Real animal sanctuary

CarolinaQC

Hi!

I'm cruising to Roatan in December and I really would like to see Roatan's wildlife, monkeys, sloth, birds... I've seen a lot of options, however, I'm really worried about the animal's well-being ... I really don't want to see just caged animals and leashed monkeys who are there only to make tourist happy... Do you know about some REAL sanctuary, some natural reserve or something like that were I could find the animals in safe and good conditions?

Thank you very much

• Like 1

Have you checked Daniel Johnson’s Monkey & Sloth Hangout?  We visited there last year and were told their organization exists because people tried to make “pets” out of the animals and then couldn’t properly care for them.  The animals are well cared for but they are in cages.  We did see sloths there just hanging out in trees though.  Gumbalimba Park also has animals some in cages and some roaming free on a wide expanse of beautiful property.  

• Like 1

I am not at all sure there is a proper animal sanctuary on the island. Wait, the iguana place has been on the island for year and years saving iguana from being dinner. 

Daniels does have a very good reputation as does Maya Key.  

Please be aware, monkeys, sloth and macaw birds are not native to Roatan. 

Roatan is part of the country of Honduras which is one of the poorest countries in the world.  It is really a 3rd world nation.  So there are "animal santuaries" but you have to keep that in mind.  They are rescued animals that are now being used for tourism dollars.  They do their best to take really good care of them, but ...  it is still a 3rd world country.  

The Iguana farm is the only place on the island, that I know of, that the animals are free to come and go as they want.  The hundreds of iguanas hang out there, at the owners house which has a fence around it, nothing more....for a reason, free food and they are not hunted like the rest of island.  Yes, people of Roatan eat iguanas.  So it isn't a zoo or farm.... it is a man's house where he has built a safe place for iguanas to hang out and live.  The entrance fee goes towards food for them.  

RoatanScreenCapture8-XL.jpg

Edited by ABQrobin

Thank you so much for your replies! I understand the animals are a way of living for the locals, just not shure I want to be a part of it and get sad for the rest of the trip... There is so many things to do in Roatan, maybe opting for something else. Thank you very much!

21 minutes ago, CarolinaQC said:

Thank you so much for your replies! I understand the animals are a way of living for the locals, just not shure I want to be a part of it and get sad for the rest of the trip... There is so many things to do in Roatan, maybe opting for something else. Thank you very much!

Roatan is really all about what is under the water. I pretty much spend my time either reading, swimming or snorkeling. I have no interest in any sort of caged animals. If I wish to see animals I would go to where they live happy and free. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 9:43 AM, CarolinaQC said:

Sloths are not native to Roatan.  You will not see them in the wild.  If my memory serves me correctly Monkeys are not native either.  Daniel Johnson's is the only place I will go on the island to see either of the creatures.  He has rescued his animals from unloving households or situations where they cannot be cared for.  I had my first tour of the place with Daniel himself.  He genuinely loves his animals and treats them like they are his babies.  I also know that his animals are under Vet care.  That was one of the first questions I asked before I booked going there.  Also if they are "behaved" (ie not aggressive to others when there are people there) he allows them out in the trees and they do not spend their life stuck in cages. On a funny note on my last visit he had a raccoon!  These are not native to Roatan.  Yes, they stay in their "cage" which is really a nice environment for a trash panda.  LOL! 

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:43 AM, CarolinaQC said:

If your cruise is heading to Belize City, the Belize Zoo, also an animal rescue place, is closer to what you're looking for.  for me, I'm not sure I want to be walking around an area where jaguars run free.