Are the cruise excursion "deals" on Royal's website real deals?

I'm a bit confused about the prices on Royal Caribbean's Excursion website (the one where you can actually purchase stuff from after you bought a cruise).

I bought a full day at Coco Cay pass which was listed at 10% off, so it came up to $56.99. When I go look today, the price is no longer 10% off, but it is showing up at $56.99 anyway. Is that the regular price?

I also booked a Nassau by Air and Sea which was 20% off. However, the price is showing up the same $73.99 for adult and $54.99 for kid. As is, I'm finding it weird that the percentage off prices ended at $0.99...

Does anyone have any experience with this or bought excursions in the past and had similar issues?

Also is there a place to check what the regular prices are for these things so I can really see if something is a good deal?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide!

Edited by godwheel

5 minutes ago, godwheel said:

I bought a full day at Cococay which was listed at 10% off, so it came up to $56.99. When I go look today, the price is no longer 10% off, but it is showing up at $56.99. Is that the regular price? ...

Royal uses dynamic pricing.  You will frustrate yourself if you try to figure out how they compute their "percent off" numbers.  Just look at the bottom line and ignore any of the "percent off" stuff.

2 minutes ago, godwheel said:

I'm a bit confused about the prices on Royal Caribbean's Excursion website (the one where you can actually purchase stuff from after you bought a cruise).

I bought a full day at Coco Cay pass which was listed at 10% off, so it came up to $56.99. When I go look today, the price is no longer 10% off, but it is showing up at $56.99 anyway. Is that the regular price?

I also booked a Nassau by Air and Sea which was 20% off. However, the price is showing up the same $73.99 for adult and $54.99 for kid. As is, I'm finding it weird that the percentage off prices ended at $0.99...

Does anyone have any experience with this or bought excursions in the past and had similar issues?

Also is there a place to check what the regular prices are for these things so I can really see if something is a good deal?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide!

I've purchased several shore excursions through the Cruise Planner after booking a cruise.  Don't worry about the wording that tells you what percentage discount you are getting, just watch the prices.  Also, anytime you purchase a shore excursion, and the price drops, you just cancel the one you have, and then repurchase it for the lower price.  Unfortunately, RCCL doesn't just credit the difference:  you have to cancel and rebook.  This is also true for anything else you buy in the Cruise Planner.

But, it's worth the effort.  I booked Chops at a reduced price, and cancelled/rebooked it twice more.  I ended up with $21.99 per person.  Using our C&A BOGO coupon, the dinner cost us $21.99 for two people.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

A good price is one that you are happy paying for that experience.

Yeah I choose my experiences first, but if I can save some money along the way to help pay for things it's always a nice bonus. I can't imagine anyone that would rather pay $69 for something if they can pay $50 for the same thing. 

Thanks for the insight and way. 🙂

17 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Royal uses dynamic pricing.  You will frustrate yourself if you try to figure out how they compute their "percent off" numbers.  Just look at the bottom line and ignore any of the "percent off" stuff.

Ok that's very helpful to know. It had bee over 10 years since I last cruised, so wasn't aware of how things worked. 

18 minutes ago, pcur said:

I've purchased several shore excursions through the Cruise Planner after booking a cruise.  Don't worry about the wording that tells you what percentage discount you are getting, just watch the prices.  Also, anytime you purchase a shore excursion, and the price drops, you just cancel the one you have, and then repurchase it for the lower price.  Unfortunately, RCCL doesn't just credit the difference:  you have to cancel and rebook.  This is also true for anything else you buy in the Cruise Planner.

But, it's worth the effort.  I booked Chops at a reduced price, and cancelled/rebooked it twice more.  I ended up with $21.99 per person.  Using our C&A BOGO coupon, the dinner cost us $21.99 for two people.

Ditto. We will continue to check and see if any deals show up for what I already bought. Hehe. I saw the unlimited dining package at 50% off (had huge pink banner saying 50% off) and made me think it's regularly $190 and did some math and seemed cheaper than booking each dining restaurant by itself. But price is still $95 per person so you can imagine my confusion. 

Now I know better and can temper my expectations.

Thanks everyone.

A couple of times, I found that the price online is a discount from purchasing on-board.

So, the price didn't change online prior to the cruise, despite emails or banners that there was a sale, but when I checked after we boarded, it was more on-board.