1st Time Using Cheers

Well, DH and I finally decided to to give Cheers a try. We were able to save 10% on Cheers by paying with Carnival Gift Cards we bought through AARP. This will be a short 3 day cruise to the Bahamas and we plan to stay on the ship most of the time we are in port. We've been cruising on Carnival for more than 20 yrs. We've done the pay as you go plan, smuggled liquor on board with Rum Runners and  bought beer and liquor for our cabin. I do like the convenience of having beverages in the room for when I just want to grab a cold beer and sit on the balcony. But, it's only 3 days, so this was the perfect time to see if Cheers will work for us! 

We just did our first "Cheers" cruise on the Breeze a couple of months ago.  We are also long time cruisers and used to do the smuggling thing.  Once we decided that smuggling wasn't for us anymore, we purchased booze and mixers for use in the cabin. We've done that for years and having a drink on the balcony was great.  We decided to take the leap to buying Cheers last time and I think we will continue.  We pretty much broke even, but it was very convenient.  We were able to try new drinks and got plenty of bottled water and even tried the specialty coffees.  We stopped by a bar on the way up to the cabin and still had drinks on the balcony!     

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RoperDK said:

We just did our first "Cheers" cruise on the Breeze a couple of months ago.  We are also long time cruisers and used to do the smuggling thing.  Once we decided that smuggling wasn't for us anymore, we purchased booze and mixers for use in the cabin. We've done that for years and having a drink on the balcony was great.  We decided to take the leap to buying Cheers last time and I think we will continue.  We pretty much broke even, but it was very convenient.  We were able to try new drinks and got plenty of bottled water and even tried the specialty coffees.  We stopped by a bar on the way up to the cabin and still had drinks on the balcony!     

We have done the same and have purchased Cheers for the last 4 cruises and will continue to do so for the convenience of it. We are not big drinkers but I enjoy martini's so always get my monies worth and the added coffees water and energy drinks.    

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RumpunchGirl said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. One of the things I was wondering about is how long you have to wait in line at the bar to get a drink? Should I still time the bartenders and wait staff? 

I have never had to wait very long.  If I see that one bar is busy, I move along to the next one.  Plenty to choose from.  

• Like 1

I've never once got the feeling that the lines were absurd. Sure if you go during peak hours, there may be a little wait at times. Just like every other bar in the world. People just like to complain.

Did my first Cheers when I did a 4-day cruise with some buddies, and it was a decent deal. I wish there were more bourbon options though. Would never consider it for a week-long cruise with my girlfriend.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RumpunchGirl said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. One of the things I was wondering about is how long you have to wait in line at the bar to get a drink? Should I still time the bartenders and wait staff? 

Is it safe to assume you meant tip instead of time? If so that is entirely up to you. We do tip over and above. And if we  find a couple of really good bartenders the last day we make sure to give a little more extra.

3 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Is it safe to assume you meant tip instead of time? If so that is entirely up to you. We do tip over and above. And if we  find a couple of really good bartenders the last day we make sure to give a little more extra.

Yes, I meant tip. 😁

• Like 1

When you order beer, is it in cans or by the glass? Can you get a can or bottle of beer that is unopened? Also, can you order drinks while seated for dinner with Cheers, or do you grab a drink on the way to dinner?  I feel like the answer is "Yes" but thought I would get clarification. Thanks!

Edited by RumpunchGirl

Trying to remember but I think they cans, bottles and tap. Yes you can order drinks at dinner on Cheers, service can be slow, but we tipped the cocktail waitress and she found us every night for our dinner Cabernet. You can also go to a bar and bring a drink to dinner. 

On 6/1/2019 at 9:57 PM, RumpunchGirl said:

If the bar is busy you wait if its not you don't wait long 

If I see the line is clear at the bar I might slip in and grab a drink on my way to somewhere else 

in the comedy club and the shows it takes a bit of time to get drinks and refills so normally for those i will put my next order in when they come back with my drink as normally by the time they are done gathering more drink orders and dropping off the round they have its been 5 minutes

and if you get to know a bartender and they know you get the same thing you can usually give a little head nod and they will start preparing what you want without asking 

5 hours ago, jdolsen1 said:

Can you please provide more details regarding the 10% gift card discount through AARP? Is this available to anyone at any time? I'm always looking to save a little money!

You do quizzes on the AARP website and earn points.  You then use those points to buy Carnival gift cards for 10% off.  I bought a $500 gift card for $450.  Every little bit helps. 

5 hours ago, jdolsen1 said:

Can you please provide more details regarding the 10% gift card discount through AARP? Is this available to anyone at any time? I'm always looking to save a little money!

From what I understand you don't have to be an AARP member to use the site. You just go to AARP.org and submit a user name and password. Just for creating a login you get points. Then you can explore the site. Check out the Goods for Rewards tab, earn points, Rewards catalog etc. You take quizzes and surveys to earn points.  The Carnival Gift Cards are $100 and $500 for. You must use 1000 points plus $90 to get the $100 GC and 5000 points plus $450 to get the $500. The AARP site doesn't always have these GC available but I've seen them there for a few months now.  It's a great way to save money on a vacatioin!

On 6/2/2019 at 1:37 PM, RumpunchGirl said:

Yes, I meant tip. 😁

Tipping with the Cheers package can be a touchy subject on some boards!  😉

I've started preparing my tips ahead of time--dollar bill origami.  It only takes a single one dollar tip for the bartenders to remember you and your cocktail of choice, when that dollar bill is folded to look like a dress, a wine glass or a fish.  It's fun for me to take an hour or so and fold some dollar bills while watching television, plus it adds to the excitement of preparing for the next trip, and I know it's something that will be appreciated.  If i were at any other bar, I'd include that extra tip anyway for my drinks.

• Like 1

Did a cruise in Nov 2018 and May 2019.  Cheers on both.  Tipped a few bartenders on the November cruise.  A $5 here and there.  Didn't do it a all on the May cruise.  I do think it made a difference to tip.  Cruising in Dec of this year and plan to tip extra.  I think the extra tips seem to help when the bar is really busy and the bartender sees you waiting to order.

On 6/5/2019 at 7:20 PM, k.davis817 said:

I've started preparing my tips ahead of time--dollar bill origami.  It only takes a single one dollar tip for the bartenders to remember you and your cocktail of choice, when that dollar bill is folded to look like a dress, a wine glass or a fish.  It's fun for me to take an hour or so and fold some dollar bills while watching television, plus it adds to the excitement of preparing for the next trip, and I know it's something that will be appreciated. 

Omg this is the best idea ever! I agree, the bartenders will start remembering you very quickly!!!!

Another thing I was wondering about, can you bring your own drink cup and have the bartenders use it for your beer or mixed drinks? I have an awesome insulated tall cup that keeps my drinks cold for hours. I brought it to a Sandals resort and they just filled it with whatever I wanted.  I know I can always just pour my drink in it, but it would make it easier if they could make the drinks in my cup. thanks!