Spectacular architecture in UAE!

BBMacLaird

We have been to Dubai twice and it is a fascinating place.  A few tips for anyone visiting:-

Burj al Arab - you can book a meal in one of the restaurants or afternoon tea if you want to go inside.  Lunch and afternoon tea are served in Al Muntaha and the bar next door for afternoon tea, which is on a very high floor with stunning views.  So book for daytime as at night, you cannot see anything.

Downtown Dubai - the fountain show happens each evening at the foot of Burj Khalifa and adjacent to Dubai Mall.  Stunning.  It is worth booking a lakeside restaurant well in advance and, asking for a table on the edge of the terrace to view the display which is set to music and happens every hour I think.  We had a wander around the Mall, had tickets booked for Burj Khalifa for sunset so we were at the top in daylight and watched the sunset.  Then dinner at a very good Thai on the lake.

Pre or post hotels with a difference:-

If you wanted to extend, I highly recommend the following:-

Al Maha Desert Resort and Spa - inclusive of all meals and activities including 4x4 dune bashing, camels into the desert for champagne and sunset, horse riding, falconry, etc.  45 minutes from Dubai.  It was No 1 in Dubai for years on TA until TA changed it’s location to Murquabb.  They often do 3 nights for the price of 2 which makes the high price more acceptable!

Six Senses Zighy Bay - superb. 120 minutes by car from Dubai airport.  

20 hours ago, Werangels said:

We have been to Dubai twice and it is a fascinating place.  A few tips for anyone visiting:-

Burj al Arab - you can book a meal in one of the restaurants or afternoon tea if you want to go inside.  Lunch and afternoon tea are served in Al Muntaha and the bar next door for afternoon tea, which is on a very high floor with stunning views.  So book for daytime as at night, you cannot see anything.

Downtown Dubai - the fountain show happens each evening at the foot of Burj Khalifa and adjacent to Dubai Mall.  Stunning.  It is worth booking a lakeside restaurant well in advance and, asking for a table on the edge of the terrace to view the display which is set to music and happens every hour I think.  We had a wander around the Mall, had tickets booked for Burj Khalifa for sunset so we were at the top in daylight and watched the sunset.  Then dinner at a very good Thai on the lake.

Al Maha Desert Resort and Spa - inclusive of all meals and activities including 4x4 dune bashing, camels into the desert for champagne and sunset, horse riding, falconry, etc.  45 minutes from Dubai.  It was No 1 in Dubai for years on TA until TA changed it’s location to Murquabb.  They often do 3 nights for the price of 2 which makes the high price more acceptable!

This is helpful...thank you Werangels!

23 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

There is some AzAmazing architecture to view in the United Arab Emirates. 

Fortunately we have many cruises in 2019/2020/2021 with calls to the United Arab Emirates!

Have you been? 

Already booked on the Quest departing Dec 17 from Dubai!!!  Can't wait!  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Werangels said:

Hi Werangels!  Thanks for these awesome recommendations!  We are booked on the Quest departing Dec 17 from Dubai!  SO excited.  

You are both very welcome.

I should have also said that Al Maha is a nature conservation area and accommodation is in individual tent-like structures with their own pools surrounded by decking overlooking the desert. The oryx and gazelles come right up to the edge of the deck.  It is amazing.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:05 PM, Werangels said:

the fountain show

No need to book a restaurant table for a good viewing. It's every 30 minutes with different music each time. We came at the end of one show, waited until people left and got a ringside view waiting until the next show. In the meantime you can people watch.

5 hours ago, Floridiana said:

No need to book a restaurant table for a good viewing. It's every 30 minutes with different music each time. We came at the end of one show, waited until people left and got a ringside view waiting until the next show. In the meantime you can people watch.

Correct.  If you just want to see the fountains in the crowds on your feet. 

We booked a restaurant, what a waste of money. The table was next to the balustrade, but we had a better view an hour later at a prime spot and on our feet. I don't want people to get the impression that the only way you can enjoy those fountains is by booking a table.

We visited 5 of the 7 Emirates on a prior cruise and agree that the architecture is amazing. I would add that the Sheikh Zayed Grand  Mosque in Abu Dhabi was one of the most amazing sites & should not be missed. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Floridiana said:

We booked a restaurant, what a waste of money. The table was next to the balustrade, but we had a better view an hour later at a prime spot and on our feet. I don't want people to get the impression that the only way you can enjoy those fountains is by booking a table.

Absolutely get you. The fountains are a free event nightly.  What a shame your restaurant didn’t work out.  We had a fabulous view, great food, good atmosphere with everyone clapping after each performance and sat there for around 3 hours.  It was a lovely evening.

55 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

Absolutely!

Werangels, You were lucky.

You know we weren’t lucky.  I always research and I would hate your experience to put people off booking a restaurant.

It is relatively simple to search restaurant suggestions for a good fountain position on TA’s forum and I imagine on here too.

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2019 at 2:05 PM, Werangels said:

Thanks for your recommendations, I will be looking these up right away!   I am hoping 3 nights post-cruise will be enough to get more of a feel for the city.

9 hours ago, Epicureangirl said:

Thanks for your recommendations, I will be looking these up right away!   I am hoping 3 nights post-cruise will be enough to get more of a feel for the city.

Neither of the hotels are in the city.  Zighy Bay is about a 2 hour drive over the mountains and Al Maha about 50 minutes outside.  If you want to explore the city and have a beach/resort feel, Jumeirah Walk is a good location.  Be wary of the Palm as it is a long way out of the city, particularly the further onto the Palm you go and Dubai traffic can be horrendous.  A great central hotel is the Address, Dubai Mall.  Worth paying for a room with a view of Burj Khalifa.

4 hours ago, Werangels said:

If you want to explore the city and have a beach/resort feel, Jumeirah Walk is a good location.  Be wary of the Palm as it is a long way out of the city, particularly the further onto the Palm you go and Dubai traffic can be horrendous.  A great central hotel is the Address, Dubai Mall.  Worth paying for a room with a view of Burj Khalifa.

The Address definitely has the style I like. It looks like for the flights I want, I may end up staying 2 nights before and 3 after (giving me a chance to try two hotels out).  Sadly the first night I probably won’t get to the hotel until 1am.  I really bristle paying so much for a room when I can’t even check in at a reasonable hour to enjoy the surroundings.   That looks like a fabulous location, thanks for the suggestions. I was planning to stay out of the Palm with the traffic nightmare, and am not really a beach person so Dubai Mall area could work quite nicely.  Thanks again!

46 minutes ago, Epicureangirl said:

The Address definitely has the style I like. It looks like for the flights I want, I may end up staying 2 nights before and 3 after (giving me a chance to try two hotels out).  Sadly the first night I probably won’t get to the hotel until 1am.  I really bristle paying so much for a room when I can’t even check in at a reasonable hour to enjoy the surroundings.   That looks like a fabulous location, thanks for the suggestions. I was planning to stay out of the Palm with the traffic nightmare, and am not really a beach person so Dubai Mall area could work quite nicely.  Thanks again!

You are welcome.  You could always stay cheaply at the airport for your first night?