Labour troubles in the port of Vancouver

Management and the unions for the port of Vancouver are squabbling, and there is a possibility of a lockout and/or strike.  But both sides claim it will only impact container ships, not cruise ships (or grain shipments).  So if you're scheduled to sail into or out of Vancouver, perhaps as part of an Alaska cruise, you do not need to worry. That, of course, assumes that the squabble doesn't escalate.

Thank you for posting that information.  Just want to remind people that departing from the Port of Vancouver can be a long process (many people wait up to 3 hours) so I highly recommend getting to the port early.

A post-script to my previous posting about our Tokyo to Vancouver ending in mid-May. I didn't comment on this in that post as we were definitely in the minority.

We were the only cruise ship to embark at Canada Place that day. Regent was extremely well organized. We were off in an early group. Bags were easily found; then....... We had 4 suitcases and 2 carry-ons. Those who had less luggage proceeded smartly through Canadian Customs to the buses with lots of Regent signage pointing the way. Our problem was that the port management only had 4 dollys (hotel style) for all of us that needed assistance and the dolly handlers moved at a snail's pace through Customs to the buses and return. After waiting for a dolly for over 45 minutes after retrieving our bags; we moved smartly through Customs and found that we had missed our bus to the airport. The Regent contractors put us on the next airport bus, which was also delayed waiting for others with more than 2 bags. We had lots of time til our 1:45 PM flight so not a bbig deal for us. But there was obvious friction between the port management and the dolly handlers.

I would heed the OP advice and plan for delays.