Golden Princess Question

karatemom2

We love the Golden - it's the Princess ship we have spent more days on than any other and are excited about the prospect of cruising round trip from LA to Alaska on it next year. I thought I saw somewhere that the Medallion is scheduled to roll out on the Golden this December which would be amazing. We were just on the Royal and really enjoyed having the Medallion Net and other aspects of the Medallion program. But on the other hand, I'm not finding any cruises scheduled on the Golden after August next year and I had heard that Princess was selling her off to another line. Just wondering if anyone knows if that is still the case? I would just be surprised if they added the Medallion technology to a ship that is about to be out of use. Seems like a pretty expensive upgrade for just a few months of service. It's not a deal breaker in any way - we are 100 percent going on the Alaska cruise on the Golden next summer, even if it's her last hurrah. It just would be nice to have the Medallion if they are really planning to go through with adding it. Any insights would be appreciated!

Yes, Golden is being transferred to P&O Cruises in 2020.

She will have the Medallion.net internet in December of this year. But I don't think it's likely she'll be full Medallion for your cruise.

Medallion Net is coming to Golden:

MedallionNet is currently available on: Caribbean Princess®, Coral Princess®, Island Princess®, Regal Princess®, Ruby Princess® and Royal Princess®ships.

Coming soon throughout 2019: Crown Princess® by July 12, Emerald Princess® by August 3, Sky Princess® by October 27, Golden Princess® by December 20 and Enchanted Princess® by June 19, 2020.

...but not "Medallion Class (sic) cruising"

Princess MedallionClass Ships: Caribbean Princess® | Regal Princess® | Royal Princess®
Coming soon to:  Crown Princess® (7/24/19), Sky Princess® (10/12/19), Ruby Princess® (1/27/20), Grand Princess® (3/29/20), Enchanted Princess®(6/15/20), Emerald Princess® (8/16/20), Coral Princess® (10/16/20), and Island Princess® (12/20/20).

I am normally not inclined to take a cross-country flight just for a ship (rather than the itinerary) but I too hope to sail Golden or Star one more time before they leave the fleet over the next two years.

Thanks for the responses - that makes more sense. Well I'd be happy to have Medallion Net if that is the extent of it. It worked great for us on the Royal. And fishywood, I agree, I will always hold a special place in my heart for the Golden - we spent many wonderful Christmas holidays on her going to Hawaii from LA and back with our kids and I would definitely go a little out of my way to sail on her one last time - fortunately for us we won't have to go far. I'm very excited about the prospect of going to Alaska out of Los Angeles next year!

Edited by karatemom2

Medallion Net starts on the day we disembark the golden..

After this cruise we would have spent 78 days on the golden .

All the Sensor for the medallion were installed when we were on in February this year

We might get one more cruise on her before her goes to P&O

Cheers Don

• Like 1

We're booked on the Golden on a Princess cruise (not transferred to P&O yet) RT Melbourne in Jan 2020. Looks like the ship won't be MedallionClass although it will have the improved MedallionNet wifi.  It's available on our reservation and I hadn't noticed yet.

16 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I wonder what P&O will do with the sensors.:classic_blink:

The Medallion program was a Carnival Corp. purchase with Princess the first to use. It's likely P&O will also use the sensors in some way.

• Like 1