When flying, how do YOU reduce airfare costs for last minute cruises? (no promos)

fstuff1

i sail solo and wait till last minute specials (ie: 1 week before sail) where it drops to $50/day or less, plus port fees/taxes. (see my sig)

that means sailaway GTY cabins which doesnt come with perks. ie: no free airfare.

i live within driving distance to NYC but now im trying other ports.

waiting last minute to book airfare is expensive. 😞

What's you plan on reducing airfare costs for last minute cruises?

Edited by fstuff1

Make sure the ports you are watching have service from an airline you have a way to redeem points in. You can also do a smaller, less expensive port and then attempt a 1way car rental (i. e., fly into Orlando and drive down to FLL or MIA).

If talking Europe, watch IcelandAir and look for a high speed train connection to get you to the port city.

GOOD LUCK!

Another tactic is to get smart with your choice of credit card(s), careful choice and use through the year can rack up some handy airmiles which may allow for low cost travel even late in the game; Southwest for example.

One other option...if you are within driving distance to NYC, you can also check out the port  in Bayonne, NJ for different last minute cruises.  And perhaps you are close enough to Boston to drive to that port?

I check all airlines going to the airport I want and compare prices. American has their cheapest fares if

you don't care where you sit as the cheapest fares don't assign seats ahead of time and you take what they

give you at the airport. I have seen it as low as $100 less than regular coach. Of course you do have

to pay for checked bags but they have lifted the restriction with this fare and now include one personal

and one carry on item. If you pack light you can save that too.

30 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

I check all airlines going to the airport I want and compare prices. American has their cheapest fares if

you don't care where you sit as the cheapest fares don't assign seats ahead of time and you take what they

give you at the airport. I have seen it as low as $100 less than regular coach. Of course you do have

to pay for checked bags but they have lifted the restriction with this fare and now include one personal

and one carry on item. If you pack light you can save that too.

i always do carry on.

i hate random seats. :classic_angry:

i would probably pay the extra for an aisle seat.

• Like 1

I have found round trip flights between Florida and Vancouver B.C. for as low as $190 USD by using Google Flights. That is not the norm, it is usually closer to $350 round trip (I make that trip multiple times a year) It's still far cheaper than shopping directly on the specific airline's websites. I've just booked for July and round trip it will be $580, that's the most I've ever had to pay... but expected that flying into Canada in the heart of their tourist season. 

Google Flights... check it out :)

• Like 1

I feel your pain.  Flight $ can make/break a trip.  Have you considered Atlantic City Airport?  It is Spirit which some love/hate.  I mostly fly out of AC which is convenient to me.  Small airport and I get first flight out in a.m.  Never had a problem.

Buying a ticket last minute is tricky...that is why I feel your pain.  It is a crapshoot.  

I have been watching fares also.  Good luck 🙂

I forgot to mention...Trenton Airport since you would be driving from NYC.  Trenton houses Frontier and Allegiant.  I have used both those airlines.  It is another small Airport, but it gets you from Point A to point B. Keep a watch on Atlantic City and Trenton Airports if not already on your radar. 🙂

Use one of the comparison sites to find a lot of different prices and pic the best rate you can find.  Fly on cheaper days which may mean staying in the port city a night or two before the cruise.   Fining an inexpensive hotel for a few days may be cheaper than the more expensive airfare.  I have used these guys to comparison shop and have done very well.

http://www.anrdoezrs.net/gh116y1A719PRVQUWTRPRTXQQTSY

LMAO, hi me!

I'm the same way. I'm a solo cruiser and ONLY do last minute cruises since they significantly lower the fees (or drop them!). I did it 2 years ago in Alaska, and I'm trying to do the same exact thing now. I'm in LA and flights to/from the West Coast of the US and Canada aren't usually too high last minute. That said, I was foolish and canceled a one way LAX to Vancouver flight for $145 which is now at over $400 =/ . 

15 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

i sail solo and wait till last minute specials (ie: 1 week before sail) where it drops to $50/day or less, plus port fees/taxes. (see my sig)

that means sailaway GTY cabins which doesnt come with perks. ie: no free airfare.

i live within driving distance to NYC but now im trying other ports.

waiting last minute to book airfare is expensive. 😞

What's you plan on reducing airfare costs for last minute cruises?

So let us in on your secret, for late last minute cruises, do you phone the cruise line direct and haggle or use an agent ?