mean yours will be.

Suffice to say however, we think the food on board is fantastic.

But .. we have just finished an early dinner in Manfridi’s and have been reminded of one important issue.

Some of the meals are huge, far too large for most of us mortals. The special steak they serve there is great and I have had it a couple of times, but the 9oz NY rib is just as good and half the volume.

Tonight I had a lovely soup - and then the parmigiana chicken .. thinking the chicken would be ‘normal’ size.

It was huge .. covering most of the plate. I hate wasting food knowing so many are going hungry every night but I only ate half.

My suggestion.. ask about the portion size. I know they do the special steak half size if you ask, I suggest you ask for a half size on the chicken parmigiana as well .. unless you are a sumo wrestler or an NFL Linebacker (I don’t actually know what a Libebacker is or what he does, but I think they are pretty big guys 😀).

The food was delicious.. as was dinner last night and lunch today in the World Cafe - but please do be aware of this issue in Manfridi’s. LM

The portion sizes are often an issue for us.  The Manfredi's steak is delicious but I hate wasting food.  Just an FYI ... on our last trip my daughter and I asked if they could split the steak  for us and they were happy to.  We both ordered it medium rare so that helped, but out came two plates; each with half of the steak and all the usual trimmings!  It was so nice ... we may do the same on our upcoming trip!

On 5/28/2019 at 8:27 AM, Little Monty said:

Hello all from on-board Viking Sky. We boarded yesterday (Monday) and sail away at 6pm today for stops along the coast of Norway and then off to Iceland.

We will also be on the Aug. 13th sailing for this cruise and it will be so helpful to have your first-hand account.  Please include comments about any excursions -- through the ship or outside vendor -- you take. I eagerly await your next posts. 

1 hour ago, cruiser02 said:

Us too.  Looks comfortable and roomy 

Any comments ? 

Silly questions:   Is the mini-bar restocked daily ?  Free laundry ? 

We love it the PS .. our agent told us to book PV the first cruise we booked as she had been in PV and it was perfectly acceptable to her. However my DW had seen a photo of the PS and said to the agent - ‘I want that one’. I’m glad she did. For as long as we can afford it we will book PS.

The laundry service is wonderful. Fill the bag, fill out a form and it comes back the next afternoon washed and folded in a lovely box. I should add, we did our own load in the self service laundry the day we boarded as we had been travelling for a few days and didn’t think it was appropriate to dump it on the cabin staff.

We just used the mini bar for the first time and assume it will be replaced in the morning. I’ll confirm tomorrow. We have the SS package and generally just go to the bar.

1 hour ago, iluv2cruztoo said:

We will also be on the Aug. 13th sailing for this cruise and it will be so helpful to have your first-hand account.  Please include comments about any excursions -- through the ship or outside vendor -- you take. I eagerly await your next posts. 

We visited Bergen a couple of years ago and did the Flam Railway then. Today we did the included tour this morning (2 hours) and ‘Villages and Valleys’ this afternoon (4 hours).

Both were perfectly acceptable with lovely views of snow capped mountains and glorious fjords, with good guides and lots of fun.

Both however are bus tours and come with the limitations (and annoyances) which bus tours provide.

If it is your first visit to the area I suggest you do one of the Flam Railway excursions (7 hours or 3.5 hours). If however you do ‘Norway in a Nutshell’ from Oslo to Bergen (this includes the Flam Railway) then what we did today would be an ideal follow up.

Today we had rain and low cloud with some sunny breaks (we even had a few snow flakes fall) but the weather in August will likely be quite different. 

Thank you LM for all of this info, learned a lot.  This is our first VO, so inhaling all the information.  Will be joining Lotusgirl22 and Jeebg next week in Reykjavik.  Can't believe that  you had snow in Flam, went and pulled out some gloves! Hope you have safe travels!  Please, keep updating.