Viking Venus Maiden Voyage

Haworth

On 1/11/2020 at 10:55 AM, DGHOC said:

Has Viking previously asked you whether you are accepting the offer of the cruise John? I'm amazed that we haven't all heard at the same time and I fully expected that we would receive detail before an assumption is made that we are going.

Well well, time will tell. Either way the itinerary sounds fab, what a delight!

Viking didn’t ask me if I accepted the offer. However when the offer was first extended to us I wrote Mr Hagen thanking him for it and that we were looking forward to it.  I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that is the reason I wasn’t asked.    Johneb2

it wasn’t my intention to get anyone concerned about not hearing from Viking yet.  I think I just stumbled into the info due to a unique situation.  Even with that, the information was still incomplete.  I am sure we will all get updated info soon.  I only responded the way I did because there was a concern raised that our invitational cruise would not come off.  With all the Viking cruises my wife & I have taken, we have never had any problems with them communicating trip details to us.  I don’t foresee this being handled any different.  I understand all the special circumstances they have to setup because of our unique circumstances.  I am willing to be patient. Knowing the way Viking does things I wouldn’t be surprised if they setup some “special “ things for us!   Let’s see and think about a great cruise that may be awaiting us😊

3 hours ago, johneb2 said:

I only responded the way I did because there was a concern raised that our invitational cruise would not come off.  😊

Believe you're pointing the finger in my direction (re: post #85)....but that's ok....just me being overanxious.

I agree with you that undoubtedly there will be something special or surprising in store for the Sky guests. Let's see...for those who stayed on board - a small, plexiglass-framed snippet from one of the life vests as a souvenir (since I think they were in them for around 24 hours) might be nice (akin to when players cut pieces of the net after winning the NCAA championship), and, for those who got the free helicopter ride - a set of ear plugs would be good (I still have mine that one of the airmen gave me...since I was directly across from the opening....and, man, it was COLD with that wind coming in through the hatch...loud too) or maybe a "CHC" bumper sticker. I still think a "We survived the Sky" shirt would be totally awesome. 

OK...just joking around, of course (well, maybe not about the shirt idea). In all seriousness, what a cool and once-in-a-lifetime (didn't we already have one of those? )experience it should be with Mr. Hagen and whatever he has planned for us.

Edited by OnTheJourney

7 hours ago, johneb2 said:

Viking didn’t ask me if I accepted the offer. However when the offer was first extended to us I wrote Mr Hagen thanking him for it and that we were looking forward to it.  I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that is the reason I wasn’t asked.    Johneb2

it wasn’t my intention to get anyone concerned about not hearing from Viking yet.  I think I just stumbled into the info due to a unique situation.  Even with that, the information was still incomplete.  I am sure we will all get updated info soon.  I only responded the way I did because there was a concern raised that our invitational cruise would not come off.  With all the Viking cruises my wife & I have taken, we have never had any problems with them communicating trip details to us.  I don’t foresee this being handled any different.  I understand all the special circumstances they have to setup because of our unique circumstances.  I am willing to be patient. Knowing the way Viking does things I wouldn’t be surprised if they setup some “special “ things for us!   Let’s see and think about a great cruise that may be awaiting us😊

Most of us aren't concerned at all John, please don't think you've made any of us anxious. It was good of you to post the information. Patience is a virtue!

The fact that it shows up with your agent could just be an anomaly. We book directly with Viking UK so don't use agents. We could of course call them but the detail will come through when it's been finalised so we're quite relaxed about it. We'll probably extend either side of the trip but there's plenty of time to organise that, heck it's a year away.

Thanks again for the information you posted.

• Like 1

Through my TA (  & TA web portal), I checked to see if I could dig up anymore info about the chairman's cruise.  The only thing that was listed was that any excursions would become available on Oct 1, 2020.  There was not even a map of the itinerary yet.  So I believe we are just starting to see some info filtering down, as we still have a year to go.   Sorry On the Journey, I wasn't trying to single you out, just trying to let everyone know what I happen to stumble across when I saw the concern raised.  JohnEB2

8 hours ago, DGHOC said:

Most of us aren't concerned at all

How do you know?  I get what you're saying, but think about the number of Sky passengers who very possibly never even heard of cruise critic and thus would have never voiced anything here! I'm sure I'm not the only overanxious passenger...but...indeed patience IS a virtue!! I'll (try to) hang loose on it....undoubtedly lots of details to iron out on Viking's end. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 1/11/2020 at 10:55 AM, DGHOC said:

Has Viking previously asked you whether you are accepting the offer of the cruise John? I'm amazed that we haven't all heard at the same time and I fully expected that we would receive detail before an assumption is made that we are going.

Well well, time will tell. Either way the itinerary sounds fab, what a delight!

For everyone who is interested, this was just posted by an individual on the Facebook topic of Viking Sky Survivors.  (Courtesy of Kate Miller)  I agree Viking has handled this well.   JohnEB2

...I just had a lovely phonecall from Viking UK informing me that emails should be going out tonight or tomorrow with further details on the Venus Inaugural . She did however confirm that guests will be allocated the cabins they had on the Sky and that gratuities were included. Extra charges for Silver drinks package if required and for the non-included Excursions.
There maybe the option of upgrading/changing cabins at a later date once they have a firm idea of who is or isn’t accepting the invitation. 
Honestly cannot fault this company for their customer service.

I got the information forwarded to me by my TA (who is a GEM!!)  When I informed the people I traveled with they contacted their TA, and were able to get the information from them.  Once she sent me the information she said I would have to handle anything further with Viking - because they had made all the arrangements.  Airfare and gratuities are to be included.  Our room isn't exactly the same number - but is in the same area and same configuration (ship may be slightly different).  People we traveled with got exactly same cabins they had.  

Including airfare even?  Wow....going above and beyond once again. Looking forward to getting the information. Glad I booked our Sky room for the Iberian Explorer - since it sounds like we'll have the same rooms for the invitational - as probably most of us here expected would be the case. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 1/11/2020 at 10:47 AM, johneb2 said:

Actually it is Rome to Barcelona, according to the itinerary.   The email I received is from notifications@vikingcruises.com.  We had to update our PIF due to a passport change.  On the initial page it had our booking#, stateroom etc. for the Venus invitational cruise.  Below is the port schedule.

DAY 1   Rome, Italy   PORT DEPARTURE: 11:00 PM

DAY 2   Florence/Pisa, Italy   PORT ARRIVAL: 9:00 AM

DAY 3   Florence/Pisa, Italy   PORT DEPARTURE: 6:00 PM

DAY 4   Monte Carlo, Monaco   PORT ARRIVAL: 8:00 AM   PORT DEPARTURE: 9:00 PM

DAY 5   Marseille, France   PORT ARRIVAL: 8:00 AM   PORT DEPARTURE: 6:00 PM

DAY 6   Montpellier (Sète), France   PORT ARRIVAL: 8:00 AM   PORT DEPARTURE: 9:00 PM

DAY 7   Barcelona, Spain   PORT ARRIVAL: 8:00 AM

JohnEB2

So it turns out to be the usual "Iconic Western Mediterranean" itinerary, as I suspected it would. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

We also got the email invite! So excited. I called to get a little more info. I was told there will not be any Viking pre or post extensions offered. Also that air deviations ( going early and / or returning later) will not be available with the free economy air (or upgrade thru Viking). At this moment the only thing available to add on is insurance and air upgrades. I really hope Viking will allow air deviations because we need a few days to recover in the new time zone. Not to mention, making sure we get to Rome in time to catch the ship! 

• Like 1

Pt.....thanks for the info. Got our email also and responded to it most affirmatively 🙂 

I also am wondering about the air - since we will probably be interested in going at least a day early. A bit risky planning to arrive in Rome not before the 18th, especially with this being a winter trip. And yet, It would appear, based on what you've been told, that all air handled by Viking will only be offered to arrive on embarkation day.  I suspected, as did my Viking agent, that no pre-cruise extensions would be offered, but thanks for mentioning that as well. I really don't prefer regular economy class anyway, but can understand that this is what is being offered - a VERY nice gesture to be sure.

Another question I have (and perhaps someone here will already know the answer shortly) is how it will be handled for those of us doing the Iberian Explorer which departs on the 26th. Might we be able to stay on board overnight? Most exciting to be sure! This should be a very special experience. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Only 6 nights....not 7. Just saw there is a discrepancy between the original "save the date" notice - which said the cruise starts on the 18th - and the new info we got, which says the 19th. Actually, if you look at the "Iconic Western Mediterranean" itinerary, it really only is 6 nights but then there is an overnight in Barcelona no matter which way the cruise is booked. So the extra day in Barcelona at the end of the cruise is what was eliminated, which makes sense since the next day is the beginning of the Iberian.  (Just call me a nitpicker for detail, wot?)  

Edited by OnTheJourney

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the official booking notice. I'm a bit surprised that they don't have it correct at the end of the trip. They have us transferring to Barcelona airport and then flying home. Since we already have the Iberian Explorer booking, I'd have thought they'd see that and not add return flight info. Guess whoever does these is only looking at confirming the Inaugural cruise and nothing else. Curious to see what others say once they get their notices. Also interesting is that on MVJ this inaugural booking doesn't even show up. It's as if this sailing is a thing onto itself, which is fine, as long as there are no glitches with those either doing a trip immediately before or after. I emailed our Viking agent to get his thoughts on it. I just get nervous when I see gaps or otherwise confusing and/or missing info in trip documentation. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

We also just received the inaugural voyage booking notice.  Since we're considering some independent travel before and/or after the cruise, our TA was in contact with Viking today. She was told that information regarding such requests as flight date changes or flight upgrades is expected to be available on April 15. 

Edited by JDincalif