Passport or Copy

On 6/10/2019 at 7:26 AM, stevea36 said:

If you are going to be left behind the ships' security staff will open your safe and retrieve your passports and leave them with the port agent.   If you have some other sort of emergency they will get them to you.

Exactly, we never take our passport off the ship, unless required.  Miss the ship and your passport is waiting, have it lost or stolen while in port and nothing but trouble. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

From 2 personal experience excursion medical situations...rest assured...that is not at all how it worked in 2 different Royal Caribbean port countries.

They would do emergency treatment, but injuries required numerous forms (including an "incident report" - not an insurance or medical form) plus a short list of acceptable ID (passport being one of a few) before getting ANY additional onsite treatment. Life-threatening cases are handled differently.

We can only speculate how more complicated this could have been had a helicopter evacuation been required (in a foreign nation).

So...much lake many topics on this site - one size doesn't fit all when it comes to how to handle travel situations, and general practices do not apply in some cases. Our experience has been to wisely have your passport with you when off the ship in non-U.S. travel locations to address any ID requirement. Since its a very small thing to carry...having one securely with us is easy peasy.

I'll take your word for it but the passport is still readily obtainable from the ship. Yes, one size doesn't fit all. But again this all comes down to analyzing risk and from my point of view the odds of anything happening is very low and I am more than comfortable with that very low risk. Others would analyze things differently. Your way works for you, and my way works for me. (And if I'm wrong I'm the only one that pays the price for being "unwise".)

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I'll take your word for it but the passport is still readily obtainable from the ship. Yes, one size doesn't fit all. But again this all comes down to analyzing risk and from my point of view the odds of anything happening is very low and I am more than comfortable with that very low risk. Others would analyze things differently. Your way works for you, and my way works for me. (And if I'm wrong I'm the only one that pays the price for being "unwise".)

Thanks for your reply. In one of the two cases I referenced about a medical situation on an excursion - the injury took place more than 30 miles from the ship - getting the passport from the ship was not an option. 

Whatever works is good...in the context of the original post... lessons learned here have prompted us to have passports readily available, and carrying them has been no challenge at all.

47 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Thanks for your reply. In one of the two cases I referenced about a medical situation on an excursion - the injury took place more than 30 miles from the ship - getting the passport from the ship was not an option. 

Whatever works is good...in the context of the original post... lessons learned here have prompted us to have passports readily available, and carrying them has been no challenge at all.

Yes, if I had had your experience it might cause me to re-think the issue. Operative word being "might".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

So if you get injured on an excursion and medical or hospital personnel require proof of your ID and citizenship...just running back to the ship will cure that problem. Uh huh.  It only takes once to learn planning ahead for things is prudent, not just convenient.

You are just looking for excuses to support your way, aren't you? 

Nothing you have written is an obstacle. Arrangements can always be made to retrieve a passport if absolutely necessary in the very rare event that you must have it for some reason, no matter how far away you may be from the ship. If you are the type who likes activities that often need medical care, or occasionally do something so bad that local officials need to interrogate you and demand that you to "show your papers", then by all means take your passport with you for those frequent incidents. Apparently you need it much more often than the rest of us. 😉

Edited by SantaFeFan

1 hour ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

WOW - just WOW.

So based on your post...medical emergencies are not a legitimate reason for having proper ID?

WOW. Unreal.

You just proved my point!!! You are only looking to start an argument.

I never said said that medical emergencies were not a legitimate reason for having proper ID. I said that if needed during an emergency, it is relatively straight forward to arrange for a passport to be retrieved IF needed. Nothing "WOW - just WOW" about that observation. 

I think you need to worry more about your lack of reading comprehension than worry about your next emergency where you might need a passport. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

4 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

You just proved my point!!! You are only looking to start an argument.

I never said said that medical emergencies were not a legitimate reason for having proper ID. I said that if needed during an emergency, it is relatively straight forward to arrange for a passport to be retrieved IF needed. Nothing "WOW - just WOW" about that observation. 

I think you need to worry more about your lack of reading comprehension than worry about your next emergency where you might need a passport. 

Clearly your posts are not intended to help people or provide legitimate information...only debate.

The information provided previously gave real-world samples of where actual cases in other countries required a passport to be in one's possession to avoid all sorts of negative issues. Those came from first-hand (not hypothetical) cases. They applied to the original post and topic. They were experienced both in Europe and Asia. 

In contrast...you then chose to argue, methodically insult, and offer retorts with off-topic banter - you helped no one. 

Hopefully you nor anyone else ever needs to experience being without a passport in hand during a critical medical or other situation a foreign nation. Learning a lesson the hard way is avoidable.

1 hour ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Clearly your posts are not intended to help people or provide legitimate information...only debate.

The information provided previously gave real-world samples of where actual cases in other countries required a passport to be in one's possession to avoid all sorts of negative issues. Those came from first-hand (not hypothetical) cases. They applied to the original post and topic. They were experienced both in Europe and Asia. 

In contrast...you then chose to argue, methodically insult, and offer retorts with off-topic banter - you helped no one. 

Hopefully you nor anyone else ever needs to experience being without a passport in hand during a critical medical or other situation a foreign nation. Learning a lesson the hard way is avoidable.

Here's a lesson that some passengers learned the hard way- they lost their passports while ashore (I believe it was stolen but in any event they no longer had them) and when they told the ship the ship put them ashore immediately. Passengers are expected to have the proper documentation to be on the ship and since they no longer had it the ship could no longer keep them on-board. As you have said one size doesn't fit all and people are going to make their decisions on what works best for them and there is no right or wrong answer. So basically there is no point arguing one's point since no one will convince anyone else to change their practice (which is different than offering food for thought for those following the thread who still need to decide what to do).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

Here's a lesson that some passengers learned the hard way- they lost their passports while ashore (I believe it was stolen but in any event they no longer had them) and when they told the ship the ship put them ashore immediately. Passengers are expected to have the proper documentation to be on the ship and since they no longer had it the ship could no longer keep them on-board. As you have said one size doesn't fit all and people are going to make their decisions on what works best for them and there is no right or wrong answer. So basically there is no point arguing one's point since no one will convince anyone else to change their practice (which is different than offering food for thought for those following the thread who still need to decide what to do).

Thanks for your added insights and example. 

6 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Your post is insulting and offensive.

He described his experiences over 50 years and in dozens if countries. Not sure how THAT is argumentative. Apparently, the big difference between what you wrote and what he wrote is that you think you are the only one who has worthwhile information to share, and he doesn't. I see no methodical insults, no retorts offered, or off-topic banter in his posts. I DO see aggressive, defensive fighting back on your part. As he has clearly described, access to passports secured in a safe is possible if needed. His posts DO NOT use fear to get his point across as yours do. 

I am clearly on his side, obviously. My husband and I have always keep our passports in our safes. We don't subscribe to living our life in fear of what may happen. We prefer to make rational, mature decisions that allow us to live our lives with an appreciation for the travel we take, not constantly overprotecting ourselves and living in a bubble in an attempt to avoid incidents that are rare. You have a right to protect yourself against every possible scenario you are afraid of, but you do not have a right to denigrate and ridicule those of us who do not do as you proselytize. 

Edited by PTMary

18 minutes ago, PTMary said:

Your post is insulting and offensive.

Why you are suddenly injecting yourself in a 2-way response conversation is at minimum out of line. This isn’t about picking sides either.

It’s about someone asking a question about recommendations for using a passport or a copy.

Your post added nothing if value to the conversation and simple added your own volatile tone.

Having shared the thread and specifically the last 2 pages of posts with 5 other people...

the consistent feedback was “why would anyone argue about the information that other person was given?...it’s simple a real world example.”

Sharing examples where having a passport with someone (not a copy) were critical necessary is not argumentative or insulting in any way.

In contrast...the other posters remarks that included “ must have a lack of reading comprehension “ is blatantly insulting.

Let’s all agree to work together to help people and no more.

• Like 1