Any Tips/Advice for a First Time NCL Cruiser

20 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

The application is free, only works on the ship but you need to download it before you board.  Then when onboard the cell phone goes into airplane mode and then you connect to ship's wifi.  You will be able to see all the activities throughout the day instead of carrying around the Freestyle Daily.

Does this app work on a tablet.? I do not possess a smart phone

On 6/11/2019 at 4:21 PM, Bajan Keith said:

Sounds good👍.

I take it that this area will not be as crowded at sailaway as the higher decks?

I would move quickly after the lifeboat drill.  If you head straight there, you can find a great spot.

One "secret" I wish I had know on my first NCL sailing is that continental breakfast room service is free! I didn't find out until just before my second cruise. In your room you should find door hanger cards that you fill out and leave outside your door in the evening. The next morning they will deliver breakfast to your room during your specified time window. It's not a complete breakfast, as no hot items are offered, but we now do this as a "first breakfast" on our balcony every day with just pastries and coffee while we get ready and then head to the MDR, buffet, or O'sheehan's for "second breakfast" once we are showered and dressed. The "hot" items at the bottom of the card still incur the $7.95 room service fee. Here's what the cards look like:

HXSrD3eRv0um207B8zrYxg_K-w26oo--0j_UzMXU

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

One "secret" I wish I had know on my first NCL sailing is that continental breakfast room service is free! I didn't find out until just before my second cruise. In your room you should find door hanger cards that you fill out and leave outside your door in the evening. The next morning they will deliver breakfast to your room during your specified time window. It's not a complete breakfast, as no hot items are offered, but we now do this as a "first breakfast" on our balcony every day with just pastries and coffee while we get ready and then head to the MDR, buffet, or O'sheehan's for "second breakfast" once we are showered and dressed. The "hot" items at the bottom of the card still incur the $7.95 room service fee. Here's what the cards look like:

HXSrD3eRv0um207B8zrYxg_K-w26oo--0j_UzMXU

Thanks for the info.

How does Room Service work generally in terms of fees? Does the $7.95 only apply to hot breakfast items or to any other time in general?

10 minutes ago, Bajan Keith said:

Thanks for the info.

How does Room Service work generally in terms of fees? Does the $7.95 only apply to hot breakfast items or to any other time in general?

This pretty much covers it:

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 USD will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

*Prices subject to change.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bajan Keith said:

Thanks for the info.

$7.95 is the standard delivery fee for any room service outside of the free continental breakfast unless you are in the Haven. Then room service is free any time of day.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ColinIllinois said:

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 USD will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

Thanks Colin

22 minutes ago, Lupush said:

Bring your own toilet paper.  The toilet paper that NCL uses is like wiping your hind end with sandpaper.

They have that type of TP because it doesn't clog up their special toilet systems like home TP does.

51 minutes ago, Lupush said:

Bring your own toilet paper.  The toilet paper that NCL uses is like wiping your hind end with sandpaper.

I would call and confirm this is okay if considering it. They have a lot of signs about not flushing anything other than toilet paper (ie: paper towels or wet wipes) down the toilets because their vacuum toilet system could become clogged. I always bring my own toilet paper when taking land-based vacations, but I would hesitate to do so on a cruise because it's not the usual sewage system you deal with on land.

28 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

They have that type of TP because it doesn't clog up their special toilet systems like home TP does.

I know why they have this type of TP.  I can tell you as a Hospitality Professional for over 20 years the primary reason they have it is due to cost.  The brand and variety they use (Scott I believe) has been known as the cheapest in the industry for years.  They use the "won't clog up" reason to cover this up.  If you go on the higher end cruise lines you won't see that kind of quality.

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

I would call and confirm this is okay if considering it. They have a lot of signs about not flushing anything other than toilet paper (ie: paper towels or wet wipes) down the toilets because their vacuum toilet system could become clogged. I always bring my own toilet paper when taking land-based vacations, but I would hesitate to do so on a cruise because it's not the usual sewage system you deal with on land.

Been doing it for years and have asked.  They said that as long as it's toilet paper ONLY (not towels, flushable wipes, etc) it's OK.

11 minutes ago, Lupush said:

Been doing it for years and have asked.  They said that as long as it's toilet paper ONLY (not towels, flushable wipes, etc) it's OK.

Good to know! Been on 6 NCL cruises so far and wish I had known sooner!

2 minutes ago, Lupush said:

It's game changing, Jamie!

Not to derail the topic entirely, but on our first NCL sailing, a man coming out of one of the public restrooms said to my SO, "they've got that John Wayne toilet paper... don't take sh** from no one" and ever since then, we use the phrase "John Wayne toilet paper" all the time! 😋

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ColinIllinois said:

So, if I'm reading this right, if I want to order room service coffee, they will charge me $7.95?  Is that right?

Just now, CSloan said:

So, if I'm reading this right, if I want to order room service coffee, they will charge me $7.95?  Is that right?

Not if you order it in the morning using the room service cards I linked above. But if you just call up and/or order any other time of day, then yes. However, most rooms have coffee makers in them. Your room steward should restock your coffee supplies twice a day.

15 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Not if you order it in the morning using the room service cards I linked above. But if you just call up and/or order any other time of day, then yes. However, most rooms have coffee makers in them. Your room steward should restock your coffee supplies twice a day.

Wow - didn't realize most rooms have coffee makers.  We'll be in an aft Mini Suite on the Sun. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, CSloan said:

Wow - didn't realize most rooms have coffee makers.  We'll be in an aft Mini Suite on the Sun. Thanks!

Yep! You should be all set then. If you need more creamer or sugar or whatever than the steward is normally supplying, just leave a note that you need more of something and they will definitely accommodate you.

30 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

My wife will be very happy to hear that the room has its own coffeee maker...she must have her coffee on mornings.

Is it the single serve type coffee maker ?