Hello from Bergen

Little Monty

18 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

We are doing the train from Bergen to Oslo in 2020.  I'd like to know how you like it... I believe it is not exactly the same as "Norway in a Nutshell".  I'm trying to get details about that. But I am thinking if I do that and Flam it might be too much train time as well. 

Are you getting your flights and pre-cruise all through Viking... I have to make that decision in a few weeks.  I like the idea of doing it that way. IF THEY MAKE IT EASY. But if it's a hassle... maybe we're better off on our own.  I'm already thinking of adding a day to the beginning of the pre-cruise so I get 2 full days in Oslo instead of 1. Nice to have that extra day to rest for the journey... and there's a lot I'd like to see in Oslo!

We have always handled extensions and air with Viking.  Very easy. Also did the Bergen Express with the Oslo extension in 2016 (Viking Homelands). The way the extension worked was that after arrival at the airport and before taking us to our hotel (the Hotel Bristol) they gave us a bus tour of the area. Mostly to kill time so we wouldn't arrive too early to the hotel but also to give us a quick look at the area. After checking into the hotel we were free to go wandering on our own. The following morning we toured the major sites in Oslo itself. Around noon we boarded the Bergen  Express arriving in Bergen around 6 and checked into the Radisson Blu.  The following morning we went to the various major sites in Bergen (what they would cover during the included tour if you hadn't done the extension) and by noon delivered us to the terminal to board the ship. We thought the Bergen Express was worth it.  If you want to arrive a day early, the Viking Air folks are used to handling those requests. Did so for me with our trip this July. A small extra air deviation charge and you're on your own to get a hotel and the taxi from the airport. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

to Peregrina who caught what I'd done and told me about it. 

Yeh, she's kind of freaky when it comes to that personal safety and security stuff. No surnames, avoid hometowns, no phone numbers, disposable e-mail addresses whenever you can, no real names in screen names. You know, that kind of stuff.

If you do post personal info that you did not intend to post and you don't catch it in the 20 minute edit period, the best way to handle getting it removed is to use the Report Post link (which will appear if you hover next to the post#, at least on a desktop browser, not sure about mobile, etc).

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

Are you getting your flights and pre-cruise all through Viking... I have to make that decision in a few weeks. 

Before our Homelands cruise in 2018, we spent time in Oslo on our own.  We booked a hotel near Oslo Central station for 3  nights and were able to see a lot in Oslo on foot and by tram.  We then took the Norway in a Nutshell, booking with Fjord Tours and using a porter service to haul the larger bags to a hotel in Bergen. We booked one night in a hotel in Flam to break the busy trip into 2 days and absolutely loved all parts of it - train, bus, boat, antique train plus the evening in Flam.  We arrived in Bergen the day before we boarded the ship and were able to do some extra things there.  Doing it yourself gives you more time, but it does require more planning.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yeh, she's kind of freaky when it comes to that personal safety and security stuff. No surnames, avoid hometowns, no phone numbers, disposable e-mail addresses whenever you can, no real names in screen names. You know, that kind of stuff.

It's what makes you so special and precious!!! :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, CharTrav said:

...If you want to arrive a day early, the Viking Air folks are used to handling those requests. Did so for me with our trip this July. A small extra air deviation charge and you're on your own to get a hotel and the taxi from the airport. Hope this helps!

When I wrote this earlier I was working from memory. I'm looking at the "cost estimation" sheet for our VR trip next month.  It is called an "air deviation fee" -- and costs $100pp which isn't really "small" I would suppose but not in any way "huge" when compared to the total cost.

1 hour ago, CharTrav said:

When I wrote this earlier I was working from memory. I'm looking at the "cost estimation" sheet for our VR trip next month.  It is called an "air deviation fee" -- and costs $100pp which isn't really "small" I would suppose but not in any way "huge" when compared to the total cost.

If you have a good Viking deal on the airfare, it still might be cheaper to deviate and make your own hotel and transfer arrangements, than to pay for a Viking extension. It just depends on your comfort level when it comes to on your own arrangements.

10 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

If you have a good Viking deal on the airfare, it still might be cheaper to deviate and make your own hotel and transfer arrangements, than to pay for a Viking extension. It just depends on your comfort level when it comes to on your own arrangements.

For us it is a deviation so we can arrive a day earlier than the normal arrival day for the 5-day extension. But yes - I agree - if all you want to do is arrive a little earlier and do things on your own - less expensive to simply pay the deviation and handle your own arrangements until the actual sail date. For me - I was willing to handle finding us a room for one night so DH could have more time to adjust to the time shift (doesn't sleep much if at all on flights whereas I can konk out just fine); not sure how comfortable I would have been doing more than that. 

Edited by CharTrav

Before our Homelands cruise in 2018, we spent time in Oslo on our own.  We booked a hotel near Oslo Central station for 3  nights and were able to see a lot in Oslo on foot and by tram.  We then took the Norway in a Nutshell, booking with Fjord Tours and using a porter service to haul the larger bags to a hotel in Bergen. We booked one night in a hotel in Flam to break the busy trip into 2 days and absolutely loved all parts of it - train, bus, boat, antique train plus the evening in Flam.  We arrived in Bergen the day before we boarded the ship and were able to do some extra things there.  Doing it yourself gives you more time, but it does require more planning.   
We'll be doing almost the exact combination next week, but with two nights in Bergen before embarkation.
Did you do the Oslo Pass or Bergen Card? If so, did you feel they were worth it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We did the Oslo Pass and felt it was definitely worth it.  We do not usually get that type of pass in cities, but the one in Oslo paid off.  We purchased it ahead online and picked it up at the Vistors' Center under the train station.  We did not get the Bergen Pass.

On 6/4/2019 at 7:29 PM, Liz Masterson said:

We are doing the train from Bergen to Oslo in 2020.  I'd like to know how you like it... I believe it is not exactly the same as "Norway in a Nutshell".  I'm trying to get details about that. But I am thinking if I do that and Flam it might be too much train time as well. 

Are you getting your flights and pre-cruise all through Viking... I have to make that decision in a few weeks.  I like the idea of doing it that way. IF THEY MAKE IT EASY. But if it's a hassle... maybe we're better off on our own.  I'm already thinking of adding a day to the beginning of the pre-cruise so I get 2 full days in Oslo instead of 1. Nice to have that extra day to rest for the journey... and there's a lot I'd like to see in Oslo!

We are not doing Norway in a nutshell, just the train from Bergen to Oslo. Unfortunately we don’t have any extra time in Oslo as the flight that day is way less expensive than ones in the next few days. We have not booked air through any cruise line so I can’t  report on that. I will try to remember to post something about the train ride after we return. 

We arrived in Reykjavik yesterday. Clear with chilly wind. Today we are taking Eastwest tours to Snaefellsnes peninsula. Another beautiful day. Warning against Arctic Adventure tours! I read something negative on line about them & now I have my own experience. On a 2 lane road, our van had to slam on breaks as their van passed us with oncoming traffic!!!  Our driver was pretty upset. Us too! A very close call. 

• Thanks 1

A lovely day in Isafjordur today .. blue sky and very light breeze. What we have been hoping for all week.

We did the included excursion this morning and it was ok .. 58 people on a bus is too many for my liking and this dimmed my enthusiasm.

The excursion itself is nevertheless worthwhile and we had a great guide. He was a young guy (Jake) who has degrees in Geology and Environment Management who is doing his Masters here.

He was really good.

The town is lovely - especially in the bright sunshine - and there is a real sense of shared community. 

It it is of course a small town in a remote location so don’t expect high street shopping. There is a very nice bakery behind the Hotel Isafjordur if you want to try a local speciality.

From the ship, a 15 min walk to the bakery.

Reykjavik tomorrow.

Edited by Little Monty
Error
  • Like 1

We are finally here and at the Canopy Hilton. We have our excursion to the coast tomorrow.  Still plan on having our happy hour and meet and greet at 7.  When you come in the Hilton come in the lobby , go up the stairs and the bar is right there.  Looking forward to meeting everyone, even if we haven't  talked, you are still welcome to come and join us. The more the merrier.  

I am wondering whether my 19 year old son will have anyone near his age on one of these cruises. Do you see any young people (late teens, early twenties)?  He is great with all ages but would really like to meet someone closer to his own age to hang with once in a while.

47 minutes ago, CruisingAgain said:

I am wondering whether my 19 year old son will have anyone near his age on one of these cruises. Do you see any young people (late teens, early twenties)?  He is great with all ages but would really like to meet someone closer to his own age to hang with once in a while.

Possibly. Viking's minimum age is 18 at the time of sailing. You are more apt to see family groups in the summer months, when students are on vacation. Also on the Christmas and New Year sailings. Still Viking attracts mostly an older clientele, because that is the demographic they market to.

Also note that Viking cabins accommodate two guests only. There are no cots or sleep sofas.